Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to CZ?

Flea

3 hours ago, Posvar said:

Excellent choice!

Thanks! After shooting 2011s for a long time before the gun flip flop/change of sponsors period… I think the a01 is incredible, as fast and ergonomic as a 2011 while being more versatile as a competition gun (easy swap from production to CO to tacops to open 3gun)… just wish czc made a A01 9 MAJ open USPSA blaster!

4 hours ago, dkamps said:

Thanks! After shooting 2011s for a long time before the gun flip flop/change of sponsors period… I think the a01 is incredible, as fast and ergonomic as a 2011 while being more versatile as a competition gun (easy swap from production to CO to tacops to open 3gun)… just wish czc made a A01 9 MAJ open USPSA blaster!

Agreed! I have been asking Stuart about that for a awhile. It will be done some day. They have a threaded barrel for the A01 but it’s a bushing barrel. We just need a Bull barrel and a comp! I already have the 170mm mags that run flawlessly. 

19 hours ago, Posvar said:

Agreed! I have been asking Stuart about that for a awhile. It will be done some day. They have a threaded barrel for the A01 but it’s a bushing barrel. We just need a Bull barrel and a comp! I already have the 170mm mags that run flawlessly. 

interested in these 170s… could use 2 or so for multigun open with the a01! With minor loads this thing RTZ’s with the best of them. I don’t feel too disadvantaged from full open blasters in 3 gun. Have to load pretty short but 125gr round nose Blues over 3.8gr sport pistol at 1.105 has been my favorite combo so far. Little more recoil and slide speed than 147s but it tracks back on target perfectly. I have a F4E S2 that’s a backup gun, might need to turn it into another a01

4 hours ago, dkamps said:

interested in these 170s… could use 2 or so for multigun open with the a01! With minor loads this thing RTZ’s with the best of them. I don’t feel too disadvantaged from full open blasters in 3 gun. Have to load pretty short but 125gr round nose Blues over 3.8gr sport pistol at 1.105 has been my favorite combo so far. Little more recoil and slide speed than 147s but it tracks back on target perfectly. I have a F4E S2 that’s a backup gun, might need to turn it into another a01

I’ll shoot you a PM with the magazine info, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a super competitor like many of you folks here. I lurk a lot more than I post, and you guys are a great source of information!

I recently picked up an SP-01 Tactical, and gave it a spring job with MCarbo springs. For a base gun to start out with, the factory SP-01 was awesome. With the spring kit, it's fantastic. Single action has no creep and a light, crisp break, which was the most noticeable improvement. No malfunctions or other problems after doing it, either.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a TSO, but it's just not in my budget. The SP-01 has proven to be a great pistol so far, and even better with a spring kit.

Hmm, I like my SP01 Shadow, so been thinking to move to a Shadow 2 for Carey optics.  But does anyone have an opinion if it is better to buy the Shadow 2 optic ready vs Shadow 2 and getting it milled?

I see a bunch of benefits to milling, probably a tiny bit lower, may be a little more solid without having the screws move out since it is direct fit.

the optic ready version is about $200 more than stock Shadow 2, so may be we’re talking about $125-150 difference (if you can find a plate).  So after all this blabbing, guess asking if anyone actually made the decision and has practical feedback.

On 7/31/2022 at 11:19 AM, Tabasco said:

Hmm, I like my SP01 Shadow, so been thinking to move to a Shadow 2 for Carey optics.  But does anyone have an opinion if it is better to buy the Shadow 2 optic ready vs Shadow 2 and getting it milled?

I see a bunch of benefits to milling, probably a tiny bit lower, may be a little more solid without having the screws move out since it is direct fit.

the optic ready version is about $200 more than stock Shadow 2, so may be we’re talking about $125-150 difference (if you can find a plate).  So after all this blabbing, guess asking if anyone actually made the decision and has practical feedback.

i have a S2OR and have no concerns about the mounting system, it works well. The optic is nice and low mounted too.

Edited by goshimu

On 7/30/2022 at 9:49 PM, Tabasco said:

I bought a S2 OR about 2 months ago.  Have been shooting two different Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS pistols for the past 5 years in USPSA, so I'm familiar with the plate systems and have no issues using it as long as you use proper mounting hardware and techniques (Google research will pay big dividends).  A lot of folks make a big deal about direct milling, but it's overblown in my opinion and can screw you in the long run.  The plate system has one big advantage by providing long term flexibility to simply change the plate when you want to switch to optics with a different footprint, and it is likely you might want to change if you keep your pistol for a few years and your opinions and technology changes.  Got my adapter plate for the S2 from https://www.cz-parts.com/cz-shadow-2-accessories?page=1&at=16384 and their prices are pretty good even with the shipping cost.  I received my plate in like 2 business days, quicker then service from a lot of companies right here in the US!

I've had a few range trips for training with my S2 and after several mods to get it tweaked to my liking it's starting to shine and I plan to shoot my first match with it this weekend.  Bottom line is I recommend the plate system without any reservations!

Edited by ShredderTactical

6 hours ago, ShredderTactical said:

I bought a S2 OR about 2 months ago.  Have been shooting two different Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS pistols for the past 5 years in USPSA, so I'm familiar with the plate systems and have no issues using it as long as you use proper mounting hardware and techniques (Google research will pay big dividends).  A lot of folks make a big deal about direct milling, but it's overblown in my opinion and can screw you in the long run.  The plate system has one big advantage by providing long term flexibility to simply change the plate when you want to switch to optics with a different footprint, and it is likely you might want to change if you keep your pistol for a few years and your opinions and technology changes.  Got my adapter plate for the S2 from https://www.cz-parts.com/cz-shadow-2-accessories?page=1&at=16384 and their prices are pretty good even with the shipping cost.  I received my plate in like 2 business days, quicker then service from a lot of companies right here in the US!

I've had a few range trips for training with my S2 and after several mods to get it tweaked to my liking it's starting to shine and I plan to shoot my first match with it this weekend.  Bottom line is I recommend the plate system without any reservations!

Thanks for the response!  It is very helpful and good feedback.

• 4 months later...

the S2 DA trigger is so smooth you'll barely even notice it with a little practice. I would get the S2 optic ready if you can get one or send a shadow 2 off to get milled (CZ Custom) the triggers and recoil impulse on the striker fired guns kind of suck (more practice to get proficient) I'd say you're on the right track