Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FW Arms - Decapping Die

Linky:  Link

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the ~$55 FW Arms™ Auto-Case Centering Decapper/Deprimer?   How does this compare to a universal die?

I'm a little worried about killing my decapping pins if doing a lot of military .223 or 308 case prep and encountering berdan primers.

24 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

Linky:  Link

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the ~$55 FW Arms™ Auto-Case Centering Decapper/Deprimer?   How does this compare to a universal die?

I'm a little worried about killing my decapping pins if doing a lot of military .223 or 308 case prep and encountering berdan primers.

No personal experience but the guys over on the Ammobot Facebook group love it as far as I can tell.

I'd try it but I want to decap and size at the same time.

51 minutes ago, ddc said:

No personal experience but the guys over on the Ammobot Facebook group love it as far as I can tell.

I'd try it but I want to decap and size at the same time.

If I'm just doing a decap/resize run, there's lots of stations where I can run a full length resize on a 1050.  It doesn't need to be only at station #2 unless I'm missing something, like 2nd grade reading comprehension.

So I should be able to run:

1.  Case feed

2.  FW Arms decapping die

3.  No swage needed

4.  No primer needed

5.  No powder needed

6, 7, 8 > resize and trim?

Edited by SnipTheDog

I was loading the 38 special Remington JHP bullets and somehow one cycled around to decap station. The pin went right through the side of the bullet and out the other side and Revo press locked up. I removed the bullet. Pin and die were fine and started on my way again. Wish I took a picture. 

Edited by DJRyan13

I prefer the FW decapper over the Mighty Armory and Lee decappers for .223 especially because the sliding sleeve makes sure the decapping rod enters the case mouth without nicking it.

It will pierce straight through a berdan case as well I noticed...... 😊

Your Lee decapper has a build in safety against breaking/bending the pin on a berdan case. The decapping stem is secured by the nut on top of the die and it should slide upwards (without damaging the tip) when encountering a berdan case (or anything elso it can't penetrate).

Edited by RGA

I just ordered the F.W. decapper, Swage Foot Dies and extra decapping pins yesterday for my 1100 which is scheduled to be delivered on Monday according to the FedEx tracking. It’ll be used  for processing .223 brass. The website says out of stock but I emailed asking for status and the VP replied back stating that they have them in stock so I ordered them.

They’ll be arriving next week and I’ll give a review once I get a chance to used them. I have about a thousand cases that needs processing.

Edited by George16

23 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

If I'm just doing a decap/resize run, there's lots of stations where I can run a full length resize on a 1050.  It doesn't need to be only at station #2 unless I'm missing something, like 2nd grade reading comprehension.

So I should be able to run:

1.  Case feed

2.  FW Arms decapping die

3.  No swage needed

4.  No primer needed

5.  No powder needed

6, 7, 8 > resize and trim?

For sure. I'm not set up to do two passes yet but if I was I'd use it no doubt.

Edited by ddc
engrish