Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV powders for 9mm and various bullet weights

ozzyj

Hi all - I have a couple pounds each of N320, N330 and N340.  So far I've only really messed with N320 with 147gr's to make soft shooting loads but wondering how those powers would best pair with 115, 124 and 147's across the board?

I had a hard time getting N320 to make decent velocity with 115gr (within my comfort zone).  At max loads I started seeing increased ES/SD.  Particularly with FMJ bullets.

For 124gr, 135gr, and 147gr, N320 is awesome.

Edited by rev1911

5 minutes ago, rev1911 said:

I had a hard time getting N320 to make decent velocity with 115gr (within my comfort zone).  At max loads I started seeing increased ES/SD.  Particularly with FMJ bullets.

For 124gr, 135gr, and 147gr, N320 is awesome.

Though I never load 115g ammo, IMO N330 would be more applicable to the lighter bullet weights............

🤔

17 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

As a LONG TIME user of N320, I've always found that VV provides a lot of info that helps us taylor a specific load to our intended purpose!

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=89

👍

Have you seen better performance in any sense (accuracy, ES/SD, etc) with a specific weight of bullet with N320?

6 hours ago, ozzyj said:

Have you seen better performance in any sense (accuracy, ES/SD, etc) with a specific weight of bullet with N320?

ozzyj:

When I started primarily shooting 9mm, and having to experiment with all the different weights of bullets, I always came back to the 147g for my standard loading.  I have dabbled in loading/testing the 135g Coated Lead, but again I've always gravitated back to the 147g weights.

IMHO, my experiences have found that using the right (burn rate) VV powder (N320, N330, N340) with your preferred bullet weight will produce the lowest ES/SD once you find what that particular pistol/barrel likes.

Here's a great example of how the VV line of powders can improve your bullet performance; start at 12:40:

https://youtu.be/w88kQT8JKaI?t=760

Finally, if I had a pistol/situation where the 124g/125g bullets were optimized, I would definitely take a hard look at the N330/N340 loadings!

18 hours ago, ozzyj said:

Good to know.  Any pet loadings/OAL's that work for you?

Hi Ozzyj,

I like to load at the lower level of the spectrum as I don't have to worry about the PF. 5.3 grain N340, a Hornady 115 XTP and a S&B SP primer is a very accurate load in my Shadow 2 at 25 -50 meters.