Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roll sizing

falconew

This has been discussed a lot over the last 20+  years and I'm sure if you did a search you could find some of the threads.

In the interest of saving you some time, I'll hit the high points and if you would like to go down the rabbit hole, search away.

Traditional size dies can't do anything for the lower portion of the case. The roll sizer, either the CasePro 100 or the RollSizer from The Land of Oz, push that part of the brass back into spec. In addition, the roll the rim of the case to make it more uniform.

The end result is  the base of the case is back to spec so the loaded ammo passes the case gauge test and it helps the load stack better in the magazine. In uniforming teh rim, it alos helos with extraction.

Google "glock bulge" to see what the worst offenders look like.

I'm running a CasePro100 and the main difference in the dies are that the CasePro conditions the rim, whereas the Oz unit does not.  I've had mine for almost 13 years now.

You still need to use the regular sizing die when reloading.

Are they worth it, that's your choice, it was for me.

7 hours ago, warpspeed said:

This has been discussed a lot over the last 20+  years and I'm sure if you did a search you could find some of the threads.

In the interest of saving you some time, I'll hit the high points and if you would like to go down the rabbit hole, search away.

Traditional size dies can't do anything for the lower portion of the case. The roll sizer, either the CasePro 100 or the RollSizer from The Land of Oz, push that part of the brass back into spec. In addition, the roll the rim of the case to make it more uniform.

The end result is  the base of the case is back to spec so the loaded ammo passes the case gauge test and it helps the load stack better in the magazine. In uniforming teh rim, it alos helos with extraction.

Google "glock bulge" to see what the worst offenders look like.

After I posted this I did find a few post on this.  But thank you for the quick version of it.  

Not many of these out there that are being sold. Going to use one today. A guy From a gun forum I am on has a Case Pro 100.     Wonder if I can talk him out of it.  Lol.  Can’t find any used ones.  

FWIW from my knowledge, which is limited on roll sizing.  If you have a very finicky gun, roll sizing will ensure the bullets feed into the chamber.  Personally, I use a Lee Full length sizing die on XL650.