Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open 38 Super Newbie

DVC-Open

Hey guys,

Need some advice on the following:

1. I have watched DVC disassembly/assembly from youtube I think it was from Atlas Gunworks, are all internals the same for all DVC pistols? I cant find a take down video for Open, is the take down video for Limited the same? For both the bottom and slide take down? Could you please share a youtube video that shows DVC Open take down?

2. The pistol runs very well at the moment on 38 super, should I still consider putting aftec extractor because I am aiming at running both Super and SC? Is it true that with aftec I can run both without having 2 sets of extractor?

3. Please share your cleaning routine, cleaning solvents lube etc.. I am using a plated 125gr projectile, first time to clean a compensator and I have no idea where to start and what to use.

5. What are the spare parts worth investing? Should I buy spare parts or just buy another DVC Open as backup? What is your experience with your DVC Open?

Thanks in advance. Cheers

1. Almost all 2011 pistols break down exactly the same way. In fact I cant even think of a 2011 that breaks down differently, but im sure there's a few

2.you need to find put what your extractor is currently tuned for. My guess is that you should have no issues running super,sc,rl,or auto. You might run into an issue if you ran to.

3.stick upper (pins,barrel,comp,slide) in ultrasonic cleaner for 16 mins then just take it out and put some pil on it and put it back together. I do this once every 3 or 4 matches. I just take a light brush and brush the lower rails and reoil them. I almost never clean the actual lower

4.you should always buy more open guns. But you may want an extra recoil spring and shock buff if your using them. Some people carry an extra extractor for major matches...but ive never had any issues with mine. An extra firing pin may be useful. Squib rod and a set of Allen wrenches or what ever you need to break the gun down

2 hours ago, DVC-Open said:

5. What are the spare parts worth investing? Should I buy spare parts or just buy another DVC Open as backup? What is your experience with your DVC Open?

Thanks in advance. Cheers

I strongly support a backup gun that is set up as similar as possible (if not identical) to your main gun... I would also buy another optic for when yours fails (it will).  

#Optics = #guns + 1

I'll address your question #2. Pick either Super or Supercomp brass and go with one. You will need a .223 shellplate to load Supercomp and Super brass won't fit. If you use a Super shellplate it is not unusual to have Supercomp brass pull out of the sizing station. Extraxtors are different if you use Aftec. If you use a standard extractor you may or may not be able to run both kinds of brass. I have one gun that will run either and one set up for Super that will not feed Supercomp 100%.

My opinion is if your gun runs reliably with all your mags using Super then keep it simple and don't change.

As someone who ran a DVC-open for a couple of years, here is what I can tell you. 

1. Take down would be the same as any 2011. There are tons of videos on YT.

2. I had issues out of the box running 38 supercomp. Bought an Aftec in 38SC and that fixed the issue. I also realized after this that the gun was tuned for 38 super. So my mistake there. 

3. Standard gun cleaning after every 1000-1500 rounds. Also gives me a chance to check for any other issues that may be happening before something breaks. I run 124 JHP's and they seem to keep things cleaner

4. I had spare springs, batteries, extractor in my bag. For me unless I'm at a major match anything that takes longer than a quick trip to the safe table to fix is not worth keeping a whole shop in your bag. If you are shooting a lot of majors or doing heavy travel then yes a backup is a must. 

After 2 years I went and bought an Atlas Open gun and have never looked back. Not a single issue with it and even wound up selling the DVC Open. A lot of it depends on what you feed it. Think of it like this. If you had a high performance race car would you fill it with cheap gas all the time?

Hope this helps. 

Follow up question, is STI's lifetime warranty valid for all STI DVC lines regardless if brand new or second hand? planning to get a second hand DVC Open as a backup. Is this warranty valid for all owners anywhere in the world? I live in Melbourne Australia. What are your experiences with warranty claim for those who live outside U.S.? Did they cover the shipping cost?  I read some horror stories about the slide and comp breaking at some point, so I am prepared for this inevitable cost of owning a DVC Open.

with regards to using strong solvents in cleaning the bore and the compensator, is there any particular brand or chemical i need to be aware of not using that may damage the Tin coating? Such as Sweets Solvent which is really a very strong one...  ( https://www.gunworld.com.au/sweets-solvent-7.62-200-ml~3595 )

I have a micro dremel tool that is just sitting in the garage, what is the best way to use this to cleaning the bore and compensator? Should I even use it?  ( https://www.bunnings.com.au/dremel-stylo-multi-tool-engraver-with-15-accessories_p0078020 )

looking to buy additional magazine, what does "crimped" magazine mean? someone told me it is crimped to be like single stack magazine... what is your experience with it? My concern is more on feeding, as long as it feeds just like my other normal magazines then "crimped" is not an issue for me. I do not have access to MBX Mags here in Australia, the one I am looking to buy is a 2nd hand STI Mags in 126mm crimped to 10 rounds only, unsure if 1st or 2nd gen will find out tomorrow. Please advice. Thanks.