Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass collapsed - what happened?!

mpmo

be3352505bc520ba3ee688969d2291fa.jpg

New reloader. This is a brand new batch of starline 9mm I just got in the mail straight from starline. Did I just press too hard?

Single stage rcbs , Hornady seating die

New starline brass

N320

Hornady 125gr Hap

OAL :1.068

Crimping too hard which makes it too early.

Back the die out maybe a turn or two, and run the seating stem in. Adjust to have essentially no crimp.

Basically, what's happening. The bullet is getting crimped by the case as the ram is still on it's way up, so the brass has to buckle to shove the base further up

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dead on. Thanks brother. I had it set wrong. I had the seating die sitting just above the shell holder like my crimp is supposed to be. I’ve only read the manual 6 times! I guess I have to read it a few more every time I set up. I wonder if I need to unload all the bullets I did while it was set up that way.

3 minutes ago, chevrofreak said:

125gr HAP bullets are .356 rather than .355, combine that with too much crimp and there is your issue. 

I think the problem is the OP is using a combination seating and crimping die. The cartridge is getting crimped (probably too much) before the bullet is finished seating. I think he’s figured it out. 

.356 is a pretty normal bullet size, so that shouldn’t be any problem at all. 

3 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

I think the problem is the OP is using a combination seating and crimping die. The cartridge is getting crimped (probably too much) before the bullet is finished seating. I think he’s figured it out. 

It is, but this can sometimes happen when a combination die is set up for a .355 jacketed bullet and then a .356 jacketed bullet is used.   It tries squeezing the brass while the bullet is still being shoved into it, and the jacketed bullet won't give the way a coated or plated one does. 

Yeah, I've run up to . 357 cast in 9mm. And not slouch loads. Now, I don't recommend that, but it's not causing this particular issue. If there was jacket getting shaved off, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chevrofreak said:

125gr HAP bullets are .356 rather than .355, combine that with too much crimp and there is your issue. 

Well, they're suppose to be....but the last 125 HAP's I bought were .355.  I contacted Hornady about it and they suggested my Mitutoyo calipers were wrong.  Yeah, ok.