Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surplus Jericho 941 - My Experience

I picked up one of the recent surplus Jericho 941F (Frame Safety full size 4.5 barrel) with HC finish. I have been watching for one of these for a while and when these showed up, and with the cool star emblem on engraved on the frame, I decided to pull the trigger. What can I say, these pistols are just plain cool, and supposedly shoot fantastic. I plan on just using this as a range gun, maybe a HD pistol if it proves to be reliable, which it should.

20200709_231745.jpg.9d7cf8685d9857f56b825371dafce2b4.jpg

I have been experimenting with compatibility and have posted a bit on someone else's topic, but I decided I would create my own.

My preliminary research showed that these pistols are basically the same internally as older Tanfoglio witness pistols all except for the grips, and the hammer strut/spring which are the longer CZ design. So far I have successfully converted it from SA as it was purchased, and designated by the Israeli police force, to DA/SA. I was able to swap out the stock safety and add in the disconnector I had lying around from my Stock 2. It does function, but the hammer does not come all the way back in DA so a live fire test at the range will verify if it works acceptably or if it will need some more experimentation.

The next thing I want to try, is to find a replacement safety lever, with a thumb ledge that is parallel to the barrel as all my other Tanfoglios are. I saw some 941s posted on GB that had these type of safeties so I know it is possible. I don't like the upward angled safety. These guns use the little tombstone shaped steel plate that nests into a pocket in the frame. It sounds like it MAY be compatible with very old Tanfoglio safeties, or possibly the polymer Tanfoglios even manufactured today. I am still trying to verify this and have not yet ordered any parts. If anyone can verify any of my suspicions about these safeties, please post here.

Jericho Safety 1.jpg

Jericho Safety 2.jpg

1160675389_Jericho941CZ75safety.jpg.2aefb1424a2e6e6f3cde47598665fffb.jpg

Edited by EngineerEli

I ordered two 941s a month ago (I may have to cancel my order and get them some other time---still haven't shipped and I don't care what "virus" excuses they use that's too long for a supposedly in-stock item) because I was researching their similarities to Tanfoglio/CZ and it seemed that they may really be a "best of both worlds" option.

The original hammer strut/spring setup

Tanfolgio's firing pin block that falls down instead of being pressed up and retains the firing pin retention plate

Compatibility with virtually all mags---Mec Gar 17/19 (CZ) or Mec-Gar 17 (SF Tanfoglio)

Found a couple threads on here about them:

I already have a PD SF extended firing pin, spring, Dawson Front sight (baby eagle) and Tanfoglio adjustable match rear sight (made by LPA) as well as some LOK grips.

I figured I'd have the guns by now.

On 7/11/2020 at 8:06 PM, EngineerEli said:

The next thing I want to try, is to find a replacement safety lever, with a thumb ledge that is parallel to the barrel as all my other Tanfoglios are. I saw some 941s posted on GB that had these type of safeties so I know it is possible. I don't like the upward angled safety. These guns use the little tombstone shaped steel plate that nests into a pocket in the frame. It sounds like it MAY be compatible with very old Tanfoglio safeties, or possibly the polymer Tanfoglios even manufactured today. I am still trying to verify this and have not yet ordered any parts. If anyone can verify any of my suspicions about these safeties, please post here.

Jericho Safety 1.jpg

Jericho Safety 2.jpg

that does look just like the inside of the safety on my polymer Tanfoglio, interesting that they run that version on a steel framed gun. I would look at one of the safety's off the newer polymer match pistols 

So I have a few findings to report. Another member here did me the favor of measure the width of his polymer frame and it is 1.105". Unfortunately this doesn't match my 941.

The measurements I took off it this morning on my Jericho are;

Frame width: 1.008"

Safety Shaft dia: 0.157" 

Safety 'Hub' dia: 0.313"

I'm also being told that the much older Tanfoglio steel framed safeties are compatible. Frame width is 0.998 and shaft dia is 0.156".

Also looks like there is the possibility for the pre B CZ 75 safeties (single sided) at least to be compatible...

http://apexgunsmithing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/DSC02945.jpg

http://apexgunsmithing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/DSC02946-768x431.jpg

Edited by EngineerEli
Still struggling with image posting in the new forum...

Update! I ended up giving the double sided EAA safety a try that Kneelingatlas offered up, it seemed to be the only one who's measurements checked out. Ended up fitting perfectly. I though I may have had to fit the sear spring leg retaining slot in the safety shaft, but it seemed to fit just right. I of course had to stone the sear safety lobe a little but that is expected. I'll try to post some photos when I get a chance.

IMG_20200607_202009.jpg.9da39946dbeb68cc

@kneelingatlas Thanks for helping me out with this safety!

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm not entirely sure what the PN is, the only marking on the package is on the price tag, from whoever originally sold it... Maybe 40.5984 is the PN?

Promised pics of it installed:

c20200721_202934.thumb.jpg.fa264828110fa565d98f2e5ea53149da.jpgc20200721_202949.thumb.jpg.addc744073a3dbb96216bfe3e8b134dc.jpgc20200721_203016.thumb.jpg.c7fa91bc0983c7da87436668b7a33fca.jpg

c20200721_203033.thumb.jpg.76f390887738bbdecdd238a5bfe82c72.jpg

I ended up getting some fresher grips, and switching back to the origonal safety for the time being, I think this gun may turn more into a collectable than anything else...

c20210213_232223.thumb.jpg.6223110798723810d806c721fdd4bd02.jpg

Edited by EngineerEli

• 5 months later...

Hello folks, 

New Jericho surplus owner here. I wanted ask, and check with you guys. The barrel I received with my 941F, is almost completely smooth. There are rifling marks, but light.  Anyone else come across this? And what is the purpose? Thanks in advance.  

1 hour ago, Prob_solid said:

Hello folks, 

New Jericho surplus owner here. I wanted ask, and check with you guys. The barrel I received with my 941F, is almost completely smooth. There are rifling marks, but light.  Anyone else come across this? And what is the purpose? Thanks in advance.  

I believe Jericho’s have polygonal rifling… not the conventional rifling with lands and grooves. Barrels with polygonal rifling are believed to get less fouling and have longer life.