Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of coming back to prod with gen 5 34

rustychev

I have been a long time Single Stack shooter and really like my 1911 but I started SS because my work gun was not uspsa friendly (sig 226).  We have now switched to gen 5 glock 17s.  I am thinking of picking two 34s off the blue label program and shoot prod.  I would also like to play in CO dose anyone know if you can buy a OEM or other gen 5 slide so I can just swap slides.

I would be fine buy a mos 34 and will look at zev.  I did not see one when I looked but I could have just missed it.

After looking they do have a 17 gen 5  but dont see a 34.  but is 299 for a barre slide by the time you add all the parts I could just buy a full gun.

Edited by rustychev

Absolutely agree on the cost of aftermarket slide vs. complete OEM pistol.  The Gen5 G34 MOS sounds like it would be the ticket for you to be able to compete in both PROD and CO with very little additional out of pocket expense.

I think with the recent decision from Glock to discontinue certain Gen4 models (namely all of the 9mm variants that already have a Gen5 replacement) you should start seeing more aftermarket support for Gen5 but it will likely take awhile due to demand as well as supply chains recovering from COVID-19.

You said you were maybe looking to pick up 2 with your Blue Label coupons. Why not get a 34 for Production and a 17MOS for CO? The perceived value of a 34 in Production is the longer sight radius with the iron sights. In CO, with a dot, not as important I would think. YMMV.

4 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

You said you were maybe looking to pick up 2 with your Blue Label coupons. Why not get a 34 for Production and a 17MOS for CO? The perceived value of a 34 in Production is the longer sight radius with the iron sights. In CO, with a dot, not as important I would think. YMMV.

Was looking at the 34 as my pet load for my 1911 is a 125 blue that out of my work 17 only makes 127 PF but out of my 5" 1911 Im at 132 PF

Edit to add I was mostly looking at the slides because I was think a match gun and practice backup and did not want to buy 4 glocks. Plus only two a year blue label.  But maybe one MOS and one stock for this year and next.

Hello: You get the 34 for Production and a Glock 17 for carry optics. I like the Glock 17 over the 34 for carry optics. Or get a Glock 17 for CO and get a 34 slide for Production. I think it will be cheaper to get a complete pistol over just building up a slide setup. Another option would be to get Gen 3 34 and get a Gen 3 custom slide for CO. That is what I am thinking of doing with my 34 Gen 3 since I already have a barrel for a 17. Thanks, Eric

I honestly don't agree with going with a 17 for CO. I tested both side-by-side and I found the 34 still balanced better and gave me better accuracy at longer ranges. The only reason I keep a 17 MOS is for IPSC.