Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 now vs RL1100 later..?

26 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I had the 1050 and upgraded to the RL1100, trust me do yourself a favor go the 1100 route and don't look back!  Buy once cry once and be done 😋

I went back and forth between trading in my recently purchased XL750 for either an RL1100 or Mark7 Evo, ordered then cancelled one of each actually... In the end decided to just hold onto the XL750 for now, and decided I'm going to buy an Evo once/if components become available again and/or stabilize.

The 750+casefeeder+MBF, while not ideal, works fine for me for now and would allow for me to tear through all the components I have on-hand in a few weeks if I wanted.

I just can't see upgrading to a better press right now when the only primers I can find are from scumbags charging ~$150 per 1K on auction sites. The way things are looking, we all probably better get used to more dry fire 😞 

On 8/6/2020 at 11:49 PM, ck1 said:

I went back and forth between trading in my recently purchased XL750 for either an RL1100 or Mark7 Evo, ordered then cancelled one of each actually... In the end decided to just hold onto the XL750 for now, and decided I'm going to buy an Evo once/if components become available again and/or stabilize.

The 750+casefeeder+MBF, while not ideal, works fine for me for now and would allow for me to tear through all the components I have on-hand in a few weeks if I wanted.

I just can't see upgrading to a better press right now when the only primers I can find are from scumbags charging ~$150 per 1K on auction sites. The way things are looking, we all probably better get used to more dry fire 😞 

The MK7 Evo is a hell of a press I own the Dillon RL1100 and the Evo, both automated... While the Dillon is an excellent press, the Evo is vastly superior but with that being said they both have their own unique quirks but once they're dialed in, you'll be golden~  I use the 1100 to process brass and ocassional relaoding, while the Evo is my dedicated press...

Here's a short video~ 

Edited by chgofirefighter
link ~

20 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

The MK7 Evo is a hell of a press I own the Dillon RL1100 and the Evo, both automated... While the Dillon is an excellent press, the Evo is vastly superior but with that being said they both have their own unique quirks but once they're dialed in, you'll be golden~  I use the 1100 to process brass and ocassional relaoding, while the Evo is my dedicated press...

Yeah, after getting in to the details I had already pretty much decided Evo > RL1100... but then I briefly got to check them both out next to one and other on a bench (well, an Evo and a S1050, but close enough, a buddy of mine just got an Evo and is giving his 1050 to his cousin), it's just not even close, the Evo is crazy. Yes, the Evo is more expensive, but it's easy to see why. I think if anyone was in the market and willing to spend $2000+ on a new press, if they see them next to one and other in the flesh, it makes the choice easy.

The Dillon presses are great, they work and can deliver the goods for sure, but next to the Evo, the Dillon designs show their age; the Dillon presses have lots of things hanging off them that look like something from Dr. Suess with bars and stuff sticking out like they were slapped on at the end, there's none of that on the the Evo, it's just an obviously more modern design.

The biggest takeaway for me though, as someone who hasn't spent much time really looking at a 1050/1100 and coming from a 650/750, might have been the station setup: on paper the 1050/1100 just looks like it has 2 less stations than an Evo, but to me it's really like 3 less stations (or 2.5 less depending on how you look at it) because the 1050/1100's don't allow you to use a die or do anything besides just prime at it's #4 station, whereas on the Evo the priming station can pull double duty doing something else there if one wants to. And I guess the big thing to me with the 1050/1100 is there isn't enough stations after the powder drop to seat and crimp separately and still run an MBF and a powder check... jumping up to the "big dog" press for more output/ to go faster, and one day automate, and not being able to use a powder check without combining seat/crimp is kind of silly IMO, I never really noticed that... unless I'm missing something?

To me, the better build/design plus the extra stations easily covers the $1000 price difference between the 1100 and Evo. But really, the RL1100 should be a $1500 press, not a $2000 press, and I think that extra $500 is just for the Dillon name and because they can IMHO.

Sick setup BTW!

Edited by ck1

6 minutes ago, ck1 said:

Yeah, after getting in to the details I had already pretty much decided Evo > RL1100... but then I briefly got to check them both out next to one and other on a bench (well, an Evo and a S1050, but close enough, a buddy of mine just got an Evo and is giving his 1050 to his cousin), it's just not even close, the Evo is crazy. Yes, the Evo is more expensive, but it's easy to see why. I think if anyone was in the market and willing to spend $2000+ on a new press, if they see them next to one and other in the flesh, it makes the choice easy.

The Dillon presses are great, they work and can deliver the goods for sure, but next to the Evo, the Dillon designs show their age; the Dillon presses have lots of things hanging off them that look like something from Dr. Suess with bars and stuff sticking out like they were slapped on at the end, there's none of that on the the Evo, it's just an obviously more modern design.

The biggest takeaway for me though, as someone who hasn't spent much time really looking at a 1050/1100 and coming from a 650/750, might have been the station setup: on paper the 1050/1100 just looks like it has 2 less stations than an Evo, but to me it's really like 3 less stations (or 2.5 less depending on how you look at it) because the 1050/1100's don't allow you to use a die or do anything besides just prime at it's #4 station, whereas on the Evo the priming station can pull double duty doing something else there if one wants to. And I guess the big thing to me with the 1050/1100 is there isn't enough stations after the powder drop to seat and crimp separately and still run an MBF and a powder check... jumping up to the "big dog" press for more output/ to go faster, and one day automate, and not being able to use a powder check without combining seat/crimp is kind of silly IMO, I never really noticed that... unless I'm missing something?

To me the better build/design plus the extra stations would more than cover the $1000 price difference between the 1100 and Evo.

Sick setup BTW!

I've tried using the DAA powder check and Dillon's one, decided to send them back due to them spilling powder.  No matter how much I cleaned the plunger it still allowed to spread a lil powder from the casing and that's not acceptable especially if you're loading 9mm Major.  Once the powder drop is verified you can from time to time verify powder to make sure your dropping the correct amount.  It's a lil more work but it beats having to waste powder all over the place~ and yes the Evo is on another level to be honest and Dillon while an excellent price has been showing it's aged.  Sadly, Dillon slightly makes improvement but they have the capital to go all out and totally re-design their press from the ground up.  However, I get what Dillon is doing...  They're marketing for the affordable press market and quite frankly for the price you can't beat Dillon.  But at the end of the day you get what you pay for! 

9mm Major kinda seems like it's own headache when it comes to case-fill/powder, but I think it kinda wouldn't be too hard to get a powder check working for a more "normal" caliber... My setup can do ~1000rds p/hr if everything's clicking along, but if/when I upgrade I'd want to be able to go faster, and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so without a powder check of some sort. 

Yeah, I totally get it, how Dillon operates makes total sense from a business standpoint, especially as a new reloader: collect the extra profit you've earned with your products and service while still making some good stuff that isn't priced too scary for new people to get into.

The funny thing about reloading equipment I've found is: the prices look different when compared from how they looked before you got into it, to when you're in.

A lot of us spend a lot of money on pricey guns without really thinking too much about it, that's just what they cost sometimes. But in reality, some of the presses and stuff probably cost a lot more to manufacture than guns, but have to come to market at a lower price-point because the market is much smaller. At $2800-3000 the Evo is probably the top-of-the-line manual "pro-sumer" press, and it can seem expensive; but, that's about the price of a decent Limited gun, Production gun plus all the kit, or entry-level Open gun... so it really isn't that crazy lol.

Before I got into it, spending $1500 for an XL750+case feeder+MBF seemed like kind of a lot (even though I've got more than a few guns that cost that much or more). But now that I've been reloading for a bit, ~$3500 or less for an Evo+MBF doesn't seem that bad at all, and I kinda wish I could jump back in time hahaha...

Again though, I think the real issue these days for all of us is the shortages with components: I've got about a year's or worth of primers, 2-3 years of bullets/powder and still don't know if that's enough, so I'm hesitant to upgrade my stuff right now... 😞

Edited by ck1
along

21 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Here's a short video~ 

AWESOME setup!  👍:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

CK1, I hear you man. After 10 weeks I got my 1100 few days ago. I’ll post some pics that can hopefully answer your and others questions.   BTW, I’m using the RCBS Lock Out die. 

So guys,  if you have any questions about the press please do not hesitate to ask. 

803E62B2-68DF-4328-8F5E-9148AF03ED54.jpeg

F1C18503-3E49-4C00-9263-E4866C7250CE.jpeg

0A898F7C-5723-4788-97B1-3D0E39184801.jpeg

898CA34E-929A-4936-A9AA-4B7E7B26E88E.jpeg

639E6232-242E-4C65-BE50-16752D514CCA.jpeg

Edited by Chapo