Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laser for a PCC?

On 9/24/2020 at 10:47 AM, Acer2428 said:

If you EVER shoot an indoor match, it's like cheating. 

Agreed!!

The Crimson Trace 206 in green is used for our indoor winter matches and if an outdoor stage has close targets.  Granted, it does require practice as transitioning from a red dot optic to the laser requires a slightly different head position, looking around the optic for the dot on the target.  

The primary is a Sig Romeo4 that has 3 different patterns for the dot, 1) just the dot 2) 3 dots stacked over each other for distance shots and 3) single dot in middle of circle with "compass" points around the outside of the circle. 

The laser is mounted underneath the Romeo4 so it never gets in the way.

BC

Blue_Carbine2.jpg

Edited by BillChunn
42 minutes ago, BillChunn said:

Granted, it does require practice as transitioning from a red dot optic to the laser requires a slightly different head position, looking around the optic for the dot on the target.  

My setup does not require looking outside of the optic to use the laser.  I went with the green laser for this exact purpose.  I have a red dot and a green laser to easily tell which aiming devices point of impact will be and can distinguish hold overs as necessary.

Shooting fast with a laser is definitely a different skill set then using a dot.  For whatever reason I want to confirm the laser longer than I do a dot when coming onto target.  When you think you would automatically treat them the same.

Nice PCC.

Edited by Boomstick303
1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

My setup does not require looking outside of the optic to use the laser.  I went with the green laser for this exact purpose.  I have a red dot and a green laser to easily tell which aiming devices point of impact will be and can distinguish hold overs as necessary.

Shooting fast with a laser is definitely a different skill set then using a dot.  For whatever reason I want to confirm the laser longer than I do a dot when coming onto target.  When you think you would automatically treat them the same.

Nice PCC.

When I tried looking thru the Romeo4, it just got too "busy" with the two different color dots in it.  Looking to the side at the target allowed me to focus where the dot was and where the round was going to go (hopefully....).

BC

I'm an RO.  I run shooters using all kinds of stuff.  The ones using lasers are generally slower than those using optics.  Yesterday, one speed shoot stage had 9 targets stapled to a backer.  Each target was the A zone of the head surrounded by black.  The one PCC shooter who used a laser fired from the hip.  The dot wiggled all over the place and he took 18 shots to land one each in the A zone.  No one else took anywhere near that many.

I tried shooting a friend's laser equipped, iron sight gun and found it to be way slower for me.

18 hours ago, zzt said:

I'm an RO.  I run shooters using all kinds of stuff.  The ones using lasers are generally slower than those using optics.  Yesterday, one speed shoot stage had 9 targets stapled to a backer.  Each target was the A zone of the head surrounded by black.  The one PCC shooter who used a laser fired from the hip.  The dot wiggled all over the place and he took 18 shots to land one each in the A zone.  No one else took anywhere near that many.

I tried shooting a friend's laser equipped, iron sight gun and found it to be way slower for me.

As some had said, the laser will work for some things. And it certainly does not work for all things.

One thing that I've seen it work for is one or two very close targets at the very beginning of a stage. Just pointing from the hip. Saved the guy a few fractions of a second. He was also using a PCC that didn't bounce.

Edited by perttime