Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 and Freedom Munitions 135 gr HP

Stafford

Ordered 500 rounds that arrived this week. Shot a box of 50 to test it out in my Shadow 2 and it ran without issue. Took it to a match today and had a weird problem. Twice, on unload and show clear, the round locked up the barrel and wouldn’t eject. After a couple of pulls, it finally ejected the round.

On my last stage at show clear it completely locked up for an extended time and I wasn’t sure I could get the round out. Eventually, it finally came out, but it was a bit of an ordeal. The RO thought it might have been a round loaded a bit long. Any ideas. Never had this type of issue before.

Same happened to me when I bought my SP01 Shadow.  Round is too long.  I solved the problem by shortening to OAL 1.09. Eventually I sent my barrel to get reamed so I could load longer.

Since your running factory ammo you might want to consider getting your barrel reamed. 

Edited by ramnj

What I have in stock is Winchester Service Grade 115 grain and this Freedom Munitions 135 grain HP match ammo. So, I’ll probably just run the Freedom in my Glocks at the range and use the cheap Winchester for USPSA matches with my Shadow 2. Weird lesson learned.

16 hours ago, ramnj said:

Same happened to me when I bought my SP01 Shadow.  Round is too long.  I solved the problem by shortening to OAL 1.09. Eventually I sent my barrel to get reamed so I could load longer.

Since your running factory ammo you might want to consider getting your barrel reamed. 

It is more than COL that determines whether a round is too long.  The ogive (meaning bullet profile) is just as important..  COL and the bullet profile will determine if a round will chamber.  There is not guarantee any bullet with chamber properly in a spec chamber.  That is why you buy small lots to test before you place a large order.

See if you can find "Bullet Design And Feeding Reliability in Semi  Automatic Pistols by Brad Miller.

Tried to paste picture snipit here but for some reason it failed.

I believe GeneBray found the culprit and it seems to be bullet profile. The Freedom 135 HP is not long, but it does look to be a bit fat, especially at the point where most bullets are slimmer/pointy. Now, I must say this ammo cycles reliably in my CZ’s and seems to be very accurate. So, shooting it under most normal circumstances isn’t an issue, just that pesky unload and show clear command.

It failed the plunk test in my Shadow 2, SP-01 and C100. In all cases, it sounded fine dropping in, would not turn, and stuck in the barrel every time I tried. I compared it to Winchester Service Grade 115 grain which passed the plunk test in all three of the pistols.

The Freedom passed the plunk test in my Glock 17 though.

I’ve put around 200 rounds of this ammo through my Shadow 2 and another 50 in the SP-01 and C-100. Aside from not wanting to eject a chambered round, is there any reason I shouldn’t run the rest of this ammo through the CZ’s at the range. Is there any danger to continue using the remaining 250 rounds? Or, should I only run it in the Glocks?

I’m guessing that it could lock up the CZ’s.

Edited by Stafford

25 minutes ago, Stdz said:

Why not shoot 147?

I’ll shoot anything I can find at a decent price. 115-150 grain, whatever. The 135 was in stock, so that’s what I bought. A day later, I found some 115 Winchester and I bought that. I’m not hoarding, I’m using it at the range and matches. 

I have a decent supply of 180 grain .40, so I plan to start shooting my Glock 22 in Limited. 

2 hours ago, Stafford said:

I’ll shoot anything I can find at a decent price. 115-150 grain, whatever. The 135 was in stock, so that’s what I bought. A day later, I found some 115 Winchester and I bought that. I’m not hoarding, I’m using it at the range and matches. 

I have a decent supply of 180 grain .40, so I plan to start shooting my Glock 22 in Limited. 

Makes sense. I am trying to mostly shoot 147gr right now cause I heard it's a good mix with 3.2gr TG

On 7/27/2020 at 1:51 PM, FALAR said:

If anything I would assume it would be a CIP vs SAAMI issue.

Below is a comparison of the chamber standards for CiP and SAAMI.  One in metric; the other in English.  I did my best to ensure apples-to-apples comparison on the dimensions.  The drawing and nomenclature used by the two organizations is very different so it may not be an exact comparison.  Did my best to ensure it is.  I am assuming CZ uses CIP.  SAAMI is a voluntary standard, I believe.  CIP is imposed on manufacturers falling under their standards.  Didn't do table on cartridge comparison but cartridge dimensions seem to closer together than chambers but still not exactly the same.  Probably close enough there shouldn't be issues.  Still think most "CZs have short chambers..." problems relate to bullet profile.  And, since SAAMI is voluntary, there can be considerable difference manufacturer to manufacturer.  One constant in the firearms industry is there are a lot of "better ideas."  Well, some are and others not so much.  For example, 9mm Luger/Parabellum and 9mm Automatic.  The later is true straight wall case which would seem to be advantageous in longer mags.  I don't know of anyone making or selling 9mm Automatic cases, dies, or ammo, but then haven't looked.  Sorta like trying to find a $3 bill...just not worth the effort.

image.png

Edited by GeneBray