Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 986 7-shot 9mm revo ? What's the point of this gun?

ysrracer

You have to remember that almost no guns in general are "for" any competition division in particular, this is even more true for revolvers. 

yes there are competition specific guns on the market but they are such a small percentage of the total sales that they basically round off to zero. 

Shoot at my bowling pin match revolver division. 5 pins back of table. I shoot a 686 pro 7 shot.
Actually a nice ranch gun as well. Popped 2 coyotes and a fox so far DRT. Gun isnt super heavy. I also just found one of my grail guns,,  a 2.75"  386 scadmium framed 7 shot and just picked up my cross draw thumb break for it. Will be my back country riding gun, ( black bears, meth heads,,, black bear methheads for all I know)

But as mentioned, most guns arnt for competition. I imagine S&W just made the 9 as it was super easy to make as they were already making the 7 shot 686's and 586's,,,, 

2 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I just picked one up for Steel Challenge. Seems fine, just have to not miss a whole lot

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Steel challenge with a six shooter is a fun challenge, 7 would be better, 8 takes away too much of the need for consistency. Your mileage may vary.

On 7/15/2020 at 7:43 PM, Toolguy said:

What match is that?

There is a local match in the Upper Pennisula each year called the Pig Iron Classic.   The first and second place shooters in the revolver Division, used different 986.   I took 2nd...   

46 minutes ago, pcschwenke said:

There is a local match in the Upper Pennisula each year called the Pig Iron Classic.   The first and second place shooters in the revolver Division, used different 986.   I took 2nd...   

Good shooting! Sounds like fun.

I use a 686+ for SC makes me concentrate on my shoots. The last match I used 150 rounds for a 145 round match. It's fun beating shooters half my age when they use hicap auto loaders.

On 7/12/2020 at 4:28 PM, ysrracer said:

What would you do with a 7-round 9mm pistol?

Buy it, mail it to me so I can install a carbon barrel on it. I don’t know why but I’ve been wanting to build someone one- it would be really close to breaking 2lbs.