Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In CO, Why Use a DA/SA Gun?

Flea

58 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

As for the sucking part.  Don't worry 99% of sucked really bad when we started.  Like anything in life if you want to be good, you have to put forth the effort.  I am just glad I get to run around with a blaster and shoot stuff.  I probably would not shoot much if this was not an option.  

Well as a member of the newbie sucking 99% of the time, well said!!

As for me I just started this year of all years to decide to get into shooting when ammo is unobtanium.  I had a Glock and quickly switched to CZ.  I bought a SP-01 man safety but found the trigger location and some other features would need upgraded so I bought a Shadow 2 and it s perfect for me out of the box!

The SP-01 is now going to CGW for a complete make over and slide cut for carry optics.  I am old and my eyes suck too!  I would love to make this gun SAO too

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ML123 said:

Well as a member of the newbie sucking 99% of the time, well said!!

As for me I just started this year of all years to decide to get into shooting when ammo is unobtanium.  I had a Glock and quickly switched to CZ.  I bought a SP-01 man safety but found the trigger location and some other features would need upgraded so I bought a Shadow 2 and it s perfect for me out of the box!

The SP-01 is now going to CGW for a complete make over and slide cut for carry optics.  I am old and my eyes suck too!  I would love to make this gun SAO too

Which Glock and why did you switch?

1 hour ago, Flea said:

Interesting observation. Did you care about the weight differences between the 34, X5 and S2?

Nope. Just made sure I had solid grip and stance and went with it.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

i absolutely needed vibra tite to keep a site on that gun.

What is vibra tite?  

I just googled it, does it really work better then regular loctite? My Dots keep coming loose on my sigs. I finally ended up using red loctite where I could which I really didn't want to do. If that stuff works as advertised that would be way better.

Edited by Racinready300ex

1 minute ago, Flea said:

Looks like loctite...to keep screws, etc. from loosening.

I gathered that much, I was wondering if works better then regular loctite. He mentioned "having to use it to keep the sight on that gun" I've been having trouble keeping a Dot tight on my sigs. 

18 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I just googled it, does it really work better then regular loctite? My Dots keep coming loose on my sigs. I finally ended up using red loctite where I could which I really didn't want to do. If that stuff works as advertised that would be way better.

Strange.  Non of my optics/plates are coming loose on my Sigs.  Just running regular blue Loc-Tite.  Are you cleaning the surfaces before you apply the Loc-Tite?  I use electrical contact cleaner to clean the screws and the threaded holes before, letting the dry then applying the Loc-TIte.  Also maybe insuring the correct Torque spec might help, if you are not already doing that.  Heating up items to get the red Loc-Tite to break loose is never a fun adventure.

Curious if you need to heat Vibra Tite to remove it?

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I am just glad I get to run around with a blaster and shoot stuff.  I probably would not shoot much if this was not an option.  

I actually picked up shooting after I found out about this "run around with a blaster and shoot stuff" sport. Saw this movie and thought wow I gotta try those!

https://youtu.be/icsaeOiHN7A

So yeah I agree. Without it, it would be like always going to a golf range without playing a round of golf 😆

56 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Strange.  Non of my optics/plates are coming loose on my Sigs.  Just running regular blue Loc-Tite.  Are you cleaning the surfaces before you apply the Loc-Tite?  I use electrical contact cleaner to clean the screws and the threaded holes before, letting the dry then applying the Loc-TIte.  Also maybe insuring the correct Torque spec might help, if you are not already doing that.  Heating up items to get the red Loc-Tite to break loose is never a fun adventure.

Curious if you need to heat Vibra Tite to remove it?

My legion the dot stays tight to the plate with blue but the plate came loose twice. It's now swiming in Red and probably wont come off. If I want to get it off I should be able to remove the dot and heat the screws and the plate from the top.

The X5 the plate stays tight but the dot comes loose. The x5 plate mounts to the bottom with blue. So I should be able to remove the plate and dot together, then heat the bottom of the plate to get the dot off. 

Time will tell, I'm sure at some point a dot will fail and need to come off. I may try this vibra tite stuff, sounds like you don't need heat for it. 

3 hours ago, Flea said:

Which Glock and why did you switch?

Glock 22 with a 9mm conversion barrel.  I switched mostly since the Glock doesnt fit my hand well and the CZ does, especially the S2.  I also had issues with the barrel and slide on the Glock and just didn't want to put any more money into it when there are better options.  I do still prefer a Glock for EDC or home defense and also have a Gen 5 19.

1 hour ago, risingsun said:

I actually picked up shooting after I found out about this "run around with a blaster and shoot stuff" sport. Saw this movie and thought wow I gotta try those!

https://youtu.be/icsaeOiHN7A

Happy I did not see this movie before I started shooting USPSA, I would have been vastly disappointed.  😆😆😆

On the other side of that I'm glad I have nothing to do with setting up stages like that.

9 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

One Loctite that is often overlooked is the Purple - it's more of a "gum it up" type that is used a lot in Revo division to hold various screws that need to be adjusted from time to time. With Blue, if you move it, it breaks the seal and becomes useless. With Purple, it holds it in place and doesn't break. 

Any part that vibrates or takes a lot of abuse and has a potential to break the seal of the Blue is a good candidate for Purple. 

Just a thought...

"In CO, why use a DA/SA gun?": As an owner of a slicked-up S2OR... TRIGGER! The SA pull on my gun is 2lbs or a bit under, crispiest of the crispy without even a hint of creep or junk at all. A heavy-a** gun with a sweet trigger is just nice and fun to shoot. The single DA-pull per stage is of zero consequence as mine is 5.5lbs and about as nice as the nicest wheelguns out there. When I stink it up I know it's not the gun lol. I've played with a few X5's, and it's trigger (while considered "pretty good") is not even in the same league.

That said, a buddy I shoot with kicks my butt regularly with an X5... so like usual, it's the indian, not the arrow...

1 hour ago, ck1 said:

A heavy-a** gun with a sweet trigger is just nice and fun to shoot.

Well stated!

You just can't beat a good SA trigger, the S2OR and TSOR are great examples. It's not difficult to get used to the DA to SA switch with some practice, and even if you consider the single DA pull per stage to be problematic in some way, it is more than made up for in the rest of the stage.

I went Shadow 2 and machined an extra slide for an optic. I went this route because it’s trendy... when in doubt, go with the herd :)

I’m a little slower on transitions with optics, but more than make up for it on accuracy. Only downside is it pushed me into “open” in 3-Gun.

Carry Optics seems to be the growth area in handguns. More approachable and affordable than Open. High capacity magazines without 40 caliber bs like Limited. At least around me, Production is an endangered species... similar numbers to single stack and revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only people who whine about DA triggers are complete noobs who've never shot one, people who never train, people who have no hand strength, or (most often) a combination of all three.

If you're a noob who has never shot a DA pistol with a decent trigger, ask to do so at a match.  Most will oblige.  Even my s#!tty P-09 with its 7.5 lb trigger is not an issue.

If you're someone who doesn't train and/or have weak hands, fix that before commenting.

9 hours ago, IVC said:

One Loctite that is often overlooked is the Purple - it's more of a "gum it up" type that is used a lot in Revo division to hold various screws that need to be adjusted from time to time. With Blue, if you move it, it breaks the seal and becomes useless. With Purple, it holds it in place and doesn't break. 

Any part that vibrates or takes a lot of abuse and has a potential to break the seal of the Blue is a good candidate for Purple. 

Just a thought...

Interesting, I think I have some purple but never thought to try it for that. 

Do any of you with an S2 have the Cajun reach reduction kit? When the hammer is down, my fingertip just barely reaches the trigger and is no bueno. If I bought a brand new S2 today, is there a way to get new grips that would allow me to get more of my trigger finger on the trigger before going the reach reduction route?

3 hours ago, Flea said:

Do any of you with an S2 have the Cajun reach reduction kit? When the hammer is down, my fingertip just barely reaches the trigger and is no bueno. If I bought a brand new S2 today, is there a way to get new grips that would allow me to get more of my trigger finger on the trigger before going the reach reduction route?

I don't have a short reach kit in my gun. I have been shooting this gun for a while, long before the kit became legal in Production and now I just don't see the point of doing it. 

I don't have big hands but still it's not an issue because your finger needs to be perpendicular to the frame at the break point of the trigger anyways. The break point is identical for both DA and SA. 

I have seen a few guys with way smaller hands than mine doing just fine without the kit.

Perhaps at some point in the future,  during next quarantine, I will spend $100 and install it but right now it is not my priority. 

Edited by cheby

• 4 weeks later...