Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Faulty Case feeder

Hi all, I am hoping for some advice. I started my 3 year old auto case feeder and it ran for about 20 seconds loading cases and all was going well, al of a sudden it went bang and caused flames inside the housing. The person I have been dealing with at Dillon has said that Dillon are not prepared to offer a replacement feeder or even replacement motor and offered me to purchase replacements (which at the prices offered are dearer than purchasing the items here in Australia) Just wondering what people's thoughts are. Is it acceptable that this item lasts only 3 years with very, very little use? Is this what all Dillon customer should accept from their case feeder? I'm Very disappointed and cannot believe the response I have received. I would be glad to hear what other people's thoughts are. Perhaps Im expecting too much, but I believe that at $500 this item should be expected to last more than 3 years. Cheers.

Was yours the older double speed or variable speed? I bought the variable speed upgrade for one of my case feeders and still have the old motor which works fine. Pay for shipping and it’s yours. PM me. 

7 hours ago, RePete said:

IIRC the warranty on all electrical components is 1 year.  That's in writing.

Hi RePete,

Yes I am aware of this, I just believe that the unit lasting 3 years is not acceptable. Hopefully Dillon will come to the party somehow.

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Electric motors are just cheaply made I guess. My casefeeder motor failed over the winter and my bullet feeder motor went out a few months ago.

Hi Sarge,

I have been made to feel by most people who have commented on here and other posts that I am the only one who has ever had this happen to. I understand there is only a 1 year warranty, but I do not believe that after 3 years this should happen. But it is what it is and I will have to pay for a new motor. Thanks for your reply.

1AB8C3DC-1FBE-41B8-94D6-F1B56B62C47E_4_5005_c.jpeg

Aren't case feeders $300 (Now) not $500? 3 years ago it would have been closer to $260-$270.

The cost of a replacement motor shouldn't be too much. Ive burned them out in less than 3 years. You could take it apart and find a comparable motor for under $40.

Motors wear out.  You also have to see it from Dillon's perspective.  The unit is 3 years old.  I have had my case feeder jam and if I had not taken user action who knows what would have happened to the motor.  Dillon cannot be expected to fix everyone's case feeder motors after years of use.  Even if a user claims they did not use it very much how would Dillon know?   Someone could run that press hours daily for three years and the motor just wears out.  Would Dillon be expected to replace that motor?  In this day and age of the internet I would think a resourceful person could replace that motor pretty easy and for not much money.  I would have handled it exactly the way Dillon handled it.  Not saying the motor burning out was your fault, but when it comes to electronics unfortunately too many consumers torch their electronics due to their own actions and expect companies to fix their problem.  Companies have to draw a line somewhere otherwise they would not be in business for long.  

I have read about casefeeder and Mr Bulletfeeder motors frying, but never had that experience.

My Dillon Casefeeder and KISS Bulletfeeder (the forerunner to Mr Bulletfeeder) still have the original motors.  I guess I'm one of the luck ones.

A mechanical/electrical device that is not used on a regular base. Is more likely to fail.Than one that is used constantly.

Example    a car/truck/peace of equipment that sets . seals dry out ,cylinders stick, fuel  deteriorates etc.Low hours/miles 

it failed or has to be repaired before use. one that is used on a regular base just works. Yes they brake down but not every time its used.

electric motors are the same. brushes stick .armatures stick etc.   The old saying "use it or loose it" applies.      Now a question if you had

used it every week for one hour would you be complaining?

2 hours ago, Richdab said:

Hi Sarge,

I have been made to feel by most people who have commented on here and other posts that I am the only one who has ever had this happen to. I understand there is only a 1 year warranty, but I do not believe that after 3 years this should happen. But it is what it is and I will have to pay for a new motor. Thanks for your reply.

1AB8C3DC-1FBE-41B8-94D6-F1B56B62C47E_4_5005_c.jpeg

yeah, you get good and bad motors. Mine have worked well. That pic does look like something happened either a massive voltage spike or a manufacturing defect that slowly burned it out. 

You run it a lot? I don’t know what the reliability requirements are for this but for comparison, micro electronics for cars are rated for 20yrs with an assumed 10% duty cycle. Meaning you would likely not run it more than 2yrs of time during that 20yrs.

6 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Aren't case feeders $300 (Now) not $500? 3 years ago it would have been closer to $260-$270.

The cost of a replacement motor shouldn't be too much. Ive burned them out in less than 3 years. You could take it apart and find a comparable motor for under $40.

Sadly here in  Australia they are over $500 and never a second hand one fond

4 hours ago, DJRyan13 said:

yeah, you get good and bad motors. Mine have worked well. That pic does look like something happened either a massive voltage spike or a manufacturing defect that slowly burned it out. 

You run it a lot? I don’t know what the reliability requirements are for this but for comparison, micro electronics for cars are rated for 20yrs with an assumed 10% duty cycle. Meaning you would likely not run it more than 2yrs of time during that 20yrs.

Very little use in that time. I would say I would have been better off purchasing my ammo in that time

1592344729_RVB1(1).thumb.jpg.de6ba4a09a2d5a1007d473a61882155d.jpgSeveral case and bullet feeder are available on ebay, many are made by individuals and sold at reasonable prices.

I have got a RVB 9mm bullet feeder at 200€, Mr Bullet feeder costs about 430€.

After using both, I am happy I saved 230€ 

Edited by Daniele

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, anyone that might be interested in the outcome of this little saga. Dillon have offered me a 30% discount on anything I order. So I have ordered the variable speed motor and a few other bits and pieces. Would have ordered more but a lot of items on backorder. I couldn't have asked for more. Dillon have been very good about this.