Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EDIT: Breakdown of CO by class numbers (pulled from PS)

-JCN-

My GoogleFu is weak and I’m having a difficult time finding the most recent stats of how many USPSA members per division and breakdown of each classification within that division. 

For example, how many CO masters are there in the nation and how many total CO shooters if that information even exists. 

Just out of curiosity. Thanks for the help!

Edited by -JCN-

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

define what you mean by 'co shooters'. Is that people who shoot CO all the time? or people who are classified in CO but may have only shot it at 2 matches?

If the data isn’t there in either case, what does it matter. Right?

The simplest format would be “anyone who cared enough to classify in CO” which would encompass Open GMs that shot four classifiers in CO for fun as well as random Joes that did the same. 

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

There used to be a summary of the number of classifications per division and class on the USPSA website before the major overhaul. Since the update, it has been absent.

Thank you! That makes sense why I could only find past information.

I did a poor man's survey and looked at Practiscore events from today and tallied up all the events on the first page.

I'm not sure if this will paste okay. About 12% are M and above in CO. It's kind of an interesting class since it hasn't been around for a while.

image.thumb.png.d479920da25351628f3c30755aa40c8e.png

The one thing the graph doesn’t show is actual classification percentages, with USPSA your lowest classification is 1 down from your highest, in my case M in open, A in SS with a smoking 49%

I don’t shoot SS much

29 minutes ago, rishii said:

The one thing the graph doesn’t show is actual classification percentages, with USPSA your lowest classification is 1 down from your highest, in my case M in open, A in SS with a smoking 49%

I don’t shoot SS much

There are lots of things the graph doesn’t show, my friend. 

In this case, note that I only took participation numbers off people who were registered and completed matches on Sunday. They could be classed in a bunch of things (I’m classed in Revolver, for goodness sakes) but this was based on competition registration. 

What it also didn’t show are all the “U” competitors who might be “A” as soon as they get enough classifiers in due to them being “M” in other divisions. 

It’s not meant to be definitive anything. It’s a ballpark estimate off an imperfect sample, warts and all. 

2 hours ago, Stdz said:

They don't list the # of shooters in each division on a national level?

They won't even tell the members how many people are even just members... That data is to be sold and traded for the orgs benefit, not yours.

Think how non-transparent they were about high hit factors for years. We would all love to break down the membership data by division, location, age, classification and so on.

3 hours ago, rowdyb said:

They won't even tell the members how many people are even just members... That data is to be sold and traded for the orgs benefit, not yours.

Think how non-transparent they were about high hit factors for years. We would all love to break down the membership data by division, location, age, classification and so on.

Wait they used to hide the HHF number from people? 

The AD/BC or if you wish BCE/CE demarcation in practical shooting is definitely the introduction of practiscore. The things one knew about the org, shooting, matches, scores and such beyond one's own club was virtually nothing for most people.

If you're new enough you only know seeing a tablet for scoring at a match, talk to people who shot before then. What you hear will shock you. Paper sheets, pencils, bad penmanship, multiple points for bad data entry, each club hosting their own websites for scores, you classification being updated monthly not weekly, waiting a week(s) for scores, registering for big matches by mailing in a form you printed off and with a check, email list serves. And so on.

So yeah, good luck knowing with any real certainty the answer to questions like, "How many GM Production shooters are in my state?" or "How many people are classified in only one division?" or "What percentage of all members had at least 1 M or GM classification before the string of HHF changes and then that percentage from new M and GM's made after the HHFs were adjusted?"

They used to publish the number of classified shooters in each division per state, and now that everything is electronic data and scoring, that info is gone. I always thought it was interesting to see which states had the heat. 

I was going to write a python script that will scrape the uspsa.org/classification/[membernumber] page to calculate the distribution of classifications in each division, but I went to try to manually determine the approximate range of valid member numbers for L, A, and TY memberships and got blocked after submitting about 20 different requests in 1-2 minutes, so I really don't think it's a viable approach.

USPSA says they have 31k active members, so even if I had a list of every single active member number and assuming a 5 second wait between requests would be tolerated (I doubt it, based on what I saw) it would take almost two days to run the program. I think the only way this is reasonably going to happen is if USPSA publishes it or shares the data so someone else can analyze it. 

image.thumb.png.498def31ebe4ccf12d108e185e3ade2a.png

It used to be possible to scrape data from the USPSA website, but I guess they got smart about it, or just left the Cloudflare anti-DOS setting on.

A few people have/had access to the classification DB and could pull those numbers (I haven't for many years).

I think a reason classifier HHFs were "secret" for so long way back when was because they weren't updating them like they said and felt that way they could change them at any time and not need to tell anyone. 

They were also afraid others would use the HHF numbers to give out 'shadow classifications' without paying USPSA (waaaay back in the day 'Club classifications' where clubs issued classifications to their members based on match finish were a thing since it could take you a year or more to get a national classification-- in the early 90s, you'd hear things like  'He's a club A, national B'.

WAIT ONE MINUTE...

So did I just read that if you're classified in one Division, once you have enough classifier scores is another Division, you CANNOT classify lower than one level down from your other Division?

So if I'm an M class in, say, PCC. Then I decide to shoot Production. I will classify as A class regardless of my actual average classifier score? What if I classify in a 3rd division? Same?

#mindblown

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

It's been like that but now with the pcc division the difference between a shooters accurate classification in different divisions greater then ever. There are experienced USPSA shooters who for a change of pace shoot pcc or just switch to pcc. But there are lots of new shooters who have a hard time just hitting the more difficult targets with a handgun but can at least not have a bunch of misses shooting pcc. They may never shoot a match with a handgun. Of course it's difficult to be near the top in any division.

4 hours ago, anonymouscuban said:

So if I'm an M class in, say, PCC. Then I decide to shoot Production. I will classify as A class regardless of my actual average classifier score? What if I classify in a 3rd division? Same?

I'm 90% in Production currently, M. My PCC classification is like 62% and yet I'm an A in PCC. (It was IDPA that added an equity promotion in recent years)