Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do any serious competitors use CCI primers for anything?

I have ran through about 10000 CCI primers in my X 5s since January and had 2-3 light strikes.  I blame the gun more than the hardness of the primer.  Once I cleaned the striker and striker chamber I no longer had any issues with light strikes.  Keep fresh springs in and it should not be an issue.  I prefer Federal and CCI primers because they seem to have less issues loading into primer tubes (using DA Primer Pro) and I rarely have an issue loading those primers in my 1050.  Tends to be a brass issue when I drag a primer more than it is a primer issue.  

On 7/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

This. Unlike Winchesters, CCIs are actually round.

Huh, no wonder I've always had so much trouble getting Winchesters to smoothly flow down the tray.

Never occurred to me.

Anyway, I make sure my semi autos can eat any pistol primer without complaint so that I don't have to stress about it when selection gets scarce as it is now.  Out of the four revolvers I own, only one is finicky and gets Federals even though all of them have excellent triggers.

I started shooting IPSC/USPSA and reloading 7 years ago. I shot 2-3 matches a month on average, so probably far from being a serious competitor. All I used are CCIs and Murom primers which are harder than CCIs. Never had any issues with them in my SDB. All my guns are okay with them too (CZ, Glocks 17/19, Beretta 92). But it seems that most of my friends who shoot limited and open (custom 2011) prefer federal.

I use CCI, Winchester, and S&B (RIP) in both pistol and rifle with no ill effects, but only in guns with factory power mainsprings. High primers are what tend to cause me issues rather than the primer itself, so part of my ammo gauging process is to watch and feel the primer to see if it looks derpy.

Of course, anything with a reduced power mainspring is Federal territory for me.

• 1 year later...