Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoroughly test new equipment before a match...

alex_uspsa

Pretty rookie mistake I made not too long ago. I bought a fancy aftermarket trigger for my Glock 34, installed it, then put only one magazine down range with it the day before a USPSA all classifier match. Show up to the match the next day and I end up shooting terribly all four stages. The trigger safety (little notch in the bottom of the trigger shoe) on the aftermarket trigger is smaller and starts further down than the stock trigger safety. Since my grip is so high, my trigger finger was not deactivating the trigger safety most of the time. Swapped back to the factory trigger after that. Lesson learned. 

Great idea, for sure.

Been bit by the new equipment bug too many times to count, myself.

Most recently with a Burris FF3 on my brand new G34 MOS.

First shot, great!

Then... where did the dot go?

The battery compartment had flown open and spit the battery and cover against my forehead.

Tried as I might... that particular FF3 would not keep the battery in place.

Thankfully it was a $15 range visit vs a match.

Made me rethink the bottom mount battery on the RMRs for sure... saw them in a different light.

Learned my lesson with an extended mag release. Bad design IMO by Walther makes it so more or less any modern grip will hit it during recoil unless you rotate the paddle so far it’s barely useful. 
dropped my mag 3 times at the first shooting position of a stage and just called it. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Boudreaux78 said:

Didn’t put in new mag springs in my sons magazines before a major match. Cost him more malfunctions than I could count. Felt super bad for him. At least he said it was great practice on clearing a malfunction!

For the next couple of months, be sure to look inside your shoes for dog poop or thumbtacks before you put them on, carefully turn down the sheets all the way before getting into bed,  if the smoke detector goes off in the middle of the night be sure to turn on the hallway light and look for the aforementioned thumbtacks before running down the hallway barefoot!

Shot a local SC match and a shooter in the squad in front of us had a brand new Zev Glock with matching brand new ETS mags with great looking mag extensions. Everything looked great together until he shot the first stage and the gun wouldn't function. After borrowing tools and taking it all apart realized that the ETS mags were over inserting and jamming it. Borrowed a couple of stock Glock mags and all went well.

gerritm

I do not go to a match with a spanking clean gun. Instead I go to the range a day or two before the match and run a box through it to test it. The one time I did go with a spanking clean not recently fired gun my 1911 firing pin somehow got bound up and it went, THRRRIIIPPP full auto... DQ'd.

So it's not only about NEW stuff!

Edited by gnappi

Had another one last night. Picked up a CZ Tactical Sport off of here in January and put 150 rounds through it, adjusted the trigger, and put it away. Last night the buzzer went off and several shots failed to reset the trigger. Took 1/2 turn out of pre and overtravel screws and all better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk