Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to CZ?

Flea

I've only been shooting since Nov 2019 and have a WC CQB Elite 4.25". I did one USPSA match in SS and think I'm going to go down the USPSA Carry Optics rabbit hole.

I'm 58 and think I want to do down the red dot rabbit hole too because I'm tired of seeing two targets all the time (this isn't meant to be a post about shooting and vision issues). Thus I'm leaning towards selling the WC to fund a CZ S2 optics ready gun (or should I consider the S2 Orange and get it milled?). However, I'm not a big fan of DA/SA guns (I have a Sig 226) and I love my 1911 trigger.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I'd assume, in a competition only setting, shooters would always prefer a SA trigger. If that statement is generally correct, why do so many people compete or move into carry optics and use a CZ? It seems from the yearly stats, shooters are willing to deal with a DA/SA CZ over say a striker X5 or G34 or Q4.

Sorry for the rambling but I'm looking to avoid mistakes or identify potential issues that others have already made or dealt with.

Short answer: weight, quality, single action trigger.    Locally I've seen several people jump ship from CZ to a X 5 legion.  I won't myself.  CZ firearms are quality products.  Over the last 5 years the amount of gun related malfunctions I've had during matches from a CZ I could easily count on 1 hand.  A tuned CZ single action trigger is awesome, just short of a tuned 1911 imho. 

The g34 is light weight.  Weight absorbs recoil, makes it easier to shoot.

The steel q 4 just feels horrible, not balanced at all.

I haven't dealt with the x5 legion myself.  They are very popular.  But they are striker guns.  A striker gun trigger can never be tuned as well as a hammer gun. 

The Da/sa guns do take adjustment.  Once you get it down, it's not a big deal, but until that point it does take some getting used. to.

1 minute ago, jripper said:

Short answer: weight, quality, single action trigger.    Locally I've seen several people jump ship from CZ to a X 5 legion.  I won't myself.  CZ firearms are quality products.  Over the last 5 years the amount of gun related malfunctions I've had during matches from a CZ I could easily count on 1 hand.  A tuned CZ single action trigger is awesome, just short of a tuned 1911 imho. 

The g34 is light weight.  Weight absorbs recoil, makes it easier to shoot.

The steel q 4 just feels horrible, not balanced at all.

I haven't dealt with the x5 legion myself.  They are very popular.  But they are striker guns.  A striker gun trigger can never be tuned as well as a hammer gun. 

The Da/sa guns do take adjustment.  Once you get it down, it's not a big deal, but until that point it does take some getting used. to.

But if I want to shoot in CO, I can't use a SA gun.

14 minutes ago, Flea said:

No, in CO you can't use a SA *only* gun, and you can't start with the hammer cocked.  CZ works just fine, which is why so many folks use them in Prod and CO. 

19 minutes ago, Flea said:

Basically look at the production gun list and choose a model you like and then mount a CO.

If you don't want a SA, get a Glock or maybe a SIg x5 Legion, however I'd personally get the CZ.

The S2 out of the box is a fantastic competition gun and after a bit of dry fire and practice the first shot, DA, becomes a no brainer, you won't even notice it.

3 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Basically look at the production gun list and choose a model you like and then mount a CO.

If you don't want a SA, get a Glock or maybe a SIg x5 Legion, however I'd personally get the CZ.

The S2 out of the box is a fantastic competition gun and after a bit of dry fire and practice the first shot, DA, becomes a no brainer, you won't even notice it.

That's what I'm thinking for the CZ. What is the out of the box DA weight? What do guys normally tune it to?

That's what I'm thinking for the CZ. What is the out of the box DA weight? What do guys normally tune it to?

I’m normally run 2011’s in limited. So I’m used to a really good SA trigger

I wouldn’t tune it to hit a number. Tune it for reliability. I run a 11.5 lb hammer spring. The double action is a non issue and the single action is really nice on a tuned shadow.

Have you checked out an A01? This is the one I’m setting up to shoot factory gun nationals.

a69cdd2315982b316600c40d424a6cb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Flea said:

One doesn't tune for just DA or SA it's a combined deal.

However you should be able to get around 6.5 DA with a near 2 lb SA. With that said tune for smoothness and ammo reliability. The lighter the DA the more likely you have to load Federal or Winchester primers and will not be able to shoot factory ammo.

7 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

One doesn't tune for just DA or SA it's a combined deal.

However you should be able to get around 6.5 DA with a near 2 lb SA. With that said tune for smoothness and ammo reliability. The lighter the DA the more likely you have to load Federal or Winchester primers and will not be able to shoot factory ammo.

Interesting....I'm not going to reload so I guess my options are slimmer.

I have added a 12lb CZC hammer spring, extended firing pin, and reduced power firing pin spring in multiple Shadow 2s.

The result is a 5.75 to 6.5lb DA and a 2.75 to 3lb SA and 100% reliabilty with any primer.

Thats all the "tuning" a Shadow 2 "needs" IMO.

You can polish and fit different parts and get even lighter with less pre-travel and a shorter reset if you want but man, talk about diminishing returns.

Think of the old browning high power as the grand parent of your cz with the tilting barrel and swinging trigger mechanism. You're also already used to a metal framed gun and the type of reset from your 1911 vs how a striker fired gun resets. Basically I'm saying the leap to the cz is less than you're anticipating. 

Finally, and I could be wayyyy off base here but you could keep your CQB, mount a dovetail mount and run a dot in idpa carry optics. You wouldn't be shooting uspsa but you also wouldn't be changing guns.

I would get the shadow 2 OR version vs milling an orange.

A lot of people started shooting X5 in CO because 1) Weight limit, and  2) Easy Optic Ready. Since the weight limit in CO is essentially gone and CZ and Tanfo both have CO ready guns available, we are going to see a s#!t toward metal framed guns in CO real quick

13 hours ago, cheby said:

A lot of people started shooting X5 in CO because 1) Weight limit, and  2) Easy Optic Ready. Since the weight limit in CO is essentially gone and CZ and Tanfo both have CO ready guns available, we are going to see a s#!t toward metal framed guns in CO real quick

I love my CZs, but the X5 legion is nice.  I think it weighs more than my shadow.  

Between the Shadow and the X5 Legion, if we're talking specifically about USPSA Carry Optics, I would unquestionably go with the Shadow. If you want to use the same pistol platform for USPSA and other more "outlaw" disciplines (3 gun, multigun, run and gun, etc) then I would lean towards the X5.  I think the Shadow is the superior platform, but the Legion is pretty pretty close and the modularity/ease of swapping parts out makes life a little easier. But the SA pull on a tuned Shadow is just unbeatable.

• 2 weeks later...

I started shooting Wilson/Baer/STI 1911s and thought the triggers were awesome.  I shot them well and enjoyed a heavier gun.

Then I went to a CZ TSO which also has an awesome trigger and is heavier than the 1911s. I found that even easier to shoot than the 1911.  

That said, I’m selling everything off and going solely to Glock.....most likely a G19 in carry optics.  I’m never going to win a match, nor is that my goal.   I do not (and will not) put in the time it takes to climb to the top of a local match.  I do think ( if my technique/grip is correct) the Glock will be VERY similar to those other guns with me as the driver.  I really don’t believe the weight/trigger/sights has a huge impact on speed or accuracy for any given shooter.  You have to adapt to the pistol you shoot.

You will shoot every gun to your skill level.  More practice, better results.  Less practice, even an infinity won’t help.

I came from a Glock to a CZ and the DA on first shot isn't that big of a deal.  Once in a while I might find myself taking an easier target 1st off the draw, but most times I don't think of it.
And don't forget al those empty gun starts will be SA. :)

• 2 months later...

I started competing with a 226 legion and went to a shadow 2.   id gladly compete in production division with it again (I cut my shadows for optics).  and went optics with my CZ cause I started with them In production, so largely it was the investment in training, mags, spare parts, etc it was cheaper to keep the platform.  

in short, CZs (shadows) are good out of the box and better for gamer nerds who want to tweak.  the ergonomics are in my opinion, the best in the gun world for a mass produced pistol, they are incredibly quality, relatively easy to fix / repair / tweak at home - its literally everything you want for a sexy gun that can take the punishment, that you can maintain under heavy punishment.  If not - buy a Glock, and it will just run.  minus the "being sexy" part. 

Id a sig 226 legion is a Ford Mustang a CZ shadow 2 is a new 2020 C8 corvette for the gun games.  shadow 2 just outclasses the 226 for action pistol.  not to say the 226 hands well, is probably as or more accurate, is more reliable, and can race.  its just clunkier, good but not as good Argos, and less aftermarket for competition centric products (grips, mag releases, base pads, etc etc etc).  Tho my Legion is an incredible trigger, a lot of 226 triggers are kinda meh in a competition setting and there's not a lot of home brew parts to fix that.  that's why I bought the legion.  

To your point- Sig X5 legion is an incredible value.  to go CO easy, dollar for value, you really can't beat an X5 and its popularity shows.  CZs are just so popular because there's a strong fanboy crowd like me.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been shooting Glocks forever.  Done just about every modification to make my G17 Gen 4 MOS (got 2, both setup exactly the same) run fast and reliable for USPSA CO.  It's been a good run with them for about 6 years.

Been pondering making some changes to my Glocks, like serious grip mods and adding weight.  Then I got to play with a CZ Shadow 2 milled for CO after a match yesterday.  Wow...the fit in my hand was truly amazing and the balance, look, and overall feel was really incredible.  I'm now thinking of picking up a Shadow 2 OR to run in CO as my new primary gun as it really leaves my beloved Glocks in the dust!

Edited by ShredderTactical

On 5/29/2022 at 7:22 PM, ShredderTactical said:

I've been shooting Glocks forever.  Done just about every modification to make my G17 Gen 4 MOS (got 2, both setup exactly the same) run fast and reliable for USPSA CO.  It's been a good run with them for about 6 years.

Been pondering making some changes to my Glocks, like serious grip mods and adding weight.  Then I got to play with a CZ Shadow 2 milled for CO after a match yesterday.  Wow...the fit in my hand was truly amazing and the balance, look, and overall feel was really incredible.  I'm now thinking of picking up a Shadow 2 OR to run in CO as my new primary gun as it really leaves my beloved Glocks in the dust!

Once you get off plastic, you never go back.

• 2 weeks later...