Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio P40S newbie

I've "inherited" a P40 S. From what I've been able to get on the internet this was suppose to be the sporting gun geared towards IPSC/USPSA shooters back in the day. Due to our draconian gun laws I'll only have it in my hands in about 3 - 5 months (if i'm lucky).

It has had some work done to it. (See attached picture).

The only info I could find so far is from this link forum info I did find

So it has been modified already from the factory configuration.

I've not shot it but the buddy that gave it to me has shot it and apparently the trigger is amazing.

However I want to turn this gun into a Standard Gun division (IPSC) shooter.

So I'll remove the comp and since I'm sure this has a fixed front sight that cannot be removed maybe just have it dovetailed and a dawson sight fitted. Maybe just do a novak cut dovetail or something very generic to give me access to loads of options.

What I would like to know is what magazines can this run? CZ mags?

Also grips, these old tanfo's use CZ 75 grips or is there specific tanfoglio grips i must buy?

Also if I do want to replace the trigger and hammer what parts, if any, would be compatible?

In short I need to know where to source parts and what modern mods will be compatible with this old bird.

If anything if someone could at least just point me to some kind of reference I'll be happy to do the research and work myself. Just need a starting point.

P40S.jpeg

Edited by potentpoefie

It looks like the trigger guard on that has been customized and that makes pegging down a few of the details of its design difficult, I'm pretty sure it is a modern short mainspring small frame but not 100%

It will take small frame Tanfoglio, or CZ magazines, in 40SW they only hold 12 in factory configuration and probably 13 or 14 in Standard division legal size so it is probably no the best candidate for that unless you are in a capacity limit area. 

sights, I would have it machined for a Novak front and either a LPA or Novak rear, LPA is the standard target rear on Tanfoglios.

Grips should be small frame Tanfoglio but I believe CZ also fit but don't line up as well.

Removing the comp may be interesting depending on how it is set up, some had regular extended threaded barrels with the comp threaded on, others had regular length barrels with cone comps and the slide bored out for the cone, cutting back the barrel or cutting the comp off the cone will add to the costs of the conversion.

That does not appear to be a competition frame so there are no magwells available for it.

Trigger and hammer, it should take all the Tanfoglio go fast components, if it is in fact a modern short mainspring frame,

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

It looks like the trigger guard on that has been customized and that makes pegging down a few of the details of its design difficult, I'm pretty sure it is a modern short mainspring small frame but not 100%

It will take small frame Tanfoglio, or CZ magazines, in 40SW they only hold 12 in factory configuration and probably 13 or 14 in Standard division legal size so it is probably no the best candidate for that unless you are in a capacity limit area. 

sights, I would have it machined for a Novak front and either a LPA or Novak rear, LPA is the standard target rear on Tanfoglios.

Grips should be small frame Tanfoglio but I believe CZ also fit but don't line up as well.

Removing the comp may be interesting depending on how it is set up, some had regular extended threaded barrels with the comp threaded on, others had regular length barrels with cone comps and the slide bored out for the cone, cutting back the barrel or cutting the comp off the cone will add to the costs of the conversion.

That does not appear to be a competition frame so there are no magwells available for it.

Trigger and hammer, it should take all the Tanfoglio go fast components, if it is in fact a modern short mainspring frame,

Thank you so much for all this info. 

I've come from a revolver shooting background and then moved to production and started eating up the competition there. But I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. Just love guns so now trying to have a bit of fun in Standard Division on the side. So long story short capacity isn't my biggest issue. Considering you can only shoot 9 shorts per shooting position (according to the rules) I'll have some spare rounds for misses. I'm so use to if you are not shooting, you are reload that I'm not worried. Is it ideal? Like you said no. But it will do.

How do I know (what do I check) to see if it is a modern short mainspring frame.

Edited by potentpoefie

2 hours ago, potentpoefie said:

Thank you so much for all this info. 

I've come from a revolver shooting background and then moved to production and started eating up the competition there. But I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. Just love guns so now trying to have a bit of fun in Standard Division on the side. So long story short capacity isn't my biggest issue. Considering you can only shoot 9 shorts per shooting position (according to the rules) I'll have some spare rounds for misses. I'm so use to if you are not shooting, you are reload that I'm not worried. Is it ideal? Like you said no. But it will do.

How do I know (what do I check) to see if it is a modern short mainspring frame.

the long CZ style have a plug on the bottom of the frame behind the mag well and the mainspring runs up behind the magwell, the new style do not

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

the long CZ style have a plug on the bottom of the frame behind the mag well and the mainspring runs up behind the magwell, the new style do not

Thanks. Will have to check it out when I finally have the gun. 

Again appreciate all this information. You've been a great help.