Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wheels fall off...

Makicjf

I had an interesting experience last night at our evening Steel Challenge match.  I could not shoot Speed Option to save my life.  It was the last stage and the light was odd, but good god It was awful.  Without pushing and confirming each sight picture I can generally run between 4.20 and 4.45--solidly mediocre.  Pushing I can get down to just below 4, but i'm inconsistent.  My total time for ISR and Limited (shooting a revolver) was basicly 30 seconds each.  Even slowing down I could not hit anything.  I had a bad run on accelerotor, but it was a new stage for me.  Has anyone else simply forgotten how to shoot?

I'm listed as Jason Wilson

https://practiscore.com/results/html/7ba358c1-4db7-4e4a-895d-db651ddf40d7?page=overall-match-main

33 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

Has anyone else simply forgotten how to shoot?

Yes, more than once. most of the time its a trigger press problem, with the revo and the long trigger press sometimes I call my shots before they actually happen and when I get stuck doing that they tend not to go where I called them.

also low light can mess with what you are able to see, your depth of focus will be much smaller so if your shooting front sight focus your target will be extra blurry or vice versa, making it much harder to aim and call shots correctly. 

Oh yes!

Light (amount or lack of, direction, intensity, etc) can definitely mess up the sight picture!

When I get in a hurry I find 2 things mess me up generally.

1 I don't get a consistent trigger press. If not, it changes the sight picture right at the end of the stroke. That's where it needs to be the finest or no hit.

2 When I rush I find my follow through is terrible. I look at target #1, press the trigger and before waiting long enough for the follow through I shift my eyes to #2. No Bueno. No calling the shot, no idea where it went.

I generally mess up the "easy" stages but I have screwed them all up a time or 2. Or 10.

I tried essentially "target shooting" on the last run and still struggled to hit anything.  I was having a hard time distinguishing the plates from the background so maybe that's the light is the answer.  Usually when I struggle I can rededicate myself to the fundamentals and make the problem go away.  This one would not.  All the shooters w/o optics in my squad struggled on that stage, but I was by far the most experienced and consistent shooter,so wasn't certain if it was a trend or not.  How do you overcome the low light front sight focus issue?

Jason

I shoot a dot so I am target focused.

Shot a match awhile back (SC Pa State match) where on the 1st stage (Pendulum no less!) had the sun coming up at about 11:00 behind the targets. White targets (dim) and a dark background. Glare in the dot, smoke cloud out front (strange but I never realized how much smoke we produce until watching that mess) can't hear the ding! Nightmare stage. 

Yeah I heroed that stage. NOT! Every stage got progressively better then...

I practice as early in the day as I can sometimes to get the sun over there.  (My range faces West so I get the setting sun and North so I get the sun behind me but I also have a berm toward the south for that kind of practice.)

I guess all you can do is eat it and be glad our classifications don't go down!!

1 hour ago, Makicjf said:

I tried essentially "target shooting" on the last run and still struggled to hit anything.  I was having a hard time distinguishing the plates from the background so maybe that's the light is the answer.  Usually when I struggle I can rededicate myself to the fundamentals and make the problem go away.  This one would not.  All the shooters w/o optics in my squad struggled on that stage, but I was by far the most experienced and consistent shooter,so wasn't certain if it was a trend or not.  How do you overcome the low light front sight focus issue?

Jason

Wear the clearest glasses you can is the easiest answer for the light problem, for a evening match you may need to change your glasses as the light goes down. 

I have also found that to some extent being more target focused can help. 

I'm not sure which is better, but there's a reason for the different color lens i.e. Rose, Yellow and I know there are others.  Each one lets different light waves in for clarity under different light.  One reason why those with good vision can use a frame with multiple lens to good effect.

The clearer the lens tends to focus ones vision better also.

I have fiber optic sights front and rear. In the evening, as the light fades, I can shoot for an hour longer than anyone with just black sights. Anytime there is low light, like shade of a tree or wall, dark clouds type overcast sky, indoor range, black background such as shredded tires, indoor steel plate, etc. I have a nice advantage. If the background and target are similar color, that's hard for everyone.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the lack of shooting this spring didn't help me any.

Moore specific to the conversation, my 625 has a white outline rear and it's much easier to call shots in less than ideal lighting situations.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO
USPSA #A79592