Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matching OAL to powder load

mpmo

My next load that I'm going to work on is 125gr Hornady HAP over V320 for Minor PF.  My plunk test says that Max OAL is 1.078 in a CZ TSO.  So I'm thinking to load to 1.068.  I've got a 3 manuals, none of which have a load for that weight with V320.  VV website lists OAL 1.102 with a starting load of 3.2.  How do I use that data to get a start range for testing?  I will be putting it through a chrono.  THanks!

I guess what I'm concerned about is if I was to load the 3.2gr. with an OAL significantly shorter, my understanding is that pressure would be increased.  So should I start with something lower?

19 minutes ago, mpmo said:

I guess what I'm concerned about is if I was to load the 3.2gr. with an OAL significantly shorter, my understanding is that pressure would be increased.  So should I start with something lower?

I have run these all day long in an STI 2011, STI 1911, Glock (short OAL 1.085) at 3.8 to  4.3 at 1140 in a 124 grain and 121g, my logs show the Montana Gold 124g JHPs were set at 3.9 of V320 at 1.100 OAL and shorter in the Glock to 1.080 at the same charge. Chrono for match loads of course, hope this helps.

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

I wish we could delete our own posts...

Having it so a member could delete their own post would royally screw up the forum continuity (not to mention that it would also screw up a member's post count). 

Choose your OAL. Start nice and light, likely around 3.0 or whatever book minimum is, and work your way up to desired powerfactor slowly.

This. Find the oal length you need and start at min charge at work up. When I first started loading I was very scared of this as well. What I found out is it had a minimal affect In 9mm. I went from around 1.14-1.10 for a 147gr and I think my PF change was less than 1. So unless you’re at a max load (which you certainly shouldn’t be starting at) you can shorten the round to plunk and use a min load and be ok. As said before, the book oal is useless and doesn’t mean anything until you get to much higher loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk