Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unburnt powder

wingnut

I keep hearing this and don't understand why.  I run 10.2 under a 115 and have zero unburned powder.  If it makes any difference I use CCI 500 primers and a Lee FCD crimp die for a good seat.

Edited by zzt

Just for giggles try seating at 1.150 and or using a SR primer if your not at max charge.  Also I see a lot of mention of .376-377 crimp and when I measure my cases with the bullets seated most are .375. So basically you’re not crimping at all unless your brass is thicker. I usually try for a crimp ring right at the mouth that’s.0005-.001 smaller than just below it. Some powders are just dirty unless your using heavy bullets and running at max. 

Edited by Farmer

Been there....had several interesting conversations with the Major Pistol folks about residue on my Chaos.

After much educational back and forth.....he suggested it’s possibly my barrel was cut a little deeper than normal and to try to increase my COL to fit the barrel. I was dubious to say the least.

Went from 1.165 to 1.175 COL with PD 124 and 9.8 MP........the debris problem was virtually eliminated. Pleasantly surprised.

Was it a couple of bad jugs of powder??....will never know....but I respect the Shooters World folks for working with me to solve my problem...it’s good to be taken seriously!!!!

Thanks.

On 7/17/2020 at 7:52 AM, zzt said:

If you have yellow residue you are running the gun too wet.

No, some powders leave a yellow corn meal looking residue behind.  Pretty much any of the AA powders do it.  Major Pistol is a clone of AA7. 

3 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

No, some powders leave a yellow corn meal looking residue behind.  Pretty much any of the AA powders do it.  Major Pistol is a clone of AA7. 

I also got it with Silhouette.  I'm telling you that when I ran really wet, I got a lot more of the yellow stuff.  Now that I switched lube I don't have to run wet and I don't get any.