Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shot splits from low ready

jrdoran

We've been using the new AMG timers and via practiscore competitor can analyze splits.   Curious what represents a good first shot from a low ready and I guess also from a draw for most M or GM level shooters ? 

It is going to vary somewhat by stage as difficulty of first target changes ( smoke / hope vs pendulum )  but for the fast stages, I see 0.65-0.75  first shot  ( RFRO / PCCO ) ; 

What about everyone else ?   

My RFRO and PCCO first shots are generally in the .5 second range.  If I am on I might dip into the .48 range. Some stages are a tad slower. Speed Option is one of those slower ones for me. 

+1 on Speed Option being a tough stage.  My personal worst.    

@apoc4lypse  Those are great first shots on draw.   

My S&H  from last night during a match via AMG timer / practiscore competitor.  My pucker factor went way up after string 4 was a dumpster fire.

297513871_Screenshot2020-07-10at11_03_34AM.thumb.jpeg.4431f0586889a1b41662a12d76299d06.jpeg

Edited by jrdoran

I'm no where near M or GM.  For anything I have to point at the flag, I'm .68 to .72 seconds for the first shot.  For the draw, I'm 1.25-1.35 on a good day, 1.5 or worse on a bad.

7 hours ago, zzt said:

I'm no where near M or GM.  For anything I have to point at the flag, I'm .68 to .72 seconds for the first shot.  For the draw, I'm 1.25-1.35 on a good day, 1.5 or worse on a bad.

I'm about the same first shot time, but M in 2 rimfire and one centerfire division. Would have made GM in rfpi if the peak times hadn't gone down again.  :(

I need to work on the reaction to the beep. Not much I can do about my long arms tho, the gun just has to travel further. mrs moto is consistently .2 faster than to the first shot.... of course she's 17 years younger too, that's probably it..... I routinely check her first shot times when I'm running her, and she's typically in the .48-.55 range for rfpo, rfro, and pcco (GM in all 3 divisions).

Edited by motosapiens

• 2 weeks later...

From a low ready, on smoke and hope I typically run .45 and if I am 'on' that day I can drop that into the .3's occasionally.  That is pretty much the limit of human function for me.  For Roundabout I'm in the .5s (far left plate first) and the rest of the stages I pretty much run a .6ish in general.  My centerfire stuff... well, I haven't shot much of it in a long time but in general for me, add .5-.8 seconds.

On 7/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, motosapiens said:

I'm about the same first shot time, but M in 2 rimfire and one centerfire division. Would have made GM in rfpi if the peak times hadn't gone down again.  :(

I have nothing else to add to this thread except I picked up my rfpi gun last week for the first time in a couple months, and improved my time slightly on 6 of the 8 stages, and finally made GM a week before my 59th birthday. :)

So I'm not sure a .7 first shot is really hurting you that much yet. I ran the timer for 2 GM's last night and was watching their first shot splits from low-ready. Mrs moto was consistently around .5, the other dude was more like .6 or .65, but still putting up 100% times. Low hanging fruit for both of them is discipline and consistency, not raw speed.

I've been trying to push myself lately, but if the RO doesn't keep a consistent cadence, I end up with a false start or creeping as I am anticipating essentially when the beep is about to go off.  

On 7/30/2020 at 10:51 PM, jrdoran said:

I've been trying to push myself lately, but if the RO doesn't keep a consistent cadence, I end up with a false start or creeping as I am anticipating essentially when the beep is about to go off.  

try not to anticipate. Rather clear your mind and think about nothing but waiting to react to the “B” in beep when the timer goes off.  —Steve Foster advice. Works very well.