Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shadow 2 insert loaded mag then slide goes forward ?

glen455

Shadow 2 insert loaded mag on an open slide from firing then slide goes forward into battery sometimes. Does not seem to happen with empty mag at home I tried moving slide release down a bit before inserting empty mag. I now have some some snap caps so will give that a try. Maybe it is because I am using lower recoil spring?  Too much oil on parts?   Berry 124 rn 3.8 grain win 231 light and easy target loads.  Also is it normal that my brass ejects directly to the right of me ? Its about 6-8 feet.  90 to 110 degrees          thanks 

37 minutes ago, glen455 said:

Shadow 2 insert loaded mag on an open slide from firing then slide goes forward into battery sometimes. Does not seem to happen with empty mag at home I tried moving slide release down a bit before inserting empty mag. I now have some some snap caps so will give that a try. Maybe it is because I am using lower recoil spring?  Too much oil on parts?   Berry 124 rn 3.8 grain win 231 light and easy target loads.  Also is it normal that my brass ejects directly to the right of me ? Its about 6-8 feet.  90 to 110 degrees          thanks 

The "Auto-Forward" feature is not a guaranteed function, but it's a nice thing to have. I believe it has to do with houw the slide stop interacts with a loaded mag versus a empty mag on insertion. It doesn't take a lot of force to insert the mag to have the slide into battery; I mean if you baby handle the reload it won't go into battery.

As for the ejection of brass, as long as it's not dribbling out and not clearing or stovepiping, you are ok. Based on your description, your gun is ejecting brass OK.

Auto forward is totally normal, it's physics. Insert mag hard enough to move gun, gun moves compresses recoil spring, slide tries to stay in place (physics) spring is compressed enough that slide stop can release, then spring sends slide forward. Can happen on almost any gun 

If you could build this feature into a gun, and have it work reliably, you would have one hell of a sales feature and competition shooters would stand in line with their money to have the feature added to their gun...I know I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you don't need to use a lot of force with most guns, most especially after they are broken in. You just need to hold the gun right to do it. when the mag goes in the needs to be held so that the motion of the mag coming to stop moves the frame up and forward, so that the slide attempts to stay in it's location, compressing the recoil spring as it tries to do this, this allows the slidestop spring to drop the slidestop, and when the motion of the frame stops, the recoil spring sends the slide forward. simple. 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:31 PM, usmc1977 said:

If you could build this feature into a gun, and have it work reliably, you would have one hell of a sales feature and competition shooters would stand in line with their money to have the feature added to their gun...I know I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not many comp guys want to go to slide lock lol 

The S2 was designed with IPSC production in mind. One in the chamber, hammer down, DA first shot, reload before you are out.

The are also people who claim Cz magazines are junk because if you slam them in, the bottom falls out.

But then again, I dont use my guns as jack stand either.

Somewhere there is a thread where Memphismechanic tweaked a gun for consistent and reliable auto forward. 

As I recall it was a Tanfo but the principals should be the same.

For a right handed shooter (easy to hit slide release) the auto forward makes things look faster but did not aid my shot to shot time. If you have to go through any gyrations, slam mag - hold the gun a certain way, that interfere with a smooth reload it is likely slower.

The old M&P’s used to auto forward, the 2.0’s are made not to do that. For competition where you go to slide lock (IDPA), it’s a good feature. If you shoot a lot of make-up shots in Production, Limited 10, SS, and always reload on the move, it’s a good feature for USPSA. I saw a guy shooting Production last night who regulary shot make-ups, went to slide lock, and reloaded on the move, Didn’t seem to hurt his time or accuracy.

I know of one defensive/tactical instructor who always recommends an over the top slingshot for every reload after slidelock, even if the pistol autoforwards. His reasoning is that you can’t guarantee that the auto forward chambered a round. So, even if the slide goes forward, he automatically racks over the top, almost always ejecting a chambered round. He wants the muscle memory of the over the top slingshot to be ingrained every time. 

My Berettas used to autoforward very easily.

Some consider it a feature, others don't.  After doing an overinsertion that locked up the gun I'd rather have a magazine that didn't want to cause an auto-forward.

This is the edge of the slide stop which locks into a corresponding notch on the slide to hold the slide open, due to manufacturing tolerance stacking some slides are more likely to release than others when a mag is slammed home.

If you want that feature, gently file the corner of the slide stop, but remember: there's a very fine line between a slide which closes when you insert a mag and a slide which won't stay locked open.

595835f4b9781_slidestop.thumb.jpg.47e4133fe6b5fe594c2821dc00456b0f.jpg

On 7/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, Stafford said:

For competition where you go to slide lock (IDPA), it’s a good feature. If you shoot a lot of make-up shots in Production, Limited 10, SS, and always reload on the move, it’s a good feature for USPSA

I'd recommend timing yourself, shot on target - reload - shot on target.

When the slide goes forward immediately, instead on as you are getting your grip it looks fast, for me it was not any faster. 

• 9 months later...

My question is when I pull my slide back on my CZ-Shadow 2 (Orange). The slide just locks up like I just emptied the mag. The magazine is empty when I've tried to do it. I haven't been to the range yet. Is it because the mad is empty. Will it go forward automatically if the magazine is full. ? Moreover; what do I need to do to the gun so I can mount a suppressor on it ? . What should be my next gun. I have an AR-15 , a semi automatic shotgun. And two 9 mm

On 7/20/2020 at 5:29 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I'd recommend timing yourself, shot on target - reload - shot on target.

When the slide goes forward immediately, instead on as you are getting your grip it looks fast, for me it was not any faster. 

Betting it wasn't any slower either.

If this is the case, there's no negative to having the slide auto-forward.

5 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Betting it wasn't any slower either.

If this is the case, there's no negative to having the slide auto-forward.

unless it sometimes fails to lock back......    I don't pay much attention to lockback tho unless I'm shooting SS. Limited gun doesn't lock back, and who knows if my CO gun locks back or not... I've never shot it to empty, and probably never will.

10 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

unless it sometimes fails to lock back......    I don't pay much attention to lockback tho unless I'm shooting SS. Limited gun doesn't lock back, and who knows if my CO gun locks back or not... I've never shot it to empty, and probably never will.

I've blown too many stages to remember, so I know which guns lock back, which guns auto-forward, and which guns jam at the least convenient times...

Practice is probably my best, but least seen friend, hopefully since I recently retired me and him can get reacquainted...