Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P slide milling for DPP

TC_McQueen

Im considering getting my M&P9L slide milled for mounting a DeltaPoint Pro, along with some other custom work (serrations etc). It seems to me the DPP will end up riding quite high on the gun if installed with an adapter in the existing dovetail.

Im curious how this milling is normally done, in terms of allowing space for the four corner “taps”, leaving space for a Glock style rear sight, and still covering the plunger assembly. 

My first thought was to get the slide milled so that the DPP would cover the plunger location, basically with the rear cut out following the dovetail rear, but this means the front right tap will land right on top of the extractor pin, and there would be no option for the two rear taps, since they would land where the existing dovetail is located. 

If I move the sight forward the plunger assembly will only be partly covered and some other solution would have to be engineered. 

I don’t live in the States so there’s limited machinists who have experience on installing a DPP on an M&P.

I was going to have my M&P pro milled for a carry optic.  I ended up just buying a complete CORE slide.

To answer your question.  I don't believe they mill deep enough to expose any internal parts.  My CORE has plates and holes for various optics.  If you could, I would contact some of the companies that mills slides.  I'm not sure what the specifics are for mailing a gun slide, but you would probably be better off than someone screwing up your slide.

42 minutes ago, stick said:

I was going to have my M&P pro milled for a carry optic.  I ended up just buying a complete CORE slide.

To answer your question.  I don't believe they mill deep enough to expose any internal parts.  My CORE has plates and holes for various optics.  If you could, I would contact some of the companies that mills slides.  I'm not sure what the specifics are for mailing a gun slide, but you would probably be better off than someone screwing up your slide.

Im not that concerned about exposing stuff, more if the resulting mounting solution is robust enough with just 1 complete guide tap, and one partially overlapping the extractor pin cut out. 

I’ll try contacting some of the slide milling companies, thanks.

27 minutes ago, TC_McQueen said:

Im not that concerned about exposing stuff, more if the resulting mounting solution is robust enough with just 1 complete guide tap, and one partially overlapping the extractor pin cut out. 

I’ll try contacting some of the slide milling companies, thanks.

When milled, they usually have 2-4 holes tapped.

Edited by stick

Covering the extractor pin hole is not a problem but you will have to shorten the pin.   Avoiding the striker block plunger hole will be more problematic unless you have the slide milled completely in front of the factory dovetail.

That said, don't dismiss using a mount that replaces the rear sight instead of having the slide milled.  The sight doesn't sit that much higher and a proper adapter is very strong and reliable.  I have used both an EGW's adapter plate for a Vortex Venom and Leupold's own rear sight adapter plate for the Deltapoint Pro on my 5" M&P9 2.0 and both worked very well and were easy to install.  

If you were buying a new gun I'd say buy the CORE model but if you already have a non-CORE gun use the adapter plate and save the machining cost and uncertainty.