Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soft Primers?

mcmmotorsports

Depends what hammer spring is in the gun.

The double action stroke in the Production/CO shadows is what winds up making the gun addicted to soft primers.

(In single action CZ and Tanfo triggers show only a slight difference in pull weight from a heavier hammer spring. With a double-action a pound of hammer spring weight can make a huge difference in pull.)

I’d be shocked if the TSO didn’t run just fine on Winchesters, and perhaps even CCIs, if it’s internally unmodified. 

The most important change to make when leaving the striker-fired or 1911 world is to understand that a flush primer is still a few thousandths high. That’s not fully seated. In most brands of 9mm brass, for example, a CCI small pistol can be driven at least .004”-.005” below flush before it’s actually bottomed out in the pocket.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

We just had to shoot a run of Winchester primer 9mm in a lightened action 929 revo.  And surprisingly had only 2 light strikes in over 600 round training session on the one gun.  The ammo had properly seated primers.  Thought only federal would run as its a very light action.

2 hours ago, mcmmotorsports said:

Hello everyone. Just took delivery of my first CZ today, a 2016 TSO in .40. Excited to shoot it this weekend. I heard that they prefer softer primers. Is this true? For those that reload, what is your primer of choice? TIA

Come on man. I already told you what primers I use. That's all you need to know. :)

2 hours ago, mcmmotorsports said:

Hello everyone. Just took delivery of my first CZ today, a 2016 TSO in .40. Excited to shoot it this weekend. I heard that they prefer softer primers. Is this true? For those that reload, what is your primer of choice? TIA

It’s not true in my experience. I have a TSO which has the stock main spring and a pull weight of 1# 3.2 oz. it lights of every single primer I used like CCI, Winchester, federal and Remington. I reload with these primer and have yet to have a light strike.

• 2 months later...

no.  a stock TSO has a heavy as hell stock spring.  unessesarily, silly heavy spring like 16-18 pounds or more.  the SA pull is still good, and even tuning it down quite a bit, it sorta kinda doesn't reduce pull weight.  perhaps half ounce per pound, which is hard to perceive without making multiple pound jumps.  lighter hammer springs are mostly going to help a DA pull, not an SA.  that being said, I run about a 15 pound hammer spring 100% reliably.   I was down to 11.5 in my shadows, so 15 still seems hard for me.  

reasons I went lower - the stock hammer hits with such hard force my hammer actually was being worn / indented by the firing pin.  not sure if that matters, but how friggin hard does a hammer need to hit that steel is being indented? christ!  THAT - and it changes the feel if your slide / recoil.  a hammer that heavy impart force against the slide and kinda changes the recoil impulse / timing of the gun.  its the first bit of resistance moving backwards.  also, im just a snob and like a super light and silly slide rack... and its easier to do with a lighter hammer spring.  

but to answer your question - I seriously doubt a TSO in stock configuration would ever have light primer issues or any primer issues unless its been modded with a silly light hammer spring.  As I stated above, this makes little sense as it won't improve your trigger that drastically and will cause unreliability - so why do it on a SAO gun? 

On 7/8/2020 at 10:19 PM, George16 said:

It’s not true in my experience. I have a TSO which has the stock main spring and a pull weight of 1# 3.2 oz. it lights of every single primer I used like CCI, Winchester, federal and Remington. I reload with these primer and have yet to have a light strike.

I agree. I had the first TSO in my area, and after letting friends shoot mine, there are now 7 in the area, all are factory, some in 40, some in 9. None of them have ever had an issue lighting off any primer, and we have used Winchester, Federal, S&B, CCI, and Wolf. 

• 3 months later...