Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 1/4 of 9mm brass broken and stuck in barrel

Chapo

13 hours ago, Chapo said:

Happy to report that cerrosafe worked. But took me three tries to get it. The first two came out without the brass. Then I had an idea to drop the molten but add a screw in the middle in hopes that I could expand the molten and grab the brass. This worked perfectly. Used a drill to try and remove the screw but instead the screw head broke with all the torque of the drill, but I was able to insert a rod and remove the plug. 

Happy to hear that the cerrosafe worked. 

Good idea using the screw to help expand it into the brass...  

Hope you don't have to use it again, anytime soon!  

Edited by Ken6PPC
more...

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem. Dental picks would not do it. I used a #5 spiral easy out with a Straight bar handle. Clean first Very well. Then wad up a patch to plug the bottom of the chamber. Spray in some Remington oil and let it sit about 10 minutes.  With the t handle , gently but firmly push the easyout in with your hand and turn counterclockwise. DO NOT TAP IN WITH A HAMMER ! The case will begin to turn. Do about 3/4 to one turn,  then slowly continue to turn as you slowly pull the case out of the chamber. This worked perfectly for me and the tools are small enough to keep in your range bag. 

I just recently had a broken case myself.  After trying all the suggestions here and even a few others, I took to a gunsmith with a 9mm chamber reamer and he had it out in 5 minutes.  

Worth it to me "IF" it happens in the future, to follow the path of groveling at his door again.

Now my brass sorting process is even more strict!

Mike