Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mecgar 16 round mags - oily.

Stafford

I’ve ordered the 17 rounders before but they are hard to find right now. So, I ordered a couple of 16 rounders and they arrived in the plastic packet. As soon as I pulled them out, I found they had a sheen of oil on the outside that I wiped off with a paper towel. I used them as loader mags and back up mags last night and when I unloaded them, the rounds had a bit of oil on them and the followers were shiny wet with oil. I’ve never received mags that were covered in oil, inside and out. Is this normal?

I received some MecGar 17 rounders from Gunprodeals 2 weeks back (they might still have some in stock). They were lightly covered in oil. Took a second to inspect the mags, removed the basepads, springs, and followers, wiped the body inside out with 70% alcohol, re-assemble, and they were good to go. Also just received a few Grams spring and follower kits for the mags. The mags now can fit 23 rounds, with TTI basepads. Highly recommended them for when you shoot limited minor (saw your other post).

46 minutes ago, risingsun said:

I received some MecGar 17 rounders from Gunprodeals 2 weeks back (they might still have some in stock). They were lightly covered in oil. Took a second to inspect the mags, removed the basepads, springs, and followers, wiped the body inside out with 70% alcohol, re-assemble, and they were good to go. Also just received a few Grams spring and follower kits for the mags. The mags now can fit 23 rounds, with TTI basepads. Highly recommended them for when you shoot limited minor (saw your other post).

Yeah, I’ve had three shooters tell me to get the basepads, load up to 23 and just go with my Shadow 2 in Limited Minor. But, I’m on the fence on what I plan to do. I thought it was Production,  but in reality it will likely come down to Carry Optics or Limited with a .40. If I end up going carry optics, then having the basepads, followers and springs; it will have been a good investment. But, if I go the .40 route, then I’ll need to do it all over again with mags for another pistol.

But, if you’re going to throw money at something, it should be something you really like. At this point, I’ll stick with the SP-01 18 rounders. I should be able to get through most stages with 37 rounds and only one reload.

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

But, if you’re going to throw money at something, it should be something you really like.

Exactly! I'll shoot my Shadow 2 in Limited (or G19 MOS in CO) until I get better with my shooting, moving, transitioning and stage planning, then perhaps I'll try shooting Production with the S2. This was the last match I went to:

https://practiscore.com/results/new/111198?q_division=2

Even Todd Jarrett shoots minor from time to time.

Had he shot Major, he probably would have won the limited class and placed 2nd overall to the first place who shot open. At least according to the Practiscore What If feature. I’ve messed around with the feature and if I had shot Major I might have moved up a spot in class and a spot or two in Overall. But, as a bottom half shooter, it’s really a moot point until I improve from where I’m currently at.

Interesting, 13 in Production, but 11 out of 23 Limited shooters shooting Minor. Limited Minor is a class unto itself at that match.

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

Interesting, 13 in Production, but 11 out of 23 Limited shooters shooting Minor. Limited Minor is a class unto itself at that match.

Indeed. I see your location is in NC. I'm in triangle (RDU) area, and the matches around here are usually pretty interesting, highly recommended if you're not too far. Often see Todd Jarrett, Chris Tilley, Jessica Hook at the matches I go to. Sorry I went way off topic!

Well, there’s only so much you say about an oily mag! I’m in the Charlotte area and can find several matches each month within an hour. RDU is a three hour drive. 

You mentioned using your G19 for Carry Optics and your S2 for Limited, and that if you move to Production, you could use your S2. Curious as to why you wouldn’t try your S2 in Carry Optics? Seems like a lot of shooters like their polymer, striker fired pistols in the CO division.

Disassemble, use cloth/cottonballs, something lint free and alcohol to remove the oil (might take a couple repetitions).

Then, when it's dry, apply a coat of car wax (I've been using Nufinish, since I had some for the brass polisher) and buff off when dry (inside and outside and the bases if metal).  Then apply a second coat of wax and buff off when dry.  Lightly oil the spring and put it back together.

It will load/feed out slicker.  It will be more protected from the salt/sweat from your hands.  It will be resistant to collecting dust/lint/dirt.  A dry paper towel wiped around on it will make is shine like a newly oiled magazine (or newly waxed) easily and quickly when your done with it for the day.

17 hours ago, Stafford said:

You mentioned using your G19 for Carry Optics and your S2 for Limited, and that if you move to Production, you could use your S2. Curious as to why you wouldn’t try your S2 in Carry Optics? Seems like a lot of shooters like their polymer, striker fired pistols in the CO division.

I had the G19 MOS before I had the S2, and bought the S2 for prod/limited.

Currently no fund to get a second S2 slide with an optic cut, and don't have the heart to butcher the existing slide. And also, shooting CO with the S2 means having to deal with the DA pull on the first shot.

I spent most of my shooting life shooting Glocks, so the transition from shooting non-optics to CO was easier, e.g. didn't need to relearn grip, trigger, etc., just needed to learn to find the damn dot. Still happy with my current setup, the only thing I would change is to swap the Venom from 3MOA to 6MOA, or maybe upgrade to a 5MOA SRO.

Having said that, I've been seeing more and more S2 with optics in the matches around here. The "want" factor is strong with that one! 😍

Magazines often come new from the package with that reddish brown preservative gunk on them.  I do like the others have already suggested snd disassemble and clean them when new.

Edited by FALAR