Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS/TSO vs. 2011

Stafford

20 minutes ago, Stafford said:

Seems like you'd only need two with basepads. If you need a 3rd mag to get through a stage, the 17 rounders should be plenty. Assuming you didn't add the larger magwell. 

Your looking at minimums if everything goes right on the stage/match.  In this game, the $76 for 2 extra basepads seems like pretty cheap insurance after you've committed to shooting a TS/TSO.

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

Seems like you'd only need two with basepads. If you need a 3rd mag to get through a stage, the 17 rounders should be plenty. Assuming you didn't add the larger magwell. 

When I first started I was advised to get four mags and carry three on my belt.  Three on the belt was in case you fumbled a mag change and dropped it.  The fourth was a spare in case one of the others was damaged in a match.  I'll say that I never used the fourth mag in a match.  I ordered it with the gun, so I brought it anyway.

3 hours ago, aandabooks said:

You can do $50 mags.  Just run them stock and be happy with 17rds.  You'll just have to stage plan for that and won't be able to run a CZ Custom deep magwell since with no extension seating will be a problem.

I took my Beretta mags made by Mec Gar with + 2 extensions that would hold 20 rounds of 9mm and stuffed them with .40 cal rounds.  

IIRC, the most I could get in was 15 rounds.

so with a Barney round in the gun, I was at a total of 16 on board.

I am assuming USPSA still has the 8 shots per array rule???

so back then trying to shoot Limited at major PF with a Beretta 96 was a non-starter.

you fire one make up shot before the end of the second array and you're stuck doing a flat footed slide lock reload (right in the middle of the array)

I ended up going with the Beretta 92 in 9mm and shooting Limited minor.

at least with stock TS or TSO mags, 18 in the gun does give you some more flexibility and room for error.

I had a matched pair of Atlas Titans which were great pistols. I came to them after shooting Glocks for many years and just couldn’t adapt to the grip angle. Purchased a TSO and immediately was at one with it. The timer doesn’t lie and CZ dropped seconds off my Titan and a Glock times. My TSO’s stock  triggers were 14 ounces and have worn in to 12 ounces which are perfectly useable for me. The Titan triggers were phenomenal but I don’t feel that I am giving up anything with m6 CZ triggers. I also have a newish CM and it’s trigger is 15 ounces and I am just breaking it in this year.

Well I never had to tune my TS. It shot phenomenally well, was accurate and never puked on me. CZs really are in every way superior for me. Fit my hand perfect and recoil is ridiculously light compared to a 2011. 

Fun fact, my mags ran my 40 loads (180,200 gr), a TSO in 9 mm with 147 minor loads and a Czechmate with 124 and 115 major ammo without tuning. CZ mags are amazing. 

I just made the switch to Limited from Carry Optics and while I would have loved a 2011, I just couldn’t afford one at the moment. I am still personalizing my TSO and once it is where I want it, I will probably continue with it for the next year, year and a half until I can afford a 2011 and then the TSO will be my backup. For me, the 2011 just feels more at home in my hands but both are awesome guns.

I have been trying to track down Tactical Sports in .40 , but not much luck.  I was hoping some distributors had some stuck on a shelf from 2018 when they were discontinued.

a TSO is my second choice.

I like the two tone look of the TS’s... better.

I took the slide off my SP01 last night and put It on my matte stainless CZ75b .

The matte stainless slide wouldn’t fit on my SP01 frame.  😞

32 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

I have been trying to track down Tactical Sports in .40 , but not much luck.  I was hoping some distributors had some stuck on a shelf from 2018 when they were discontinued.

a TSO is my second choice.

I like the two tone look of the TS’s... better.

I took the slide off my SP01 last night and put It on my matte stainless CZ75b .

The matte stainless slide wouldn’t fit on my SP01 frame.  😞

The TSO has the slightly better frame.  Not by much and if you can find a new old stock TS I would go that way and save the money.  

I think to make your 75b fit you need to delete the firing pin block.  I know I was able to take a 75b slide and put it on a TS frame but the block had to come out.

Even though I have been a 1911/2011 fan most of my life, I have never been a fan of grip safeties (always had to pin them) or the position of the thumb safety, as its too far to the rear and has always bothered me a little. I have even tried the low shelf variety, and they still cause me discomfort. Then the TSO came into my life, and all is now right with the world.....

Both my 9mm and 40 hold 20 reloadable and reliable. Its all I've ever needed.

On 7/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, igolfat8 said:

...My TSO’s stock  triggers were 14 ounces and have worn in to 12 ounces which are perfectly useable for me. The Titan triggers were phenomenal but I don’t feel that I am giving up anything with m6 CZ triggers. I also have a newish CM and it’s trigger is 15 ounces and I am just breaking it in this year.

Wow, 14 oz trigger out of the box!   I have worked on mine; best I can get is 1 lb-4 oz.  

• 1 month later...

I think most people would agree a high end 2011 is going to shoot a bit smoother and have a better trigger of course.  that being said, I can't think of a better buy on the market for a USPSA limited major gun than a TSO which is good to go out of the box.  sure its not as super high end and sexy as an Atlas or something, but its 1/3 the price and its performance surely won't hold anybody back.  they just run. 

CZC extended base pads with the CZC spring kit gets 20+1 capacity.  21+1 is a rumor, I havent heard of anybody doing it without issues.  a lot of 2011s can get 21+1, slight edge in capacity.  if I was paying $3-4-5-6 K for a limited gun id want that "slight"edge too!  but I stay with my $1700 retail 20+1 capacity TSO please. 

11 hours ago, IF788 said:

21+1 is a rumor, I havent heard of anybody doing it without issues.

CZC base pad plus CZC spring and factory follower gives you 21 reloadable in any TS mag I've tried the combo in.  The CZC springs are not as strong as the factory springs.  After a while they weaken to the point where the slide will no longer lock back on empty.  They do still feed the last round, but I feel they need replacing at that point.  FWIW, I don't get the capacity craving.  I load 20 rounds in my TS mags regardless of which spring is inside.  The extra round buys you nothing, and wears the spring out faster.

9 minutes ago, zzt said:

CZC base pad plus CZC spring and factory follower gives you 21 reloadable in any TS mag I've tried the combo in.  The CZC springs are not as strong as the factory springs.  After a while they weaken to the point where the slide will no longer lock back on empty.  They do still feed the last round, but I feel they need replacing at that point.  FWIW, I don't get the capacity craving.  I load 20 rounds in my TS mags regardless of which spring is inside.  The extra round buys you nothing, and wears the spring out faster.

after about a 6-9 months and 7,000 rounds I never got Mine to load 21 usable.  sure, if I ram it in there but there's a high probability of 2 things happening A-feed issue or most likely B - I go to reload and the mag doesn't seat and I get the dreaded "BANG - mag falls out".  I never know about lock back, I always run the Czechmate stop pins which disable lock back mechanically (its just a pin, no lever thingy for the mag to push up on). 

2 hours ago, IF788 said:

after about a 6-9 months and 7,000 rounds I never got Mine to load 21 usable.

Are you using the CZC springs?  I get 21 reloadable and do not have to come anywhere close to "slamming' the mag in.  I just insert it and it clicks in.  I have to push slightly harder to get my 20 round (factory springs) mags to seat.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Are you using the CZC springs?  I get 21 reloadable and do not have to come anywhere close to "slamming' the mag in.  I just insert it and it clicks in.  I have to push slightly harder to get my 20 round (factory springs) mags to seat.

Yes.  I dunno,  maybe I need to load em to 21 and let em sit for a while, or do that a lot in practice to break em it.  for whatever reason, seems like the resistance is to great and I never went there.  I know a few shooters of both CZ and Tango who are in the same boat, afraid to load 21.  I had a tango limited with Henning pads and grams kit - video of Henning showing 21 in the mag.  never could do it... 

24 minutes ago, IF788 said:

Yes.  I dunno,  maybe I need to load em to 21 and let em sit for a while

If you are running factory mag springs you can leave them fully loaded until you are 150 years old and you still won't get 21 reloadable in.  Maybe CZC changed their springs in the last five years.  I got 21 reloadable from day one and could press the top round down almost half a case diameter with my thumb.