Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
obsessiveshooter

Do any serious competitors use CCI primers for anything?

I'm not sure I'll be able to find my go-to Winchester primers before A3.  Should I be concerned about my single action pistol lighting off CCI primers with a 21 lb hammer spring, if I took extra care to fully seat the primers? It would be nice to know that I can use any primers I find in stock.  From years of reading the forums, I've come to believe that CCI primers cups are made of depleted uranium, or shavings from Thor's hammer.      

I'd give them a thorough try, well before the A3.

But, I can't imagine you'll be unable to find WWSP's.

My TruBor seem to set off anything, including Russian primers, but my BHP sets them off about 50% of the time.

I'm not sure I'll be able to find my go-to Winchester primers before A3.  Should I be concerned about my single action pistol lighting off CCI primers with a 21 lb hammer spring, if I took extra care to fully seat the primers? It would be nice to know that I can use any primers I find in stock.  From years of reading the forums, I've come to believe that CCI primers cups are made of depleted uranium, or shavings from Thor's hammer.      

I run CCI in my practice and local match ammo in my limited 2011s and my CZ shadow 2 with 8.5 pound hammer spring. No failures to fire after at least 10k between all guns since March.

I load on both a 1050 and 650. I pay a little more attention on the 650 and crush the primer in slightly. You should have no issues with them.

I do use federal primers for major matches

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My 2011 runs CCI just fine.

I've used CCI primers for years in my CTS 40 (Custom Tactical Sport)  No problems whatsoever! 

I do switch to "softer" primers when shooting double action (production or Revo) because of the lighter spring tension in those guns. 

CCI primers are all that I use large rifle, small rifle and some large pistol. I used small rifle in all my handguns.

1 hour ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Your single action pistol with the 21 lb hammer spring should light them off every time. 

Where CCI primers can cause some issue is in double action guns that have the main spring lowered a lot.  CCI is usually fine even then, most of the time, if you have an extended firing pin and reduced firing pin spring.

CCI's seem to be more concentric than the Winchesters which work better in the primer feed tubes.

I’ve run CCI exclusively for the past 40,000 rounds. Aside from being harder than other brands, they’re some of the highest quality primers out there.

They definitely run through a vibraprime, 650, and 1050 more smoothly than Winchesters do. 

Any hammer or striker-fired gun running a reasonable amount of spring will eat them flawlessly.

Don’t be afraid of them. A lot of us highly PREFER them to winchester primers.

9 minutes ago, SnipTheDog said:

CCI's seem to be more concentric than the Winchesters which work better in the primer feed tubes.

This. Unlike Winchesters, CCIs are actually round.

Posted (edited)

With the current primer shortage, you want to setup your equipment to use any primers you can find.

Edited by dannyd

I've used CCI in M&P's with the lightest spring full Apex kit, as well as many other guns including a 2011 with trigger job and never had an issue. 

I prefer CCI when I can find them because they're smoother than Winchester in the primer tube. 

This is good news, thanks everyone! I'll give them a try. It would be a bonus if they help smooth out the finicky priming on my Lee press.

1 hour ago, obsessiveshooter said:

This is good news, thanks everyone! I'll give them a try. It would be a bonus if they help smooth out the finicky priming on my Lee press.

Winchester primers feed worse than any primer in the Universe so it will definitely improve

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Winchester primers feed worse than any primer in the Universe so it will definitely improve

As I stated above... Strongly agree.

OP, I actually run CCI 550 (SP Magnum) primers in everything. They run just fine and are usually slightly easier to find.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I quit using WW primers, too many misfires.

I use CCI and Remington and Federal.

My 1911 has a 19# hammer spring.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:43 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

OP, I actually run CCI 550 (SP Magnum) primers in everything.

How about for .223 loads?

I just got CCI for first time normally use Winchester or Federal. I am not worried about them, I run extra strength spring all time so shouldn't be an issue.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:13 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

Should be  fine.  My 2011 has either a 17 or 18lb mainspring and lights off CCI with zero issues.  I have one striker-fired gun with an overly light striker spring which has occasional light strikes on CCI - but it has the same issue with Winchesters too. 

I'd rather use CCI than Winchester. 

In my 2011 it doesn't matter though, it lights everything with the 19 pound spring. The only time I have to use $$ primers is in my tanfo when I want to use weak springs

I prefer CCI over any other primer.  All my 2011's work 100% with them.  

35 years ago CCI's were easy to store in those little boxes.