Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Oktober: Cold War Action Rifle Match (Rio Salado, Mesa, AZ)

On October 3rd, 2020 - the 30th anniversary of the fall of the German Democratic Republic - Rio Salado's Multigun team will be hosting the inaugural "Red Oktober: Cold War" action rifle match.

Although the format is new, you can look forward to the same successful formula we have brought you in our more established major matches - SMM3G and AZ PCC Championship - but with stages designed specifically for the weapons of the Cold Warrior.

There will be 7 challenging run-n-gun rifle-only stages with targets ranging from 1 meter to 300 meters, plus a vendor demo area. Competitors will shoot the whole match in one day. Ammo count is expected to be around 250 rounds, and bimetal ammo WILL be allowed. Prize bags will be distributed by random draw and trophies will be awarded according to division participation, plus there will be a "High Cold Warrior" award for the top iron sight shooter.

The match will be run under IMA-ROCW rules (Time-Plus with Points). Equipment divisions will be as follows:

• ComBloc Irons: Any semi-auto rifle derived from a Cold War-era Warsaw Pact/Eastern Bloc weapon. Iron sights only (no optics of any kind). Magazines limited to 30-rounds loaded.
  • Free World Irons: Any semi-auto rifle derived from a Cold War-era NATO/Western Bloc weapon. Iron sights only (no optics of any kind). Magazines limited to 30-rounds loaded.
  • Battle Rifle Irons: Any semi-auto rifle derived from a Cold War-era battle rifle. Battle rifle calibers only only. Iron sights only (no optics of any kind). Magazines limited to 20 rounds loaded.
  • ComBloc Open: Any semi-auto rifle derived from a Warsaw Pact/Eastern Bloc weapon. No other restrictions. If you want to use optics, this is the division for you.

Registration opens July 15th at 6pm: REGISTRATION LINK. The match fee is $125, payable at time of registration. After registering and paying, competitors will be able to squad immediately on a first-come-first-served basis. Limited slots will be available to shoot with the staff on Friday October 2nd.

Questions? Post 'em here :)

Edited by StealthyBlagga

We've had a few folks ask if they can remove the optic from their flat-top AR15 rifle and add bolt-on or aftermarket iron sights. The answer is YES, but iron sights must be "battle-worthy". This means a protected post front sight, an aperture or notch rear sight, and a sight radius that does not exceed that of the original design. Only one set of sights on top of the rifle is allowed (no secondary offset irons). Specialized target sights (e.g. Globe front sight, diopter rear sight, extended sight radius etc) are a no-go. To be honest, all long-range targets will be inside 300M and pretty large, so trying to game the equipment rules is unlikely to be worthwhile. If in doubt, post a photo of your rifle.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

UPDATE:

We are thrilled to announce that Lee Armory has stepped up HUGE as title sponsor for this event. Every competitor will have a chance of winning one of five excellent Lee Armory AK rifles from the random draw prize table. We expect this match will fill up in minutes, if not faster... if you want in, make sure you are online and logged in to your PractiScore account before the match opens tonight. If the match is full when you get to the registration page, we suggest you get on the wait list as we do typically have a few folks drop out as match day approaches.

Well that was quick - the match is full already. If anyone wants in but missed the boat, please go to the registration page above and join the wait list... there is a good chance we will be able to get at least some of you into the match.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, gasmitty said:

Is the M1 Garand too old to be considered for the Free World class?  Just thinking ahead to future opportunities.

The criteria for Free World Irons requires that the weapon design predate "...3rd October 1990" (refer to Rule 5.3.1 below).  I suggest that the M1 Garand satisfies this criteria.  It would also fit into the Battle Rifle division.

5.3  Free World Irons

5.3.1  Any semi-auto rifle derived from a weapon designed in a NATO or Western Bloc nation before 3rd October 1990.

Thank you for that!  I wasn't sure because NATO didn't appear until 1949 and "Western Bloc" wasn't a common definition before then, either.

I would shoot this or a similar match just as a hoot  - ol' graybeard moderately competent with a Garand.  I'd score myself on points and leave out time, because the ARs and M14/M1As would leave me in the dust on reloads.  But my grin at the end of the day would be as big as anybody else's!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 9:31 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

Well that was quick - the match is full already. If anyone wants in but missed the boat, please go to the registration page above and join the wait list... there is a good chance we will be able to get at least some of you into the match.

On practicscore it says that bimetal ammo is allowed - all of the 7.62x39 I have and can find seems to still attract a magnet - will this be an issue? It definitely doesn't damage targets like steel core ammo.  

22 minutes ago, farinx said:

On practicscore it says that bimetal ammo is allowed - all of the 7.62x39 I have and can find seems to still attract a magnet - will this be an issue? It definitely doesn't damage targets like steel core ammo.  

Indeed, bimetal ammo has a mild steel jacket that will attract a magnet, but you can use it under this match's unique rules. Just please do not bring ammo with a penetrator core.