Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic not working

Mikeski

Ok so I have a RTS2 on my open gun and at the last match it wound up getting out of sight. Took it to the range today and everything is about 5 inches right at 10 yards. Tried adjusting the screws and everything is still 5 inches right. Everything points to the Optic going bad. I would think if it was a gun issue adjusting the dot would correct it. Any thought or am I missing anything. 

1 hour ago, Mikeski said:

Ok so I have a RTS2 on my open gun and at the last match it wound up getting out of sight. Took it to the range today and everything is about 5 inches right at 10 yards. Tried adjusting the screws and everything is still 5 inches right. Everything points to the Optic going bad. I would think if it was a gun issue adjusting the dot would correct it. Any thought or am I missing anything. 

Box it up and send it in for warranty work.

I just sent in 3 units. 2 of them lost zero and wont re zero similarly to what you are experiencing. The other one had a very dim dot regardless of cleaning and new batteries (Checked with voltage meter for quality).

So the optic is over a year old, and like an idiot I completely forgot to loosen the locking screw. So I'll try again tomorrow and see if this makes a change. I also have a backup optic I can mount to rule out the gun. 

Everything else is tight on the gun and barrel locks up great. 

28 minutes ago, Mikeski said:

So the optic is over a year old, and like an idiot I completely forgot to loosen the locking screw. So I'll try again tomorrow and see if this makes a change. I also have a backup optic I can mount to rule out the gun. 

You can try, but that wont change anything. Just box it up and get it out a day earlier to get it back earlier.

1 hour ago, Mikeski said:

Yep...the windage and elevation screws will both rotate, even when the locking screw is tight, making you think it's faulty.  Give it a try unlocked, and continue from there.  No use sending it in when you don't need to.  😊

I used to use rts2s until I sent 2 of them back a total of 5 times between both of them.  Are they decent optics? Eh I guess they would suffice in a pinch, but i can't stand having to constantly send optics back no matter how good the warranty is. Basically the same reason I don't use vortex red dots anymore. 

Id say just box it up say here its broken make it work again 

...the original RTS on my old Open div gun is almost 10 years old with zero problems at all......it seemed when they updated it to the RTS2 (the only difference was manual settings for brightness) it screwed everything up........the original RTS only had 2 click settings (middle or full bright)...I went thru all versions of the RTS2 and the major problems were with the battery connection (the tray was NOT sitting tight enough to hold battery connection always), eventually after V3 and into V4 they solved that problem....FINALLY I had a version I could depend on always , the V4 never failed me in several years of use...........So I've gone Production Optics (Carry Optics in the US) with 2 new RTS2 dots, little did I know they added the complexity of shutting off or on due to motion and are V5...I wish I could have stayed with the V4 less complex that seemed totally reliable for me on both Open and Prod Optic guns   (I've now wandered into the unknown of the Romeo3Max and comparing the RTS2 V5 with it.....apparently they are both made from the same source company, either they'll both be great or real disappointments)

7 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Glass popped out within 500 rounds for me.

Anyone know how common this is? Happened to one of our Local GMs at the WA state championship last year, but this is the second time I've heard of it. I swapped mine to my backup to shed some weight, but do really like it. 

Mike is this the same issue you had at Doc Welt? I have 2 rts2’s. Both hold zero, but both have had to go back because of broken contacts. My biggest issue is not bright enough on bright sunny day 

On 7/23/2020 at 9:07 PM, jnkill said:

Mike is this the same issue you had at Doc Welt? I have 2 rts2’s. Both hold zero, but both have had to go back because of broken contacts. My biggest issue is not bright enough on bright sunny day 

Yes same issue. I had same issue at Sunday's match but the optic was coming loose from mount as well, which is why I stopped after 4 stages. Looking at it now I'll take it off clean it and remount it to see what happens.