Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack - Slide auto-close on slide-lock reload


Recommended Posts

Is there a way to consistently get the slide to auto-close/auto-forward when performing a slide-lock reload?

 

I couldn't find anything on this except that you can weld some material on the muzzle side of the slide stop so that it engages the slide when the mag is inserted. Surely there is an easier way to do this that someone has figured out...

 

What about just polishing/changing the angle on the rear of the slide stop where it engages the slide when locked back? Not sure if that would work, but seems like the right angle on the slide stop could easily release the slide (depending on the tension from the recoil spring).

Edited by gunnerBU
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I know of. I have found that if the mag (I run Wilsons) locks up well in the gun, that's what I'm looking for.

Just practice releasing the slide with your thumb after reloading. Your hand should be up there anyway.

The slide releasing on it's own sometimes happens on all my 1911's and my P320.  Don't know why.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is for competition, I'd much rather have a consistent and positive locking back on an empty mag (without auto-forward) than inconsistent lock back with auto-forward, which is what you'd get by adjusting the slide stop to slide engagement surfaces.

Each mag could engage the slide stop differently due to slight variations in followers and spring tension.

When I started shooting Single Stack, my slide would not reliably lock back and I lost MANY seconds pulling the trigger on an empty chamber, racking in a round and reengaging the target. That can be mitigated by *knowing* when you have run dry, but that's hard to keep track of 100% on the timer if you've had makeups or had to rack out a light strike, etc.

If you practice slide lock reloads in dry fire, you shouldn't lose much time. Personally, my slide lock reloads are only about 0.1s slower than non-slide lock reloads in dry fire and indistinguishable in live fire.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is for USPSA.

 

The gun always locks back when empty, so that's not the issue.  The slide on my gun (STI Trojan) sometimes closes on a reload and sometimes not. Auto close is a little faster. Hitting the slide release with my support thumb only takes a split second, so I'm not losing much time when the slide doesn't auto close. But every tenth adds up, especially in single stack. 

 

I am looking for a way to have the slide close more often than not.

Edited by gunnerBU
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a slide stop/followers setup for no lock is fairly common in USPSA.  Are you sure you even want it to lock at all?

Will you shoot IDPA also?

 

The problem with attempting to setup "auto forward" is that it will not be consistent.  Consistency will save you time, inconsistency will cost you time.

Routine is your friend.  Use your weak hand to release the slide.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand why limited guns don’t lock back, but I don’t think that makes sense for single stack. No idpa for me, at least with this gun.

 

Like I said, even if it’s not consistent I would rather it auto close more often than not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have filed the back of the slide stop and even a little on the notch on the slide before and gotten fairly consistent (I think pretty much 100%) auto slide forwarding.  But depending on mags the slide can drop when you drop the mag, so mag springs may be in order if that happens (if you angle the slide stop it will probably need to be pushed fully up by the mags in order to hold).  Take it slow filing and see if you can get the results you are looking for,  If it is a blued slide stop and you over do it a mig welder can build it back up, it it is stainless and you go too far a replacement is not too expensive.

 

Good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RJH said:

I have filed the back of the slide stop and even a little on the notch on the slide before and gotten fairly consistent (I think pretty much 100%) auto slide forwarding.  But depending on mags the slide can drop when you drop the mag, so mag springs may be in order if that happens (if you angle the slide stop it will probably need to be pushed fully up by the mags in order to hold).  Take it slow filing and see if you can get the results you are looking for,  If it is a blued slide stop and you over do it a mig welder can build it back up, it it is stainless and you go too far a replacement is not too expensive.

 

Good luck


 

That is exactly what I was looking for. I figured it was possible to find the right angle/combo, but didn’t want to waste my time if nobody ever got it working.

 

Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you will come to regret this decision.  Start with 8+1.  If you are going to slide lock, your stage planning needs work.  Reloading after 8 (or fewer) shots is quicker than going to slide lock, because the reload is anticipated.  There is no surprise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My stage planning is fine. I’m not shooting idpa. 
 

Slide lock reloads only happen when I have to take a make up shot which sometimes results in a standing reload at the next array/position if they are close.

 

I do need to count shots (or makeups) when shooting, but I haven’t been shooting single stack long enough to do it subconsciously. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, zzt said:

I think you will come to regret this decision.  Start with 8+1.  If you are going to slide lock, your stage planning needs work.  Reloading after 8 (or fewer) shots is quicker than going to slide lock, because the reload is anticipated.  There is no surprise.

 

There are times when it can't be avoided and times when it makes sense to do it on purpose. Same with production. I'd often shoot 11 round plans if it made sense.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waktasz said:

 

There are times when it can't be avoided and times when it makes sense to do it on purpose. Same with production. I'd often shoot 11 round plans if it made sense.

 


I agree. I’m mainly trying to do this for the unintentional slide-lock. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...