Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which rollsizer to buy

selecw

I bought the $1800 Rollsizer a few months ago to process appx 5,000 pieces of 9mm per month. It works really well and runs fast but I am very disappointed in the build quality at that price point. From a functionality perspective, I don’t know that there is a better option, however, it would be nice if it was either cheaper or better quality.  It looks and feels like it was built in someone’s garage BUT, as I mentioned previously... it does work well!

I got the $1800 Whitehead Engineering roll sizer through CED/Alpha Dynamics (never will figure out what that outfit wants to be called). It was backordered and took a while.

I spent the money because buying the cheaper versions of anything has never worked for me. Cheap proves to be cheap. It works well. I have never felt, like someone said, that it is poor build quality. It seems fine to me and I run it a lot. The flexible tube that comes with it runs 9mm well but 40 seems to hang up some. I found a better plastic tube at Home Depot..

Prior to getting it I had too many failures to gauge in a 40XL gauge with range brass even though I use a Lee Udie and Lee FCD on the press. This roll sizing essentially eliminated the gauging problem. Could not be happier. My theory is you can't justify the cost of anything when you shoot competition. There is no justification except fun. If that isn't enough you should be somebody's wife. Jeees if you want it get it. You don't have to justify doing what you want to do.  

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Yes.  But it’s not an issue imo.

Thanks. 

For moon clip use, or maybe even just ultimate reliability of extraction with a bottom feeder, it seems like the other brand which cleans up the rim (I forgot name) might be better, but I have never owned one so maybe not. 

Theoretically yes.  I’ve never had it be an issue.  Any kinks or raised nicks In the rim  I have that cause the loaded moon  not to pass a chamber check I’m 99% sure are from a round not properly being clipped in a moon in the first place.  I’ll get an exacto knife and cut it out to clean the rim.  -like 2 times a year.

someone here recently tried to get parts from case pro.  It’s a one man show who seems to be having issues getting stuff out the door.

On 8/29/2020 at 10:39 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

It appears that the CED Rollsizer for 9mm does not clean up the rim. 

Correct? 

On 8/29/2020 at 10:52 AM, MikeyScuba said:

Yes.  But it’s not an issue imo.

Case Pro100 is the only rollsizer that cleans up the rim AFAIK, which is the one that I have.

I have seen where a damaged rim will cause a problem, but mostly with bottomfeeders.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:46 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

The only way I could justify a purchase is if I could make some money back.

How much do you folks think you would need to charge for sizing your friends brass in order to justify your time and costs? 

Most guys charge $5/1000. When you get older and have a total shoulder replacement, it is a bit easier to justify but still not a cheap unit. I use the DC and would never look back. I got dies for 9, 40, and .223. I have had to do a few tweaks but my shoulder reminds me frequently I have a much better quality of life over the G-Rx.