Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Too much flair when using Lyman m die in .223

mioduz

Not trying to be a smart mouth but I don’t understand what a m die is for, started loading in the late seventies and all I’ve use is a sizing and seating die. I got a a bolt gun that shoots 1/4 inch groups. I would get ride of the m die unless maybe you are using it for lead bullets. Just size and use a chanfer tool before seating your bullet.

Edited by Dwbsig

15 minutes ago, Dwbsig said:

Not trying to be a smart mouth but I don’t understand what a m die is for, started loading in the late seventies and all I’ve use is a sizing and seating die. I got a a bolt gun that shoots 1/4 inch groups. I would get ride of the m die unless maybe you are using it for lead bullets. Just size and use a chafer tool before seating your bullet.

seams like bullet feeders really need some case flair for optional function.

Edited by mioduz

1 minute ago, Dwbsig said:

I gotcha I haven’t got into mass production of rifle ammo yet I got some used stuff  tool head; dies-for my 1050 to start just done it yet. 

Additionally if using a press mounted trimmer, the trim die is a full length sizer, without an explpander so the neck needs resized after trimming

What sort of accuracy are you getting?  How much run-out are you seeing in the ammunition?  Accuracy is best when the ammunition )case to bullet) has minimal run-out.

Also, in general, how was 5the load developed?  Working up the load is as much about assessing accuracy as guarding against excess pressure.

What bullet are you using?  Some guns show a preference for the bullet they do best with.  The rifling twist is also a factor.  The typical 1:8" twists and such are over spinning bullets like the 55gr.  If you have a fast twist, a heavier bullet may do better.  Over spinning shows any imbalance in the bullets.

Fwiw, the average FMJ rifle bullet is not known for its accuracy. How is your accuracy with a quality match/varmint bullet using this method of reloading?

You have to isolate variables before you can come to any usefull conclusion. Otherwise it's like chasing your tail.... (been there, done that).

Having said this, the only time I use an expander that actually puts some type of flare on the case mouth (with a M-die) is when using MrBulletfeeder on my Evo. Otherwise the bullets will fall of the case during shell plate rotation. In other situations it is not necessary to do this when using jacketed bullets. Even not when seating flat base jacketed bullets with a sharp radius, usually a good chamfer will be sufficient to seat the FB bullet without damaging the base.

But I think posters before me adressed these points as well.

Edited by RGA