Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help: slide moving too far back and stuck

canbuster

Help please. 

I had only ~300 rounds through my new Defiant Stock Master 9mm small frame when the Viper red dot died. After receiving the replacement from Vortex and reassembly yesterday, I noticed that I can pull the slide really far back and the slide would be stuck back without the slide stop engaged. I don't remember this happening at the range or in past dry firing practices. The slide will move forward when I lightly tap the back of the slide. The recoil rod and spring are stock. I can reproduce this problem with or without the barrel, recoil rod, and spring installed. The slide can move so far back, I can see the sear through the ejection port. None of my other Tanfoglio slides can move this far back, large or small frames, 4.5" or 4.75" barrels. Please let me know if you have some ideas on what's causing this and how to fix it. I did search the forum last night and came up empty. Thank you! 

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

Edited by canbuster
SN blur

Thanks Dan. I had no idea Stock Master's slide comes stroked, see comparison with my older small frame Mossad with a 4.75" barrel. So now the question is how do I stop the slide from sticking to the rear? Would a Henning shock buffer fix it, or should I try something else first? BTW, Zombywoof, the slide stop is properly installed. 

IMG_2241.jpg

20 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

It's probably getting stuck on the ejector, take it out and try it.

Thanks, Atlas. When it's stuck back, it's all the way past the ejector, see photo in the first post. 

39 minutes ago, FALAR said:

So, IFG spec'd these out a bit more than just mixing and matching it appears.

It appears all the slides with the new style cuts are stroked.

Which, honestly, is a great move for Tanfo.  Better reliability and recoil characteristics.

17 hours ago, Whoops! said:

It appears all the slides with the new style cuts are stroked.

Which, honestly, is a great move for Tanfo.  Better reliability and recoil characteristics.

So this means IFG Defiant Limited Master also has a stroked slide, maybe also the Defiant Stock I? https://patriotdefense.com/tanfoglio-defiant-stock-i-small-frame-ifg/

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 9:23 PM, canbuster said:

Interesting, thanks @MikeBurgess. I'll check for that

Check that you have put the sear spring leg back down into the frame .I had my slide stick back open after I had done a strip down to clean and refitted the saftey back into the sear block and forgot to put the sear spring leag back into it,s lowered position that keeps the safety in it,s  place.

20 hours ago, Smithy54 said:

Check that you have put the sear spring leg back down into the frame .I had my slide stick back open after I had done a strip down to clean and refitted the saftey back into the sear block and forgot to put the sear spring leag back into it,s lowered position that keeps the safety in it,s  place.

in the first picture you can see the spring is in correctly, but good thought I have mangled that spring before doing that

On 7/20/2020 at 10:55 AM, MikeBurgess said:

Looks like it may be the hammer catching on the firing pin block possibly round the top of the hammer or the back of the FPB ?

Ok it's not that since the back of the FPB is way past the hammer. Anyways, it doesn't stuck back any more, but still somewhat sticky to the back, feels like it's cycling slower

Canbuster I would try your idea of brass shock buffer.  I got some and they reduce the stroke about .105 (because you also add the thickness of the shoulder on the guide rod).  Shoot a few rounds then pull the slide and look at the buffer.  You can see where it is striking the frame/tunnel and file/relieve if necessary.  I bet that will insure cycle and prevent possible damage somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...