Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Minor - Again

Stafford

Decided to try Limited instead of Production last night and here are my thoughts. I was faster and it was nice to only have to chase one mag. I’ve been trying to concentrate on one main thing and that is going faster. Last night I added one more thing and that was trying to present the gun up at the target when arriving at the shooting point. Although that addition is really about going faster. Shot way more mikes than usual.

As it turned out, I added another twist, using the safety instead of a DA start with my Shadow 2. Not sure that was a good idea but I was going to have to learn at some point. I’m signed up Saturday for an outdoor and I’ll stick with Limited Minor again. At this point, I’m just trying to improve and go faster.

Used my SP-01 mags for 19 at the start with an 18 round reload. Never reloaded more than once all night.

I’m sort of jumping around right now. My last 2 matches have been Limited Minor, but I’ve got a classifier match coming up and I registered for Limited and then switched back to Production. My guess is that I’ll end up in Carry Optics or Limited. I’ve read that Production is really not a class for beginners and I sort of see that. In fact, it seems that the Beginner’s Class in USPSA is Limited Minor.

I purchased sights and baseplates today to upgrade my stock Glock 22 and make it more user friendly for Limited Major. So, I plan to jump around a bit more in the coming weeks.

Question: Do Limited Major shooters drop to Limited Minor at full Classifier matches? It seems to me that higher level shooters - A or M, could gain an advantage by shooting 9mm to move up a ranking. Especially if you had a gun set up very similarly to your .40.

Question: Do Limited Major shooters drop to Limited Minor at full Classifier matches? It seems to me that higher level shooters - A or M, could gain an advantage by shooting 9mm to move up a ranking. Especially if you had a gun set up very similarly to your .40.
How?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, wtturn said:

How?

If you’re trying to shoot all Alphas very quickly, the 9mm is an advantage over .40. 

That being said, I’m thinking out loud here and the idea just popped into my head. It may be something that Limited shooters regularly do in full classifier matches. Or it may never happen and there’s a good reason it doesn’t. 

31 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Question: Do Limited Major shooters drop to Limited Minor at full Classifier matches? 

No

31 minutes ago, Stafford said:

It seems to me that higher level shooters - A or M, could gain an advantage by shooting 9mm to move up a ranking. Especially if you had a gun set up very similarly to your .40.

No

You are continuing to seriously overthink this..  Limited (a division, not a class) is for 40 Major if you care about being a competitive shooter.  If you don't care about your scores, stop asking the same question and shoot whatever you desire. Limited minor is for children and noobs. If anyone tells you otherwise they are just being polite or citing a unicorn-like example

33 minutes ago, Balakay said:

You are continuing to seriously overthink this..  Limited (a division, not a class) is for 40 Major if you care about being a competitive shooter.  If you don't care about your scores, stop asking the same question and shoot whatever you desire. Limited minor is for children and noobs. If anyone tells you otherwise they are just being polite or citing a unicorn-like example

Where is that like button.  ^^^ This needs to be mandatory reading on every limited minor thread.  

37 minutes ago, Balakay said:

No

No

this. Any division with major scoring the whole point is to shoot major and push the speed. The extra time it takes to shoot all the points even if you choose minor is an eternity when you’re up against major shooters. 

Specifically for classifiers the major scoring advantage results in some really blazing times. Just look at some classifiers’ high hit factors for production, limited, and open. 

Think about it this way when comparing major and minor - 90% of points in minor is 2 Alpha, Alpha Charlie on every other target. Basically, you can only drop 1 Charlie every other target assuming no mikes or deltas, etc. 

In major, 90% of points is alpha Charlie in every target. You can shoot 50% charlies and still get 90% of points.

Fast alpha/charlie wins all day every day in every division with major, except maybe single stack depending on the stages and how many times you’ll have to shoot 8 round arrays with multiple pieces of steel, or how often you can skip a position by shooting to 10 rounds. Even then, major typically has the advantage. 

7 minutes ago, DKorn said:

Think about it this way when comparing major and minor - 90% of points in minor is 2 Alpha, Alpha Charlie on every other target. Basically, you can only drop 1 Charlie every other target assuming no mikes or deltas, etc. 

In major, 90% of points is alpha Charlie in every target. You can shoot 50% charlies and still get 90% of points.

Fast alpha/charlie wins all day every day in every division with major, except maybe single stack depending on the stages and how many times you’ll have to shoot 8 round arrays with multiple pieces of steel, or how often you can skip a position by shooting to 10 rounds. Even then, major typically has the advantage. 

That makes sense. Thanks.

If you’re trying to shoot all Alphas very quickly, the 9mm is an advantage over .40. 

That being said, I’m thinking out loud here and the idea just popped into my head. It may be something that Limited shooters regularly do in full classifier matches. Or it may never happen and there’s a good reason it doesn’t. 
Why would such a strategy be good for classifier matches and not regular matches?

(It's not, I'm just humoring your hypothetical.)

What you need to understand is how big an advantage major scoring is in a game that uses hit factor scoring.

Major is a huge advantage in every instance.

3 hours ago, Balakay said:

No

No

+1,000,000

@Stafford  You'll never make any headway in this sport with all these theories of yours and all this dancing around from here to there and back every other week.

Pick a gun, pick your ammo, pick a division, and stick to it for five years with dedicated, focused training.  Then decide.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

Either pick a gun you like and fit it into the division where it's most competitive, or pick a division you like and pick a gun ideally suited for that division. Or decide you don't necessarily care about having the ideal gun for the sport and just go out and have fun

20 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Either pick a gun you like and fit it into the division where it's most competitive, or pick a division you like and pick a gun ideally suited for that division. Or decide you don't necessarily care about having the ideal gun for the sport and just go out and have fun

Yep, makes sense. There’s a thing called triangulation in survey theory. And I’ve beat this one to death. Thanks for all of the replies. 

4 hours ago, Stafford said:

a) no it isn't.

b) shooting all alphas with minor isn't as good a score as shooting many alphas with major.

c) you are doing it wrong.

On 7/19/2020 at 5:01 PM, Balakay said:

No

No

Mods,

Please make this post a sticky on this forum. 

5 hours ago, HCH said:

Mods,

Please make this post a sticky on this forum. 

I'd love to, but I ain't sure where to put it.

I guess we need a thread titled, "Weekly Limited Minor vs. Major Discussion Though That Horse Has been Beaten To Death".

The title just seems a bit too long....