Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stop fell out

tomjerry1

I know this topic has been discussed before, but spent the last hour searching, guess I don't know the magic combination of words. Anyway, I had the slide stop fall out of my pistol yesterday, last stage, and the classifier to boot. I have looked the pistol over, didn't see any signs of obvious causes, this is a Nitro Fin ss, has been on the pistol for a couple of years, maybe 10K rounds. Help will be appreciated.

If it's a nitro fin, isn't your thumb supposed to be on it when you're shooting?  Even if it's not, there's supposed to be a tab that fits inside the slide to keep it from falling out.  If that's not there, then either the part is defective or someone modified it in a way that they shouldn't have. 

Okay, it was NOT the fault of the Nitro Fin slide stop, and yes, you would normally have you thumb on the pad of the slide stop. Just my poor attempt at asking a question about the SS falling out. I obviously didn't have my thumb on the pad, I was in the middle of a reload when the wheels came off the cart. Good suggestion on the length of the plunger that contact the SS, just happen to have another one.

Well, that makes sense.  However, even if you change the plunger, if the tab is missing from the back side, it's probably going to fall out again at some point.  Best bet is to check the part and replace it if it's damaged or defective.

There is nothing missing, the tabs are present on both plungers. Have a Caspian with an integral plunger tube, so that is not loose. With new plungers installed on both sides, the safety is more crisp, and the SS takes more pressure to move the plunger out of the detent. Thanks for the input, hopefully this cures my ailments. 

2 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Okay, it was NOT the fault of the Nitro Fin slide stop, and yes, you would normally have you thumb on the pad of the slide stop. Just my poor attempt at asking a question about the SS falling out. I obviously didn't have my thumb on the pad, I was in the middle of a reload when the wheels came off the cart. Good suggestion on the length of the plunger that contact the SS, just happen to have another one.

Another possibility here...

I’ve seen shooters that index their trigger finger on the side of the frame (safe practice!) while reloading and inadvertently put their finger right on the top of the slide stop pin and accidentally depress it while they’re releasing the slide. This pressure allows the slide stop to pop out when the cutout on the slide passes by the tab on the slide stop. I’m left handed and had this happen to me many times until I filed the end of the slide stop pin flush with the frame of the pistol. Hope this helps!

I was looking at that exact thing this afternoon. I have a small piece of skate board tape on the frame, just forward of the pin, to place my finger while moving to avoid a DQ. It happened during a reload, and it sure makes sense. I don't know if I'm ready to get a file out?

16 hours ago, Powder Finger said:

he means the tab on the slide stop that lines up wit the takedown notch

This.  That tab rides inside the slide and is what keeps the SS from slipping out. The plungers do nothing to hold the SS IN. Just keeps it from bouncing up under recoil and locking the slide back when you don't want it to. If the gun has 10k rnds through it, it may have worn and broken off short enough that it is no longer held captive by the slide.

If you are reloading and accidently push on the right side end of the SS, the slide should still be holding it captive if that tab is still there. Re-install the SS and see if you can push it out with the slide in battery.

On 7/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, usmc1974 said:

Lord, I didn't even know there was such a creature! But for $120 they can keep it and that's all I need to know about it. lol

Ha ha... one less doohickey to deal with? 🙂

• 2 weeks later...