Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scale changing 0.2gn

mpmo

Using a Hornady G2-1500 scale. There are a few inconsistencies im noticing.

1. Just calibrated with the 10g. Put the powder dish on and it is measuring 203.6 when it normally measures 199.3gn. First time I’m seeing that. Recalibrated and now it is right.

2.sometimes it will change by 0.2gn after I’ve measured a few times. Then I have to backtrack.

Am I doing something wrong?

2/100ths of a grain is likely within tolerance.  Accuracy for your scale is only 1/10th.   Personally I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's consistent. I always verify my scales with a RCBS check weight set....Lyman makes one too.

Edited by lll Otto lll

Are you using a dust cover?

Those load cells are very sensitive. They will pick up the flow from your A/C and even your breathing.

Had to look up which scale that is.

I personally would not us a scale that does not allow the pan to fit onto the weighing surface with using a  cover.

I have a RCBS Charge master and I if I do not use the dust cover I can watch the weight fluctuate.

Just use the tare button to rezero it. Mine is always off a little bit, but I put the pan on the scale, hit tare, and dump the charge into the pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also zero the scale without the pan on it. Then weigh the scale. I then write that weight on the pan in Sharpie. Then I can instantly confirm that the scale hasn’t drifted even if the pan isn’t on there. I’m really not sure why this helps me so much (or why I can’t remember 81.1 grains), but it works for me and I do it 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let it warm up at least 15 min before calibrating/using, I just leave mine on if using it several days in a row and it’s much more stable. 
Keep your cell phone at least 6’ away or more. Magnets too.
Fluorescent lights can be a problem. Haven’t tested LED’s yet. A good surge strip can sometimes help but not really necessary unless you have dirty power in your area.  
Make sure scale is on a solid surface. I set mine on a  1 foot square ceramic tile with rubber feet on the bottom. Actually .02 isn’t squat to worry about unless you mean .2.
Just a few things I’ve run across over the years. 

6 hours ago, Farmer said:

Let it warm up at least 15 min before calibrating/using, I just leave mine on if using it several days in a row and it’s much more stable. 

Excellent point.  Let the scale warm up and stabilize for several minutes before calibrating and don't turn it off between uses until you  complete the batch of reloads you are doing.

Don't know how you would do this with a battery powered scale.But my PACT has not been turned off in years.

Calibrate at start of session have to tare every hour or so. certain cell phones have a effect .Causes the tare message

to come up.Lights have no effect .  My scale is in a cabinet up off the loading bench away from the vibration of operating 

the press. Don't leave the pan on the scale.unless you are weighing something.This will cause the scale to drift(it's trying to weigh some thing)

theirs nothing to weigh scale it will pick up some vibration   -   Truck driving by , your AC unit, Washing machine,Walking across floor, Cat jumping

off cabinet,etc

Edited by AHI

I’ll have to read the instructions but it automatically shuts off after like 5-10minites (I’m guessing). I don’t know if there is a way to warm it up or leave it on.

Isn’t there a power port for ac use? 
Sorry I’m not familiar with your scale and was just giving suggestions that have worked in the past for other people. 

Edited by Farmer

Do you have a fan nearby? I found I can't get an accurate/stable reading unless I turn the ceiling fan* off in my reloading room when I'm measuring... the circulating air is enough to confuse my scale. 

*(probably just a coincidence, but in my case "fan on" = usually +/- 0.2 grains lol)

Edited by ck1

1 hour ago, ck1 said:

Do you have a fan nearby? I found I can't get an accurate/stable reading unless I turn the ceiling fan* off in my reloading room when I'm measuring... the circulating air is enough to confuse my scale. 

*(probably just a coincidence, but in my case "fan on" = usually +/- 0.2 grains lol)

This, I use a Dillon mechanical balance scale... But yeh I fugured out same thing. Garage exhaust fan OFF while setting powder measure

I suspect the scale's native precision is 0.01 grams, which is 0.15 grains.  Since the scale is only displaying 1 decimal in grains (0.x) the readings can be +/- 0.2 (0.15 grains, rounded up) difference and still be within scale tolerance.  Remember this isn't a precision balance we are dealing with here.

Phones make a big difference to this scale, mine was wandering +/- .5grains I was ready to throw it out until I read about phones etc., now keep it a metre or so away and all is well.

So if you use your iPad etc for storing/recording load data keep it well out of the way.

I re-checked mine with the phone yesterday. I noticed it first with my old Motorola flip phone but it is the same with my iPhone. At 3-4 feet away it will give a -1.2 to -3 reading that jumps around. This is only when the phone is either accessing the network or when a call comes in. It seems that when they are at “idle” there’s no interference. I have an older RCBS scale which is the same as the older Pact models. It also raises hell with the auto powder measure. Just some info for you all. 

On 7/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, mpmo said:

I’ll have to read the instructions but it automatically shuts off after like 5-10minites (I’m guessing). I don’t know if there is a way to warm it up or leave it on.

On my scale (Gem250) you can stop the auto off feature, check the manual

I use the tare function every time before I weigh powder.

2 minutes ago, Tunachaser said:

I use the tare function every time before I weigh powder.

Likewise, even in the middle of a session where I randomly pull a case to verify.

On 7/25/2020 at 2:00 AM, Farmer said:

Keep your cell phone at least 6’ away or more. Magnets too.
Fluorescent lights can be a problem. Haven’t tested LED’s yet. A good surge strip can sometimes help but not really necessary unless you have dirty power in your area.  
Make sure scale is on a solid surface. I set mine on a  1 foot square ceramic tile with rubber feet on the bottom. Actually .02 isn’t squat to worry about unless you mean .2.
Just a few things I’ve run across over the years. 

what this guy said...

someone smarter than me explained how the little sensor works in digital scales, and they do require time to warm up or they will shift reading weight as they do.

I’ve been running an RCBS chargemaster for probably a decade now, and there has always been about a .2 gr shift after warm up.