Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loading mags the night prior

unisonicz

Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone loads their mags the night prior to a match? What are the down falls? I tend to have an issue with not getting good stage planing/strategy as I am thinking about other things that need to be done prior to the match beginning. Running 3x155 and 1x171.25 MBX with 38$c. Any insight?

*PFA -

Appreciate it!

aNSzPNo.jpg

Edited by unisonicz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum!

Well, I just finished loading my mags for tomorrow's match. One less thing to screw up in the morning mental fog!

And if you are worried about springs, they wear from mechanical cycles, not sitting under static loads.

Have at it and good luck!

Later,

Chuck

Hello: I always load them before the match. That way I can make sure they load well and I can get the mags loaded for the stage I am shooting. When it's my turn I shoot the stage. I then come back clean the mag if it hits the ground. I then load it up for the next stage. That way I am ready for each stage with loaded mags. Thanks, Eric

9 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I load all my mags the night before...i don't clean them ever though mainly because somehow even though I've spent all sorts of money on the gun and the actual reloading I never got a magazine brush

I find a microfiber cloth with a zip tie threaded through works better actually.  Cut a tiny hole in the corner of a microfiber, feed the zip tie through then cinch it.  Send the zip tie through the mag, and pull the cloth through.  I like this method; it takes up less room in the bag, and it does a good job of getting everything out of the mags.

And I also load the night before.

Edited by clw42

3 hours ago, clw42 said:

I find a microfiber cloth with a zip tie threaded through works better actually.  Cut a tiny hole in the corner of a microfiber, feed the zip tie through then cinch it.  Send the zip tie through the mag, and pull the cloth through.  I like this method; it takes up less room in the bag, and it does a good job of getting everything out of the mags.

And I also load the night before.

I did the same thing but with just with a lowly shop towel. It works fine!

Man you guys! I never realized you all did that! It totally makes sense. I am going to do this now. I was worried about the mag springs getting weak. 

appreciate the posts, and thanks OP for the question. I learned from your question!

I do whenever possible. If I don’t I am often rushed. Almost weekly we just finish setup when the match briefing is starting then go right into RO/Scorekeeper mode. If my mags are not loaded it’s a scramble to get them loaded without holding up the squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, as I understand this issue, it is NOT keeping mags loaded that wears them out.  It is the cycling rounds through them, from use mostly.  I have used some mags that were loaded for many years, and when I did actually use them, they functioned just fine. 

The magzines that I use often for matches, needs new springs about every year.  They are cycled a lot though, and when it takes less effort to load them, I know that the springs are starting to get weak...  I keep spares on hand.  

So, I don't think you necessarily have to worry about damaging your magazine springs by pre-loading your mags prior to a match - even if that match is a few weeks away!  

Not that I would say these are "authorities", but here are a couple articles that seems to back up from I have experienced personally:  

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/8/12/how-long-can-you-keep-your-magazines-loaded/

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/magazine-springs-and-ammo-cycling/

Springs are a wear item that is meant to be replaced at regular intervals, so who cares about them? I load them all up a day or two early and if they start to cause problems I’ll replace them. But, with that said, I’m a Glock shooter and it’s Ben years since I’ve replaced my springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a limited shooter and usually had quite a few mags. Sometimes enough for the entire match. Occasionally might have to top off a time or two depending on the stages. 
Definitely load up a day or 2 ahead of time.

Load up day prior while packing and going through my checklist. If it feels funny I've got time to swap springs or grab different mags.

I also use a AC condenser brush to clean my mags but may go to the ziptie and microfiber method for space reasons.

As said before cycling springs wears them out not staying compressed. Side note I always take extra springs to the match. Cheap insurance for myself or any other shooter to finish the day.

On 7/24/2020 at 11:07 PM, selecw said:

I also load the night before. When I get to the match I want to walk the stages, dry fire and do some stretching.

+1

I load the night before a match.  I no longer remove unused rounds when finished.  I still have the original backup springs I bought four years ago when I bought the mags.

Most of the surfaces I shoot on are grass or hard pack gravel, so dropping a mag on them does not dirty them.  I have a second set of mags that get used for classifiers with a mandatory mag change, or any time I'll have to drop a mag in mud, water, or dust.  I do carry a mag brush with me, but rarely have to use it in a match.

I load mine the night before.  Somehow im always first in the rotation.  Why they always go with reverse alphabetical last name i'll never know.  But, im ready anyway.  My mag cleaner is a shoestring tied to a microfiber cloth.  I remove my springs after the match and store them seperately.  

6 hours ago, Learn2count said:

I load mine the night before.  Somehow im always first in the rotation.  Why they always go with reverse alphabetical last name i'll never know.  But, im ready anyway.  My mag cleaner is a shoestring tied to a microfiber cloth.  I remove my springs after the match and store them seperately.  

Because the person that sets the sort order in the tablet has a last name that starts with "A" or "B"... 

I load my mags at the range before ther match and unload them after the match.

Edited by RaylanGivens