Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Length?

I'm looking at getting a new JP vertical comp and barrel. I can't decide on a 16" or a 14.5" pinned and welded. I mainly shoot USPSA and steel challenge with it. What would be the advantages and dis advantages to each size?

As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to go with a 14.5" either.  You do not need a comp to minimize dot bounce, so why not consider a 5.5" shrouded barrel.  Transitions in SCSA will be a lot faster, and there is no disadvantage for USPSA.

12 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Unless you want to spin the comp off and spin on a suppressor there's no reason to go with a 16" over a 14.5. 

I'm in Illinois so it's not even an option. 

4 minutes ago, zzt said:

As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to go with a 14.5" either.  You do not need a comp to minimize dot bounce, so why not consider a 5.5" shrouded barrel.  Transitions in SCSA will be a lot faster, and there is no disadvantage for USPSA.

This is why I was looking at them.

5 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I think JP make great stuff.  But that video seems to be 100% marketing hype. 

I've squadded with the guy in the center a few times since he put that comp on his PCC. While I haven't shot it it appears to vent gas upwards as aggressively as possible. If any comp actually works for 9mm it'll be a lot like this one. Agreed that they seem to be over hyping a lot of very minor products lately though.

7 hours ago, zzt said:

In my experience 5” barrels are less accurate than 14.5” ones.

But that’s only a single data point, so take it for what it’s worth.

35 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

You're talking big targets at less than 20 yards 99% of the time.  If I can hit a bowling pin at 100+ with a 5 inch gun, I'd say that's plenty accurate for what we're doing. 

9 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

You're talking big targets at less than 20 yards 99% of the time.  If I can hit a bowling pin at 100+ with a 5 inch gun, I'd say that's plenty accurate for what we're doing. 

... unless you’re trying to hit the head of a USPSA target at 15 yards, which seems fairly common at matches.

Different solutions for different problems.  Of course, if it’s Steel Challenge, that’s a whole different situation.

I used a Taccom 5.25" ULW barreled upper on one of my PCC's builds ... my first trip to the local range... this range requires shooting a RIFLE .. on the rifle portion of their range.. only target setups are at 100 yards.... i could cover a 5 shot group with the palm of my hand using a bench rest at 100 yards... ... surely this is accurate enough  to shoot USPSA ..

My point ????  .......   you don't need a 14.5" or a 16" barrel for USPSA ...

13 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Possibly.  However, my 5.5" barrel will put 115 JHPs in a 1" group at 25 yards, offhand.  Same with 147 JHPs.  Plated opens that up to about 2".  124 poly coated go from around 2" with Acme coated or Summers Enterprises coated to 14" with J-Ames 124 coated.  You just have to pick something your barrel likes.

Edited by zzt
2 hours ago, cecil said:

I used a Taccom 5.25" ULW barreled upper on one of my PCC's builds ... my first trip to the local range... this range requires shooting a RIFLE .. on the rifle portion of their range.. only target setups are at 100 yards.... i could cover a 5 shot group with the palm of my hand using a bench rest at 100 yards... ... surely this is accurate enough  to shoot USPSA ..

My point ????  .......   you don't need a 14.5" or a 16" barrel for USPSA ...

Interesting.  My results with that same barrel were different than yours.  I’ll try retesting it with different loads over the next week or two.

Also, I’ve had very different results with different brands of bullets.  Perhaps it’s time to try that with better quality ones with this barrel. Not sure what I used before.  With the 14.4” barrel, using good bullets I can pretty much drop rounds on top of each other at 10 yards, but with Brand X I’m seeing more like 2.5-3.0” groups.

I have the pinned 14.5" with the 3-port comp, not the new vertical one.  The only advantage I see to the 16" threaded model is cleaning of the comp as it would be easier to soak (maybe ultrasonic?) and it is easier to get to the barrel crown.  They get REALLY dirty and are tough to clean when welded.  I'd still go the same route if I did it over again.  

PHil   

Only advantage to 16” is being able to change compensators easily, disadvantage is weight 

14.5 advantage is lighter weight, 14.5 disadvantage is comp is pinned and welded. 

Personally I went with a shooting innovations 14.5” barrel and apa comp. imo shooting innovations has one of the best barrels out because of the weight and ramp. It is also very accurate. Mbx is another good barrel with a 13.6” barrel and 2.6” comp. Another hot ticket is brekke comp and barrel 10.5 or 12.5 with a shroud to make the difference. 

On 7/7/2020 at 8:23 PM, philmadxx said:

I have the pinned 14.5" with the 3-port comp, not the new vertical one.  The only advantage I see to the 16" threaded model is cleaning of the comp as it would be easier to soak (maybe ultrasonic?) and it is easier to get to the barrel crown.  They get REALLY dirty and are tough to clean when welded.  I'd still go the same route if I did it over again.  

PHil   

Before shooting a match Spray it with welding anti splatter 

Edited by Bwillis
On 7/7/2020 at 10:19 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

If the 14.5 is easier for a timer to pick up it might save aggravation from reshoots.

if an experienced RO knows what they are doing.. re-shoots are a mute point..