Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with mag pouches

Camhabib

So I’ve been slowly collecting my gear preparing to try my hand at USPSA and and IDPA with a P320 Legion. Picked up a Blue Alpha Double Belt Rig (1.75”), a GX Products holster, but I’m now stuck at the last peice, mag pouches. There are just so many options, and without any experience, they all seem the same. Wondering if someone with a bit more experience than me could break down what some of the differences are, and what an affordable but quality option would be?

Edited by Camhabib

Ghost pouches are affordable and work okay. That’s what I’m using now and I’m considering upgrading. 

Double Alpha Racers and CR Speed Versa pouches are both very popular and get good reviews. They’re similarly priced. 

There are some other options that are pricier or offer different features but those are probably the most popular. 

After considering all the options, I went with the Double Alpha Racer mag pouches. The one feature that the Racers have that others don't is the slimmest belt attachment bracket. Hugely important for me. I shoot Production so I run 5 pouches and I am lean so the pouches take up over a 1/4 of the belt on my left side. The small footprint of the brackets ensure good contact between the inner and outer belts.

They have all the other bells and whistles of all the top race pouches. One other thing for me is that they're bullets out configurable.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

After considering all the options, I went with the Double Alpha Racer mag pouches. The one feature that the Racers have that others don't is the slimmest belt attachment bracket. Hugely important for me. I shoot Production so I run 5 pouches and I am lean so the pouches take up over a 1/4 of the belt on my left side. The small footprint of the brackets ensure good contact between the inner and outer belts.

They have all the other bells and whistles of all the top race pouches. One other thing for me is that they're bullets out configurable.

Appreciate it. Sadly, I’ve been looking and it doesn’t seem like they’d fit on my belt since it’s 1.75”.

DAA does have a wide belt adapter for the new Alpha-Xi pouches available, though it's showing out of stock... and the Alpha Xi are expensive and pretty new. 

Something with a Bladetech TekLok or DOTS mount may end up working better with the big belt. RHT makes good kydex mag pouches that use this mounting method, although the drawback to TekLok/Dots is it does cover a lot of velcro. A tip I got was you can get strips of velcro with adhesive backing off amazon or whatever and attach that to the inner side of the mount. I have yet to try this, because my velcro just showed up, but the theory is pretty sound. 

I used to use the DAA Race Masters, and switched to the RHT pouches, immediately got less binding. The Alpha-X and Alpha-Xi, along with the racer pouches, don't have this problem but the racers are out of the running with the belt size you've got. 

7 hours ago, Hdiamond said:

DAA does have a wide belt adapter for the new Alpha-Xi pouches available, though it's showing out of stock... and the Alpha Xi are expensive and pretty new. 

Something with a Bladetech TekLok or DOTS mount may end up working better with the big belt. RHT makes good kydex mag pouches that use this mounting method, although the drawback to TekLok/Dots is it does cover a lot of velcro. A tip I got was you can get strips of velcro with adhesive backing off amazon or whatever and attach that to the inner side of the mount. I have yet to try this, because my velcro just showed up, but the theory is pretty sound. 

I used to use the DAA Race Masters, and switched to the RHT pouches, immediately got less binding. The Alpha-X and Alpha-Xi, along with the racer pouches, don't have this problem but the racers are out of the running with the belt size you've got. 

I saw the Alpha Xi but at $320 for a set of 4 with the belt adapters, it’s just a bit too rich for my blood right now. 

The only pouches I’ve been able to find that work on a 1.75” out of the gate are the Ghost 360, which seem to have questionable reviews from some. I do like the idea of glueing on some velcro to increase attachment surface area to the inner belt, just wish there were more packages that supported this belt width. Is there a reason why 1.75” just doesn’t seem at all popular?

I don’t know anyone running a 1.75” belt who isn’t a cop or similar.

1.5” is the standard all of our gear is designed around. Grab a $40 shooters connection branded belt and be happy.
Wise words.

I don’t have extensive experience but I will offer a few thoughts:

i started in production with a glock I shot idpa with, but I am in the process of moving to carry optics.

- CCW pouches are going to have too much retention pressure. 
- i had some cheap Blackhawk kydex pouches that were ok.   Vertical only.  moved around on belt

- I bought two CR speed and used two of the black hawk pouches on a CR speed belt.   The speeds are better but you have to add the cost of the right mag adapter.  They don’t have a mechanism to lock them on the belt to stay in one spot and the adjustment knob fell out of one and I had to by a replacement.  

- I bought two double AA and mounted those as the forward most pouches and moved the CR speeds to the back.  Much better adjustment, they have screws that lock them on the belt.  Come with all the adaptors.   Easier to move and position as well as adjust when on the belt.  

overall, I would say the DAA are the best I have tried and most of the “gear-oriented” shooters in my club are running them.  They aren’t cheap, but I figure it’s a buy once, cry once kind of thing.   At ~$35 each, they are worth it to me.   

I have Shooters Connection Belts and use Ghost Pouches, affordable and work. I had some break once only Ghost sent me all new pouches no charge. I have these setups on three belts

Thanks all for the suggestions. Wound up picking up some DAA Racers and a DAA Premium Belt. The Blue Alpha belt looks a lot nicer but it just doesn’t seem like it’ll work out.

Smart move getting the narrow belt...it is much easier to find options with a narrow belt than for the wider 1.75”. I bought an expensive wide belt a long time ago and made it work for a long time...but I switched when got tired of finding things to work with it. I shot 3-gun and USPSA, sometimes in the same weekend, so I needed easy reconfiguration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk