Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Powder for PD 147 FP

fedupflyer

I never seemed to have many of the PD 147 FPs to test but I did use quite a few of the RN version in my XDm 5.25.

Bullet:  Precision Delta 147 gr. FMJ-TC
Powder:  VihtaVuori N320 3.7 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100
Case:  Federal
LOAL:  1.145

Bullet:  Precision Delta 147 gr. FMJ-RN
Powder:  VihtaVuori N320 3.6 grs.
LOAL:  1.150
Average Velocity:  988.81 fps  
ES:  17.97
SD:  5.74

Bullet:  Precision Delta 147 gr. FMJ-RN
Powder:  Winchester WSF 4.2 grs.
LOAL:  1.150
Average Velocity:  992.56 fps  
ES:  38.68
SD:  11.31

5 hours ago, fedupflyer said:

What is the communities favorite powder for the 147s (and not Titegroup).

The question we should ask you is, what do you have available right now to load?

I think if you do a search these  come out popular, 320, And Sport Pistol are the two top favorites right now. However, if you don’t have some on hand it’s highly unlikely you’ll get any in the next month or two. 

16 hours ago, HesedTech said:

The question we should ask you is, what do you have available right now to load?

I think if you do a search these  come out popular, 320, And Sport Pistol are the two top favorites right now. However, if you don’t have some on hand it’s highly unlikely you’ll get any in the next month or two. 

Well that was not the question.

I do have several powders available right now such as N320, Sport Pistol and Bullseye. In addition, one of the shops I frequent has quite a few powders on hand, so selection is not the issue.

I am trying to find what powder(s) works best for 147g so that I can narrow my inventory. I have been working with 147g in the past but I have not achieved the results that I am looking for.

I don't know if it the bullet, the powder or my technique that is causing me to not achieve my goal. Before I switch to Nosler 147 JHP, I am trying to eliminate powder as a variable.

Apparently alot of people do not shoot 147s that are anything other than coated.

Since Titegroup is out, Sport Pistol seems to be pretty popular right now.  N320 is also popular.  What works for me, might not work for you.  I shoot 124gr only because they were on sale, but I really like the 147gr bullets.

people arnt answering cause everyone is using tightgroup for plated and jacketed. 
By far the communities favorite powder based on USPSA national surveys for all 3 mostly 9mm minor divisions is Tightgroup

47 minutes ago, fedupflyer said:

I have been working with 147g in the past but I have not achieved the results that I am looking for.

What results are you looking for?

If it's accuracy I found the Precision Delta 147 FMJRN the most accurate and easiest to load (long OAL) over the HPs. At 25 yards Tanfoglio S2 easily hand hold (freestyle) three inches and less groups.

Used both TG and SP with equal results shooting at a PF of 130+. (3.56 SP with the 147 PDs, 3.36 SP with coated FP 147s).

There's more than enough advice across the forum for the weight and powder choices you're working with. Can't go wrong with 320 or SP.

Edited by HesedTech

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

What results are you looking for?

With my PCC and 115g and 124g, I have been getting about one inch groups with 10 shots at 25 yds.

I am trying to replicate that with 147s. No I will not be using 147s in the PCC but in an XDM and a Sig 320.

In the past I have used plated and coated 147s but like I said I was not happy with the results. It looked more like a shotgun pattern.

The end result is trying to get the most accurate ammo possible so that I know it is my screw up and not the gun or the ammo.

I am moving away from Titegroup because it is so damn dirty and doubly so in a blowback carbine.

I have had good results from CFE, Sport Pistol, N320 and Bullseye. I was thinking of trying Silhouette but I am trying to thin out before I buy anymore.

Trying to find that one powder that is good for 115, 124 and 147. I just have limited experience with 147s.

Edited by fedupflyer

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

people arnt answering cause everyone is using tightgroup for plated and jacketed. 
By far the communities favorite powder based on USPSA national surveys for all 3 mostly 9mm minor divisions is Tightgroup

I am actually surprised I got this many responses in under 24 hrs.

42 minutes ago, fedupflyer said:

With my PCC and 115g and 124g, I have been getting about one inch groups with 10 shots at 25 yds.

I am trying to replicate that with 147s. No I will not be using 147s in the PCC but in an XDM and a Sig 320.

In the past I have used plated and coated 147s but like I said I was not happy with the results. It looked more like a shotgun pattern.

The end result is trying to get the most accurate ammo possible so that I know it is my screw up and not the gun or the ammo.

I am moving away from Titegroup because it is so damn dirty and doubly so in a blowback carbine.

I have had good results from CFE, Sport Pistol, N320 and Bullseye. I was thinking of trying Silhouette but I am trying to thin out before I buy anymore.

Trying to find that one powder that is good for 115, 124 and 147. I just have limited experience with 147s.

both pistols you list have issues with 147s   XDM has a short through requiring short over all length.not the best combination with 147s bullet selection can be tough.it can be done.

The sig has a reputation of just not being accurate with 147s but if you load in the 140 power factor range it can be done.   one load for both ?

I don't blame you for not wanting to use Tightcrap.

Edited by AHI

My wife shoots the 9mm in our house. She doesn't compete & doesn't care about chrono data. She shoots what "feels good" & she finds accurate. She likes the PD 147 TCFP and 4.3-4.4 grains of Unique powder. 

Shooters World CleanShot is superior to titegroup in my honest opinion.  Load weight is around the same but the grains aare smaller with the cleanshot, more consistent metering and doesn't stick.  Shoots cleaner comparatively as well.  Check them out.

I have a bunch of Maxium CSB-1 from the last shortage. Been using it a lot in the last couple years. I really like it. Very clean, meters good and is cheap when you can find it. I found a bunch for less than $10 a pound.

With the current bullet shortage I have run out of 115 and 124 Precision Delta bullets.
I have about 1000 PD 147 FP lying around that I haven't really messed with.
What is the communities favorite powder for the 147s (and not Titegroup).

I Use 4.3 Gr. of VV N350 w/9mm 147 Gr. RMR Full Metal Jacket Flat Point, 134 PF..

• 3 months later...