Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nitride finish on the inside of the barrel

I purchased a Faxon 9mm barrel and it says the inside has the same Nitride finish as the outside does.

Has anyone found that the finish in the chamber causes any issues with not cycling properly? Was wondering

if I need to polish the finish out of the chamber for better cycling reliability......

I've been using a nitrided Faxon barrel for a while now and no issues whatsoever.  Nitriding basically hardens the surface and shouldn't have a negative effect in any way.  You can polish the chamber if you want to.  That will probably remove the black finish, which isn't very durable.  But that's purely cosmetic.

Thanks for the response!

I was afraid that it might make the chamber a little "tighter" because of the coating. I know it's very thin but was just wondering if anyone had any issues with the extra "thickness" of the coating.

I ordered the barrel with the muzzle brake that is machined as part of the barrel-is that the one you have? Wondering if the brake does any good.........

Thanks for your reply!!!!!

Copterdrvr

Edited by copterdrvr

I also have a Faxon barrel in my G34. No issues, except when trying  to do plunk test the rounds have a tendency to stick. The chamber is cut real short and when I tried to throat with a reamer the coating is so hard that the reamer didn’t even put a mark on it. As far as accuracy out of about 5 different barrels that I tried this was the only one that increased accuracy by a wide margin. Reliability is spot on maybe equal to the oem. My only gripe is it’s a pia changing loads or bullet profile. Everything has to be loaded short, and plunk tested. Plus you have to start from scratch on load data, because not much info out there on these short loads.

My Faxon barrel is threaded and I'm currently running an SLR linear comp.  I haven't tried the one with the integral comp.  The black finish on the nitrided parts is like a parkerized coating, and it does have kind of a rough texture.  But the coating isn't very hard, so it shouldn't cause feeding or ejection problems.  The actual metal underneath is what's hard (and durable). 

Read this.

Black Nitride

Black Nitride is becoming more common and slowly replacing the parkerizing of steel parts. Most chrome moly barrels that were parkerized in days past are now melonited, which is a fancy name for black nitride. Nitriding vastly increases the hardness of the metal that is treated without changing the material dimensionally like the build up of a hard coat. This treatment is great for use on barrels to prevent corrosion and increase barrel life. A barrel that is nitrided is going to be more accurate that a chrome lined barrel because chrome plating takes away some of the sharpness of the rifling. The black nitride treatment is very durable and highly resistant to wear and it will not flake because it is not a coating.

18 minutes ago, copterdrvr said:

Excellent info-thanks!

I'm currently loading a 115 grn Berry at 1.130-do you think I will have a problem with that as far as plunk test in the Faxon barrel?

Not sure, best to do a plunk test. If your slide closes on a too long round it’s pretty hard to get it unstuck. Plunk test and then subtract 15 to 20 thou to allow for variation in your rounds. And adjust powder drop accordingly.

Received the barrel yesterday-scrubbed it out good with a bore brush and Bore Tech solvents and it functioned perfectly and ran my old ammo without a hitch shooting five shot groups at 15 yards that you could cover with a quarter and thats without any load development. My old 147 grn loads at 1.50 would plunk test without a big issue....

After running my TESLONG bore scope through the barrel there was ZERO evidence of any nitride finish left in the interior of the barrel.....

Edited by copterdrvr
1 hour ago, copterdrvr said:

Received the barrel yesterday-scrubbed it out good with a bore brush and Bore Tech solvents and it functioned perfectly and ran my old ammo without a hitch shooting five shot groups at 15 yards that you could cover with a quarter and thats without any load development. My old 147 grn loads at 1.50 would plunk test without a big issue....

After running my TESLONG bore scope through the barrel there was ZERO evidence of any nitride finish left in the interior of the barrel.....

What barrel was it? And what bullet allowed you to run at 1.150? Are you saying that your solvents removed the nitrided process?

5 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

The nitriding is in the steel.  The black finish that's gone is just a surface coating. 

Interesting-I thought that the black finish WAS the Nitride coating.  How does it penetrate what is seen as "raw" steel? Barrel interior looks exactly like all of my other firearms that do not have any coating, i.e. bare metal. Before I cleaned it, it did not look like bare metal.

The barrel is the Faxon 16 inch barrel that has the muzzle brake machined (and not removable) on the end of the barrel blank that gives it an overall length of 16 inches.