Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Colt

Makitaman

Got a Winchester .45 Colt 1893 on the way and was hoping someone has a good  load for it. I really wanted to shoot a 225gr but could sacrifice bullet weight some for the right load. Planning on purchasing a Uberti  handgun in same caliber. Just a good starting load I know it'll have to be tweaked a little. I need the load to be able to take out a hog if necessary. Slinging it out of a rifle shouldn't be a problem but out of a 5.5" barrel on hand gun might require some give and take. I know some of you gotta have a load.  Let me know asap thanks guys 

Edited by Makitaman

Might wanna slug the barrel on the Winchester 1892 I assume ( 1893 is a shotgun)
That or try a small amount of .454 bullets.
If the Uberti is fairly recent should use .452 bullets just fine. Mine did.
I used 45 cowboy brass in my revolver when I loaded live ammo. I generally used it for blanks though.
45 cowboy is 45 colt rim with 45 ACP OAL you load using a 45 colt shellplate and ACP dies. No idea if the shorter rounds will feen in the rifle though.  Then you use 45 acp data.
As far as loads I have plenty. I got them from  Lyman and Speer manual. Not like you are looking for exotic designs.
I know you have a manual .

Sorry for the typo should read 1873 Winchester . Yeah I always slug the barrels.  Figured someone had a similar rifle setup  with a load worked out.  Like to use titegroup and a 225 grain bullet if possible. I  have a uberti 5.5" barrel also hoping to be able to get load worked out to shoot decent in both. 

Thanks 

While there are many powders / bullet combinations that work in 45 colt, one has to cautious of over charge and powder position w the large case. I started using unique and trail boss, tin star, used many many others but those are great stater powders.  For what it worth I have a number of Uberti's and all mine work with .452. This would include hand guns and rifles. My current load for pistols is using a 220g full wad with w231, but this is in no book. Current load for rifle is a 200g with trail boss.

I shoot a lot of 45 Colt. Unique is the go to powered. I load from 8.0 to 8.5 gr of Unique with a .452 250 lead Round Nose Flat Point or .451 Blue Bullet 250 RNFP with standard 45 Colt brass. The 8.5 gr load should give you what you want for hunting. My OAL is 1.58”

http://cowboybullets.com/45-cal-250-grain_p_26.html Lead RNFP

http://www.reloadammo.com/45cload.htm

Edited by jeffz

• 4 weeks later...

I too have used Unique in .45 Colt and .44 special for years...In .45 I usually use 8.5g, although I often go higher in my 25-5 smith..

However, I have substituted Universal and gotten great results  To achieve same velocity as Unique, the charge weight can vary .2-.4 of a grain. 

Just as accurate and a little cleaner, and meters better.

John Linebaugh who is naturally associated with "MAGNUM" big bores has written that the revolver he shoots and carries most is a 25-5! loaded with a 260g at approx 900fps. I think he favors 231, somewhere around 8g, but that you will have to do a little research to confirm. good luck 

Anyone else shoot 45 cowboy ?  It's 45 colt rim but 45 acp length. Loads with 45acp dies with a 45 colt shell holder. Uses basic ACP data. Its what I used in my Uberti and remington conversion for live ammo, as I used my colt brass for blanks. Kept things simple separating the brass, as the Blank brass had over sized flash holes.