Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have some data on the PF they get out of a pistol vs PCC?

56 minutes ago, phoenixsomd said:

Simple feedback is that with the same load my 16-inch PCC would average 85-FPS faster than my CZ SP-01.  CZ - 130-PF, PCC - 139-PF

From everything else I found, a 10 PF difference seems about right

2 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I've chronographed a load of 4.0 gr of Titegroup behind a 125 gr coated RN Blue Bullet.  The PF from a 5" S&W M&P9 was 137 (1108 fps) and from a 16" Ruger PCC it was 154 (1244 fps). 

Hmm. That's a bigger difference than most of the others I've seen.

I've chronographed a load of 4.0 gr of Titegroup behind a 125 gr coated RN Blue Bullet.  The PF from a 5" S&W M&P9 was 137 (1108 fps) and from a 16" Ruger PCC it was 154 (1244 fps). 

What OAL are you using with the RN Blue Bullets? I just ordered some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chronoed several different handloads and had more difference. 

Pistol.        PCC

131 pf.        160 pf   WST with 115 plated

136.             161.     WST with 121 plated 

130              1155.   WST with 135 lead

This is with a Infinity IMM pistol and a 16" PCC. 

Edited by Don_B
9 minutes ago, Don_B said:

I chronoed several different handloads and had more difference. 

Pistol.        PCC

131 pf.        160 pf   WST with 115 plated

136.             161.     WST with 121 plated 

130              1155.   WST with 135 lead

This is with a Infinity IMM pistol and a 16" PCC. 

1155 is MOVING

You really need a chrono if you have some sort of specific goal: powder burn rate makes a MASSIVE difference in the velocity increase you’ll see from an extra 10” of barrel.

Slower burn powders really shine with that much runway to work with: I’ve shot some 176PF 124GR hollowpoints that weren’t even +P pressure: they were book loads with Longshot powder.

It seems the winning recipe for the majority of PCC shooters to minimize dot movement is a lighter 115 or 124 that’s moving around 140ish powerfactor. My gun gets REALLY flat with those. Push down toward lower 130s and the charge is so hilariously light that accuracy suffers, and the sluggish cycling actually causes the dot to move more.

0BEA5A85-D6F1-49E6-AD86-B53907CCAE12.thumb.jpeg.a3654bc6da44e4ba060a28b22d13b33c.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I just chrono'd my newly built PCC with TACCOM's ULW barrel.  I was surprised that even with only 5 inches of rifling the PCC was significantly faster than my G17 with the same loads.  I expected it to be "a shade" faster but not the level i saw.  Dont have exact numbers to post as im at work.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:50 AM, Wesquire said:

From everything else I found, a 10 PF difference seems about right

Really depends on the powder. Fast burning powder the velocity gain is small but with slower powders like 3n38 you gain as much as 200 FPS or more 

If chronoing 124 plated bullets I got 100 fps more in my CZ Scorpion than my CZ SP01 Shadow. 85 FPS more in my JP GMR15 than my Shadow. 147 plated less velocity difference, but about the same increase in PF.

• 2 weeks later...