Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red or Green fiber optic front?

Stafford

I have only used a red fiber optic on three of my pistols, and they seem good to me. Never tried a green, though I’ve read/heard that some prefer green for certain conditions. Today, I noticed that my Shadow 2’s front sight was about to fall out and needed to be replaced. I’ve got both green and red strips that I can use as a replacement. 

I’ll be shooting outside this weekend in what looks to be mostly sunny conditions. I have astigmatism and wear corrective lenses. I wear 1.0 readers while shooting to give clarity to my front sight. Stick with red or give the green a try?

Chris, have you ever noticed that thing in the upper-right hand corner of the page that says, "Search"?

Keep it a secret, just between us, but it's an AMAZING tool that will divulge the answer to sooo many questions, that have been asked sooo many times. 

Try it...

There's no possible way to tell you what your eyes will like best.

You have to try these things for yourself.

A better idea would be for you to spend an afternoon on the range with both rod colors on your sight and then you give the forum your impressions.

In fact, every time the thought "I've read/heard that some prefer......." comes to you, make that the focus of your next practice session.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I prefer green in the front.  It appears, to me, to stand out better on the grass berms - it's brighter green - than the red.

About 8 years ago I purchased an STI Trojan in 45 and installed a Dawson FO front, it came with a red insert. I been waiting for the bugger to break so that I can install a green insert.  Still holding strong and still a bright red.  DAMN!

I  prefer red,  everywhere I have been but Hawaii where everything is red. 
Friend of mine actually did a research project on this.  IIRC , seems the human eye is physically capable of seeing green the best. However the human brain is mentally programmed to filter out green. As nothing green wants to eat us, and not much green is worth eating.  
Maybe the Amber may be the way to go,,  I mean tigers are amber.

47 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

I  prefer red,  everywhere I have been but Hawaii where everything is red. 
Friend of mine actually did a research project on this.  IIRC , seems the human eye is physically capable of seeing green the best. However the human brain is mentally programmed to filter out green. As nothing green wants to eat us, and not much green is worth eating.  
Maybe the Amber may be the way to go,,  I mean tigers are amber.

Lol ok 

I've tried both.  My eyes pick up red much better against all backgrounds.

@Stafford the fact that there's no consensus about color in this thread is a good indicator that this is something everyone has to work out for themselves without regard for what others prefer or why.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

Some folks have said that it may not be a matter of red or green being easier to pick up, but after a while you get used to the first color so switching forces your brain to pay more attention for a while. 

so it might be one of those things where you switch back and forth every now and then to keep your brain on its toes!

You eyes are more sensitive to green than red.  I switched to green because it was brighter, easier to pick up and for some strange reason allowed me to focus on the target, not the dot.

9 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

In theory.  In reality, that level of sensitivity varies between people to the point that some pick up red far faster than green.

In actuality.  That does not mean that all people pick up green better.  It is an individual preference.  For example, I prefer green FO sights, but red dots on reflex sights.  The green glows brighter and is easy to see.  The red dot is duller and less distracting.

My $0.02 - I prefer red over green.    My eyes find it more easily on most All  backgrounds.  

I also shoot a lot on a range with dirt brims and green plant matter / ground cover is in the background a reasonable amount of time.    The green washed out against the background when transitioning between targets.   I also had green fiber on my shotgun and had issues with it washing out against green backgrounds when hunting and on a forested sporting clays course.   

I put the green in on Friday and it really popped outside in the sunlight. Indoors, I don't know if there was much difference. Shot a match on Saturday and noticed it was very bright in the safe area. Then, when the timer went off, I never through about it again or noticed it. At the end, I went to the safe area and thought, wow, this green is really bright and wondered if it helped during the match. I'll shoot an indoor match on Thursday and see what I think about it in darker conditions.

All depends upon the backgrounds at the venues you shoot and your perception.  Green seems much brighter in overcast/low light, but red is high contrast to many backgrounds in good light.  If you have many cloudy overcast days use a green fiber.  

Try both and decide.

I prefer green since I'm red/green color blind.  I was afraid the red sight would mix with the green berm or grass and nada.  I've never used red, except for the dot on my C-mores which I pick up fine.