Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Funnel Hanging on Brass

I have a Dillon 650XL, and I’m having a problem that I cannot solve. As I bring the ram down from the dies, the powder funnel is “hanging” on the inside of the brass after the powder drop. Most times it’s a minor hang, but sometimes it requires extra force to pull the brass from the grasp of the powder funnel.

i cannot see any visual reason for the hang up on the brass casing. Everything seems to be aligned ok. There are no problems seating a primer or with any of the other dies. I can watch the powder funnel release from the brass as I bring the ram down.

I am reloading .40 S&W and I am not using case lube. I did try some lube and that helped some but did not solve the problem. 

Appreciate any ideas that could help solve this. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Santini said:

I have a Dillon 650XL, and I’m having a problem that I cannot solve. As I bring the ram down from the dies, the powder funnel is “hanging” on the inside of the brass after the powder drop. Most times it’s a minor hang, but sometimes it requires extra force to pull the brass from the grasp of the powder funnel.

i cannot see any visual reason for the hang up on the brass casing. Everything seems to be aligned ok. There are no problems seating a primer or with any of the other dies. I can watch the powder funnel release from the brass as I bring the ram down.

I am reloading .40 S&W and I am not using case lube. I did try some lube and that helped some but did not solve the problem. 

Appreciate any ideas that could help solve this. Thanks.

Searching this very common occurrence yields a lot of information:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Polish+the+Powder+Funnel+Expander&oq=Polish+the+Powder+Funnel+Expander&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

👍

12 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Yep this dead horse has been beaten repeatedly 

Edited by Sarge

Thanks guys for all the helpful posts. Glad to see that this is a common problem with known solutions.

So, this morning I removed the powder funnel. It was pretty rough with vertical grooves. I chucked it in the drill press and set it for 250 rpm’s. I used a 400 grit Emory cloth and sanded for about 3 minutes. I took the funnel out and inspected it, but it needed more sanding. The second session did the trick...pretty smooth. I then used some brass polish to shine it up.

After reinstalling on the 650XL, it ran smoothly with no hang ups. I imagine I will have to do this periodically.  By the way, I have reloaded about 6,000 rounds of .40 S&W so far. I’ve not encountered this with 9mm.

I was a rookie when I purchased the 650XL in 2015. My only help was the many YouTube videos and this forum, which I love. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by Santini

I just lube my 9mm brass with a couple squirts of OneShot, Dillon case lube, or whatever else I have lying on the bench, and then I dump it in the feeder. This reduces the problems pretty consistently, plus I've noticed case ejection seems to hang up less.

On 7/8/2020 at 12:28 AM, Santini said:

Thanks guys for all the helpful posts. Glad to see that this is a common problem with known solutions.

So, this morning I removed the powder funnel. It was pretty rough with vertical grooves. I chucked it in the drill press and set it for 250 rpm’s. I used a 400 grit Emory cloth and sanded for about 3 minutes. I took the funnel out and inspected it, but it needed more sanding. The second session did the trick...pretty smooth. I then used some brass polish to shine it up.

After reinstalling on the 650XL, it ran smoothly with no hang ups. I imagine I will have to do this periodically.  By the way, I have reloaded about 6,000 rounds of .40 S&W so far. I’ve not encountered this with 9mm.

I was a rookie when I purchased the 650XL in 2015. My only help was the many YouTube videos and this forum, which I love. Thanks again for the help.

I was experiencing this with my previous XL650 in 9mm, but didn't really notice it since the shell plate is much smaller (rigid) than the RL1100's.  I posted this in another thread, and right now it's still proving true; however, I still have a bit more testing to do.

Thought I'd chime in with some new findings concerning the MBF funnel............

Exchanging ideas with someone that FULLY understands the design principle of the MBF style funnel, I was informed that the reason our new/wet tumbled brass "stick" during extraction was due to surface friction. 

So, at his recommendation, he machined the upper step down to .357" and sent the funnel for me to try.  Using nothing but Hornady One Shot case lube along with a swipe of Imperial Wax on the MBF style funnel expander with Imperial Wax, I was able to load 100 rounds with little to no sticking whatsoever from start to finish. 

The Zero 147g JHPs are . 355" to .3555" while two different brands of coated lead I checked were averaging .356" to .3565 max.  With the .357" upper step on the funnel, there was no reason to use the stock funnel that averages .358" to .3585"!  I could easily seat either bullet style/size, by hand, after coming out of the expander funnel. 

Got some aftermarket fully processed brass I want to try also; but my "initial impression" with this slight modification has me thinking this definitely looks very promising and deserves more thorough testing.

💡

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

On 7/8/2020 at 12:28 AM, Santini said:

So, this morning I removed the powder funnel. It was pretty rough with vertical grooves. 

By the way, I have reloaded about 6,000 rounds of .40 S&W so far. I’ve not encountered this with 9mm.

If you're powder funnel is getting that beat up after only 6000 rounds, something's not right.