Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide milling options???

Stafford

I know nothing about slide milling or machining. When looking at options, I see that the slide can be re-finished, or I can do it myself, or have it done. So, is this just the area of the slide that was cut for the optic, or does the whole slide need to be re-finished. And as far as refinishing, can it just be a coat of paint, or is it more involved?

Secondly, I see options to media blast or not media blast. Is it better to have done, or not done? I really don't know what is involved and the pros and cons. 

If I have a slide milled, it will only be for competition and range. Any need for sights?

Some milling options end up removing the rear dovetail. I would prefer not to do that in case I want to go back to iron sights. But, it seems like with some dots, that is required. Not really a question, just wondering why. 

Most, if not all, of your questions depend on what type (manufacturer & model) of slide you are referring to.

1) At a minimum, most places are referring to re-finishing the milled area.  Depending on your climate and the type of metal the slide is made of, you could DIY it with any number of options or choose to have it professionally done.  Many of the reputable shops (like Primary Machine) will re-finish the entire slide, not just the milled area.  So if you want a different look for the slide at the same time, this is an option.

2) Not sure 100% what you are referring to but I believe the media blast is either a) to remove/cover the existing finish of the slide or b) coat the milled area

3) Again this is up to you but assuming you are looking to compete/plink with something along the lines of a Carry Optics setup, many (or most) competition-oriented folks remove the iron sights.  Tactical-oriented folks seem by and large to retain the iron sights.  All personal preference here.

4) Again depending on the type of slide, the footprint and size of the optic will dictate what options you have available (i.e. replace rear dovetail with optic cut, add optic cut in front of rear dovetail, replace rear dovetail with optic cut and mill dovetail in front of optic) due to limitations on the slide (like the Glock striker channel for instance).  All again personal preference but it will be driven by the optic that you select.  And remember, once it is milled for a particular optic footprint, you are stuck with that.