Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 155mm vs 171.25mm mags?

vgdvc

Hello Open shooters. I'm looking to upgrade my mag collection for the most reliable and usable variety to keep on hand for USPSA matches. Will be obtaining a new Honcho 9mm major and have a Brazos .38super for backup so mags would serve dual caliber purpose. I'm thinking MBX is best overall out of box choice. Is there advantages/disadvantages to the 155mm vs 171mm lengths?  Am I on the right track with MBX? Experienced opinions appreciated. Thanks

1 minute ago, eern said:

I love MBX and only run big sticks. I have 4 and all run 30+1 very reliably 

Thanks. Never felt a need to have 1 shorter for best reloads?

2 minutes ago, vgdvc said:

Thanks. Never felt a need to have 1 shorter for best reloads?

No when you only run big sticks then that’s all you know and you can reload whenever you want. I didn’t like practicing with both sizes so I switch a couple years ago and would never go back

I got rid of all my 140’s and run the 155’s along with the 170’s.  I’ve been running 2 155’s and a 170, that has been my set up for years. Also all my MBX mags have Grams springs and guts and It’s been a solid combo 👍🏼

Hello: Most stages now have a good place to reload so you could have one 170mm and 3-155's. Use the 155's most of the time and reload to one of those. I got ride of the 155's I had and just use 170's and 140's. Some of the 140's have longer base pads that give me 24-26 rounds which is good for some stages. I also use the 140 with thin base pads if I have to go prone. I would practice loading to a 170 since you may need to do that at some point. Thanks, Eric

I run two 155s and one 170 for USPSA competitions.  I almost always start with the big stick.  I also have three STI Gen 2 tubes with TTI guts and base pads.  I use those for Classifiers with mandatory reloads, or any time I have to drop a mag in dust, mud or water.

I run 2 170, 2 155 and 2 140 at every match. I mostly use the 170 unless I have a reload, then I start with the 140 and reload with the 170 or 155 depending on the stage. I don't notice a huge difference between the two, but it's always nice to have the spares around. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

Do you practice your mag changes with the 170s? How did that affect your mag changes?

Yes 170s are what I practice with, and what I dry fire with. This is mostly because the 140mm magazines for Caspians are garbage and aren't reliable. The 170mm's I've had for years and run perfectly every time.

I probably lose some time on stand-and-shoot classifiers if I load them full, but the key there is to not fill them up and make them heavier than they need to be. With 170's you also get a lot more magazine to work with, you just have to practice getting it to the magwell since your hand will not make contact with the magwell (due to the length), so it's a bit different operation, maybe you still lose some time but in a real match it doesn't matter.

15 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: How are the mag springs holding up on the 170mm magazines? Heard of them not lasting very long. Thanks, Eric

I change mine once a season, I treat them as a consumable part. You can probably change them less often but it's worth it to me to never worry about it.